Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-14-2021, 03:26 PM
redz
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ghost ring BL22 rear sight

So I saw this Ghost Ring rear blade in the 10/22 section and thought it might work as a replacement on the BL22 sight. Turns out it is a little bit wider than the BL22 factory blade. But it is close, and a little file work will be needed, but it will work. I wanted to pass on the tip. Created by Cay from Canada is the source. He did have a sponsor ad on this forum. Here it is on my BL22. Works like a charm once you get it fitted. Holes line up just the overall width just needs to be fitted.

Old 03-14-2021, 03:29 PM
redz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My " Christmas present " from my wife. The weather finally cleared up enough I could use it.

BL22 checking out how the Ghost Ring rear blade would do. Absolutely fun little gun plinking the plates.

Old 03-14-2021, 04:14 PM
72 chevy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the tip. I got a new BL-22 yesterday, and was thinking about a peep sight. It's been a while since I have used open sights for anything but a handgun, my eyes are older than they used to be. does the peep sight make a noticeable difference for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2021, 04:35 PM
redz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
72chevy, yes it helps me . I am very much near sighted so I can't normally see the front sight well. Also 64 years don't make easy either. The ring helps me see the front sight clearer. I think the Ghost Ring blade was 18 dollars , so might be worth a try for you. Good luck , the BL22 is a fun little gun to shoot !
Old 03-14-2021, 05:07 PM
72 chevy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the info, just ordered the set. It is a blast to shoot. I took it out back after it's initial cleaning and put a few rounds through it. Off of a bench at 30 yards, my five shot group was around 2", a little high and right. My 19 year old son had a similar size group, but a tick low and to the left. Guess we look through the sights a little different. Considering that the front sight covers around 2" at 30 yards, I was impressed, especially with the hard time I was having seeing the notch in the rear sight. We backed up to 65 yards and were able to hit an 8" steel plate freehanded around 8-9 out of 10 shots.

Last edited by 72 chevy; 03-14-2021 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:52 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That sight looks great, and probably does work really well. I have Bl-22's, Winchester 9422 & Marlin 39A's. I prefer to shoot my beater BL-22 more than all my other rifles. They are just fun and easy to shoot. My Beater that I like so well before I received it someone drilled and tapped the receiver for a Williams FP peep sight. Love that sight on mine.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:25 PM
redz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree, I to have several others but the BL22 is quick handling and just plain fun. The sight works great for me.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:43 AM
68bonne

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up BL-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by redz View Post
So I saw this Ghost Ring rear blade in the 10/22 section and thought it might work as a replacement on the BL22 sight. Turns out it is a little bit wider than the BL22 factory blade. But it is close, and a little file work will be needed, but it will work. I wanted to pass on the tip. Created by Cay from Canada is the source. He did have a sponsor ad on this forum. Here it is on my BL22. Works like a charm once you get it fitted. Holes line up just the overall width just needs to be fitted.

I used one of these sight blades on my Micro Midas works great As you stated just needs to be filed on sides a bit.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:05 AM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Normally having a peep so far from the eye doesn't work out that well, in this case it does because the aperture is so large.
That looks like the folding peep that came on the older Mini Ranch rifles.
A Marbles "Bullseye" leaf sight with circle that fits in the rear dovetail slot works on the same principle.

If you have trouble seeing the front sight in focus due to aging eyes, you want to do the exact opposite, go to a much smaller aperture.
This, in effect increases your depth of field, a smaller aperture in the range of .040" to .060" will make the front sight appear sharp again.
Of course to use a very small aperture, you will need to have the peep as close to your eye as possible, on the receiver, not out on the barrel.

Like this Skinner peep with .050" "Twilight" brass ringed aperture:
Old 03-15-2021, 07:00 PM
redz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sandog, good information. I just kinda stumbled blind into this but your post does make sense. Some times you just get lucky like me and some times you know what you're doing , like you. LOL !
Old 06-07-2021, 05:58 PM
ViperR

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Reviving this thread and have a couple of questions for sandog, since you have been using a Skinner on yours.
I am putting on a Skinner peep on mine once it gets here.
My question to you is about a few things.
I believe I remember a post by you that you had to have the rear aperture all the way down for it to work on "what height front sight"? What is the height you installed or is it the OEM one?
Also, I saw in your pic that you left the OEM rear in place with it just folded down. Does that interfere with your sight picture?
Thanks for any help!!
Old 06-07-2021, 06:25 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
Reviving this thread and have a couple of questions for sandog, since you have been using a Skinner on yours.
I am putting on a Skinner peep on mine once it gets here.
My question to you is about a few things.
I believe I remember a post by you that you had to have the rear aperture all the way down for it to work on "what height front sight"? What is the height you installed or is it the OEM one?
Also, I saw in your pic that you left the OEM rear in place with it just folded down. Does that interfere with your sight picture?
Thanks for any help!!
I ordered the Skinner peep, with their .600 brass partridge for mine. It showed up today, and will be a few days until I get it set up. From all the threads that I could find, the .600 will need filed down a little. I also ordered the dovetail filler to remove the factory rear sight.
There is information on how much front blade to remove on the Skinner website. I was planning on setting my peep in the middle of elevation adjustment, then removing material from the front until zeroed. I figured that would give me the best adjustment range. Letting adjustment for yardage and ammo differences, I hope.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:18 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
ViperR,
Just finished installing the Skinner rear peep on my Micro Midas, very easy to install. The front sight I did not even have to file the sight blade. Suggestion though, when installing the front sight use a thin piece of card board between the sight and the brass punch. If not you will dent that sight a little. I did not even have to file my front sight to install.

I started with the .500 front sight but have the .600 for back up incase the .500 is to low. Working 11hrs. a day this week so it will be this weekend before I can sight her in at 25 yards.

The fold down sight does not get in the way at all of the Skinner sight picture.

I put the .500 on my regular BL-22 and using a Williams side mounted peep on the receiver (tapped and drilled) the Williams has to be set all the way down but it is prefect at 25 yards. I believe the Skinner set up a little higher than the Williams so I figure I will have to switch to the .600 but want that sight set as low as possible so maybe not. We will see.

Last edited by jstanfield103; 06-07-2021 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:49 PM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I'm pretty sure my front sight is a .650", and it is almost too short, hence the rear sight being down as far as possible.

I had the aperture post on the Skinner down all the way and needed a bit more.
So I took out the aperture, gave the post another 1/2 turn down and put the aperture back in.
I keep it sighted for 50 yards.

In preparation for the long awaited Skinner peep that I'm getting for my (non standard) top drilled first year Marlin Mountie, I ordered 5 different height front sights to find one to be right with the Skinner.
They are all the Marble's 1/16 Ivory bead. But none are tall enough for the BL-22.
The Marlin has a ramp, so sights that are .240" to .385" can fit in it and still be tall enough.

That .650" is a tall sight, there might be a few that are taller if need be, like the Skinner-file-down-the-blank-to where-you-need-it.
For those of you that can zoom in this photo, the .650" blade on the BL-22 is almost as tall as the Marlin one that has a hood and ramp underneath the blade.
But that is what I needed, one of these days I'll find a .670" or .675" front sight and it'll be perfect for the BL.

Last edited by sandog; 06-07-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:59 AM
ViperR

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Thank you sandog, jst and hawkeye!
When I get my order, it will include .500 & .600 fronts. I'll fit them both and go from there.
I like hawkeye's idea of setting the rear mid way for adjustments up & down.
Looks like trial and error for the best front height.