Factory 50 yard BR - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:30 AM
Rick H.
National Guard Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

The way some people take care of their rifles it isn't a stretch to believe they may have damaged a barrel just through improper cleaning. Even damaging a muzzle crown can be heartbreaking and accuracy stealing. I would find someone with a good bore scope to look at the inside of the chamber and barrel to make sure things are up to snuff. And take a real close look at the muzzle crown under magnification. While the new cheaper bore scopes are okay the Hawkeye scope really comes into its own looking for stuff like this.

Rick H.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:38 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Seems like our benchrest crowd also has a bunch of guys that were into cars and drag racing, bikes and moto, etc. I have asked them when was the last time a factory car won a race in a factory class. Reply always the same. NEVER

Just something to think about.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:09 AM
RAVAGE
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlnbyr View Post
Seems like our benchrest crowd also has a bunch of guys that were into cars and drag racing, bikes and moto, etc. I have asked them when was the last time a factory car won a race in a factory class. Reply always the same. NEVER

Just something to think about.
Very interesting perspective and I also find it interesting about the prior involvement in some type of motorsport....I still build custom Harley's as a way to not always mess with firearms.

I'm considering using my old Winchester 52D that I fitted a newer (non-factory) barrel. It was a basket case when I traded into it but now has new life.

MB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2021, 04:03 PM
Notime2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
vinbyr, Since you mentioned it, look up Jay Leno's 427 Cobra vs Tesla race. Notime2
Old 03-05-2021, 08:20 AM
Stockcrafter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps2486 View Post
Someone else proposed this in another forum and one of the limits was the cost of the gun at $1000. Seems to me that there is a huge difference in guns costing between $400 and $3000.
This brings up a question that I have been wondering about for a while and have not found an answer yet. I have an Anschutz Mod. 1413 that I bought new in 1965 for $250 complete with all factory accessories including the int. set trigger. Would this meet the cost standard according to the rules? The cost of an equivalent rifle today would of course cost considerably more, but if we are talking about using a Win. 52D, or Rem 40-X, I assume old rifles are OK by the rules?
Old 03-06-2021, 05:50 AM
rexxon123456
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
borescope

Well I did as suggested at found someone who has a borescope and has been shooting BR for decades. He asked me if I cleaned the rifle, and I told him I did. We borescoped it and I was surprised how much carbon was still in there and copper(not from my bullets) Well he cleaned it for me and really did some deep cleaning. I have always been taught to stay away from aggressive use of any rod work with rifle barrels. But he was patient and took his time looking at the patches and scoping as we went along.
He said he thinks I will see a marked improvement now.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:03 AM
rexxon123456
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
WOW what a difference

Took 40xb to range after the deep cleaning and all I can say is WOW. What a difference a deep cleaning by someone who has done it before makes. Also after some instructions by my same friend. I know how to keep it clean after range session so hopefully I can keep it from getting in the same condition. It shot SK rifle match good, Eley black box OK, but she really came into her own with RWS R-50.
Unfortunately I do not have much R-50 and as everyone knows ammo is scarce. So I will have to depend on the SK rifle match and SK pistol match until the shortage is over. Thanks for all the input
Old 03-11-2021, 08:26 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good to hear. This offers evidence that cleaning is better than not cleaning.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:35 AM
jps2486

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockcrafter View Post
This brings up a question that I have been wondering about for a while and have not found an answer yet. I have an Anschutz Mod. 1413 that I bought new in 1965 for $250 complete with all factory accessories including the int. set trigger. Would this meet the cost standard according to the rules? The cost of an equivalent rifle today would of course cost considerably more, but if we are talking about using a Win. 52D, or Rem 40-X, I assume old rifles are OK by the rules?
This will be hard to quantify. As in any competitive event, the quest for better scores will result in people buying better rifles and ammo, leaving the guy with the Mossberg and a Remington Bucket of Bullets in the dust.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:58 AM
d2wing
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexxon123456 View Post
Took 40xb to range after the deep cleaning and all I can say is WOW. What a difference a deep cleaning by someone who has done it before makes. Also after some instructions by my same friend. I know how to keep it clean after range session so hopefully I can keep it from getting in the same condition. It shot SK rifle match good, Eley black box OK, but she really came into her own with RWS R-50.
Unfortunately I do not have much R-50 and as everyone knows ammo is scarce. So I will have to depend on the SK rifle match and SK pistol match until the shortage is over. Thanks for all the input
Excellent. I also find that a good cleaning is important to accuracy. I was going to suggest taking it to a gunsmith to find out what was wrong as it should be great. Glad for you.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:59 AM
Mistert

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockcrafter View Post
You will have to shoot unlimited in ARA Anschutz are specifically spelled out, that being said why not, shoot unlimited you’ve got the best of the best.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:26 PM
W8LON

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ARA Factory Rifle approved rifle list

Approved rifle list for Factory ARA Matches

https://www.americanrimfire.com/medi.../> Rules<br />https://www.americanrimfire.com/medi...RA2020ver7.pdf

A 40X, Anschutz or Vudoo puts you in with the Unlimited Class rifles same as my Martini's and likely an old Mossberg L43 I have as it was built as a target rifle.

Last edited by W8LON; 05-16-2021 at 09:31 PM.