Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-15-2021, 03:56 PM
ptelite

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger Charger Setup with Folding Brace

I am about to pick up an older Charger with the gray laminate stock and want to upgrade it to a stock that will allow for me to use a folding brace since it does not seem to be a possibility with the one that is on it (I don't have it yet so not 100% sure if this is true).

Best I can tell, I either need a stock with a built in picatinny mount on the rear or one that will allow for an adapter. I am more than familiar with 10/22 options but have not really messed with the Chargers before so just looking for some recommendations. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2021, 07:12 PM
9x19

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
If you want to stay with the factory stock, then yes you need one of the synthetic stocks. As you said, some were shipped with the pic rail adapter, while others were not, but those can be fitted with one.

The synthetics are a bit difficult to locate right now, but there are also a few chassis options on the market that will let you do what you want.

Take a look thru this section of RFC and you'll find several threads that talk about those.

Good luck
Old 02-01-2021, 03:13 PM
Slipkid
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
S&P Outfitters has a number of adapter options. They even have a an adapter that will fit an AR buffer tube to a laminate stock.

https://sapoutfitters.com/product-ca...harger-stocks/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2021, 04:55 PM
X-Raycer
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipkid View Post
S&P Outfitters has a number of adapter options. They even have a an adapter that will fit an AR buffer tube to a laminate stock.

https://sapoutfitters.com/product-ca...harger-stocks/
From my experience buying it the UTG SIDE FOLDING STOCK/BRACE ADAPTOR TL-K7FAD01 is a piece of junk.
Unless you have the strength of a gorilla you will not be able to get it to unlock and fold over.

Last edited by X-Raycer; 02-27-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:49 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raycer View Post
From my experience buying it the UTG SIDE FOLDING STOCK/BRACE ADAPTOR TL-K7FAD01 is a piece of junk.
Unless you have the strength of a gorilla you will not be able to get it to unlock and fold over.
That's a pretty clear indication that you're doing it wrong.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:55 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptelite View Post
I am about to pick up an older Charger with the gray laminate stock and want to upgrade it to a stock that will allow for me to use a folding brace since it does not seem to be a possibility with the one that is on it (I don't have it yet so not 100% sure if this is true).

Best I can tell, I either need a stock with a built in picatinny mount on the rear or one that will allow for an adapter. I am more than familiar with 10/22 options but have not really messed with the Chargers before so just looking for some recommendations. Thanks!
If you have patience, and don't mind spending over $200 for a chassis, then you can get on the waiting list for an Enoch Industries chassis. Anothet option is S&P Outfitters. They sometimes have the factory Charger stock with a rear Picatinny rail adapter. Otherwise, you can try to source the factory polymer stock, and then buy an aftermarket adapter. The stock itself is going to be hard to track down right now though.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:52 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
If I was building a faux sbr, I certainly wouldn’t be building one in 22 lr. For about the same money i could build a AR pistol with a brace.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:53 AM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
If I was building a faux sbr, I certainly wouldn’t be building one in 22 lr. For about the same money i could build a AR pistol with a brace.
I've built two ARs for hundreds less than what many of my Chargers would cost to build. But this isn't AR15.com, is it? My nephews and my friend's kids shoot my rimfires a lot. Can you shoot your AR pistol all afternoon for $30?
Old 02-28-2021, 06:25 PM
TXNimrod
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool

Indeed. I’ve built ARs too, but frankly enjoy my tactical Charger more. Quality cannot be quantified by the lowest price...

Old 02-28-2021, 08:43 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNimrod View Post
Indeed. I’ve built ARs too, but frankly enjoy my tactical Charger more. Quality cannot be quantified by the lowest price...

Taking that a step further, if fun is the goal, then the Charger is worth the extra coin. If we're talking defensive weapons, I would prefer to not go cheap on an AR.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:47 AM
DrewBone

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndustryOutsider View Post
I've built two ARs for hundreds less than what many of my Chargers would cost to build...
That's only because an AR can be built for less $$ due to the commonality of and the sheer numbers of parts providers, and by contrast you choose to bLiNg out your Charger builds with specialized aftermarket $200+ chassis systems, bright colored anodized aluminum receiver and trigger groups, tensioned carbon fiber barrels, skeletonized pistol grips, etc.

I built mine for not much more than what an actual Ruger Charger pistol costs and it performs just as good or better - yet was completely catered to my requirements. It doesn't have bells and whistles, but I like it that way as bells and whistles do absolutely nothing for me. And although it's stock has the ability to mount a brace adapter, I consider them afterthought-afterbirth butt ugly so I haven't mounted one; oh the horror

Below is my dedicated .22LR AR pistol build...again, it's not covered in bLiNg nor did I spend alot of money building it, yet it works well as "simple" as it is:

It's a common misconception in the machismo driven firearm realm, especially amongst newbies, that simply throwing more money at a firearm will make it "better", but that's not always the case...unless of course one were suffering from NPD, in which case that individuals firearm(s) will always be "the best" - and everyone elses will remain forever inferior
Old 03-01-2021, 09:19 AM
albinpdx
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You do NOT have to get a plastic stock to be able to mount your brace. The laminate stocks do not have the removable insert on the rear but it is quite easy to cut the point off and screw on a pignose adapter . Mine came from Copper Customs. Mount the adapter, then thread in your brace. Pretty easy! I wrapped my stock with carbon fiber......but it is the stock laminate wood underneath.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg charger.jpg (178.3 KB, 478 views)
Old 03-01-2021, 04:13 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBone View Post
That's only because an AR can be built for less $$ due to the commonality of and the sheer numbers of parts providers, and by contrast you choose to bLiNg out your Charger builds with specialized aftermarket $200+ chassis systems, bright colored anodized aluminum receiver and trigger groups, tensioned carbon fiber barrels, skeletonized pistol grips, etc.

I built mine for not much more than what an actual Ruger Charger pistol costs and it performs just as good or better - yet was completely catered to my requirements. It doesn't have bells and whistles, but I like it that way as bells and whistles do absolutely nothing for me. And although it's stock has the ability to mount a brace adapter, I consider them afterthought-afterbirth butt ugly so I haven't mounted one; oh the horror

Below is my dedicated .22LR AR pistol build...again, it's not covered in bLiNg nor did I spend alot of money building it, yet it works well as "simple" as it is:

It's a common misconception in the machismo driven firearm realm, especially amongst newbies, that simply throwing more money at a firearm will make it "better", but that's not always the case...unless of course one were suffering from NPD, in which case that individuals firearm(s) will always be "the best" - and everyone elses will remain forever inferior
The whole point of most of the Chargers I have built is to show other people what is available. Because there is a huge demand for $200+ chassis systems, parts in colors other than black, along with lightweight barrels and grips. Even the $400 chassis systems are sold out lately. And nearly every other part too, in any color, including $200+ barrels and trigger groups. Not everyone wants a nose-heavy, DIY Charger with a barrel that looks like it's not seated properly in the channel. Which is what makes this site so great. If someone wants to build one on a budget, there are plenty of examples, yours included. If someone wants to go nuts, there's no shortage of examples there either.

I built a Charger for a friend with the sole purpose of being a reliable rabbit gun for long days in the field. It was around $300, and he loves it. But the current trend is a light chassis with a brace, sleeved barrel, and possibly a suppressor. Which describes many of mine. Those different color options are driven by market demand as well. I'm not telling people that's what they should build, I'm just demonstrating options. Budget is never a big consideration for my builds though. I have a dealer account for receivers and most other parts. And I work with many companies doing T&E, product photography, and marketing. I've been a 10/22 enthusiast since 1988, and now I can leverage my passion for shooting with my photography and writing skills. When someone can get hundreds of dollars worth of photos in exchange for product, everyone is happy. I share my photos not because I think that what I built is the best, but to start a dialog with like-minded enthusiasts. Which is why we're both here, right?

Your "machismo driven firearm realm" sounds like another reference to AR15.com. Because what I see in the new 10/22 owners is kids that realize the factory trigger isn't all that great. And then they want to upgrade the barrel and stock. But few take the time to find the right ammo. So they are certainly building better firearms, it's just that they won't be able to take full advantage of its potential. But they are better than factory in nearly every way.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:22 AM
cleatis1234

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptelite View Post

Copper Custom will machine your Charger stock to accept their pistol brace adapter.

https://sur.ly/o/coppercustom.com/AA000014
Old 04-06-2021, 07:47 PM
cleatis1234

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
AR Pistol, 9mm (using magazine adapter, not included in price); Lower - $75.00, bolt - $150.00, upper receiver - $60.00, barrel - $150.000, handguard - $90.00, brace - $130.00, buffer - $35.00 Total - $690.00

Ruger 10/22 Charger: Gun - $390.00 (Covid pricing in effect!!), brace/buffer tube from S&P Outfitters - $145.00 with adapter, not folding, $535.00

I didn't go nuts on either one with regards to bling, but I didn't go cheap either. You can spend as much as you want for either, but you don't have to. Neither includes the optic.