Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-28-2019, 06:53 PM
buckeroo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
BROKE my BL-22 Completely in Two

File this one under the completely preventable mishap category! I was walking through my house with my BL 22 on its strap over my shoulder headed outside to shoot when the screw in pin that holds the strap together popped out and the barrel end of the gun went forward and smacked the kitchen floor resulting in what you see here.
The butt stock must have a rod that connects it to the receiver and it hit just perfectly and snapped off as you see.

Lesson learned, if you have the type of strap I do, always check your screws holding the strap into the metal strap loop.

I am no gunsmith and havent taken this in yet, but any guesses on how my Smith may repair this?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2019, 07:07 PM
izhm

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Easy fix if the receiver is steel and not pot metal . The smith should be able to weld the broken sections to each other . Be sure he or she has welding experience ,if not take it to someone who can .

Last edited by izhm; 10-28-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:29 PM
buckeroo

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by izhm View Post
Easy fix if the receiver is steel and not pot metal . The smith should be able to weld the broken sections to each other . Be sure he or she has welding experience ,if not take it to someone who can .
Interesting you used the term pot metal. I know nothing, but can't help to think that the metal consistency on the receiver looks odd to me and pot metal came to mind. I know it is a Browning, but.......

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2019, 09:57 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would call browning and see what they say about repairing it. May cost more but should be like new again.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:19 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper bill View Post
I would call browning and see what they say about repairing it. May cost more but should be like new again.
That is what I would do.

That metal sure looks porous to me.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:18 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I believe that the metal to that part is the only metal that is not steel. It is an alloy of some sort. Would not thought that would have ever broken there.
Good Luck hope all goes well.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:01 AM
stringnut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The receiver is steel. The rod is cast. Not sure if aluminum or steel alloy. Check it with a magnet. Hopefully the receiver is threaded and the broken piece can be fairly easily removed. After that it would be a simple replacement of the broken piece.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:39 AM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would see what threads are remaining in the receiver and check to see if it could be threaded deeper. If so, counter drill the stock enough to allow those threads to be used.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:41 AM
Bladeswitcher

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper bill View Post

Or, they MIGHT stand behind the gun under warranty. Stranger things have happened. You'll never know if you don't give them the chance.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:50 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love my BL-22, but I'm not a fan of aluminum (or pot metal) in a firearm.
You need a new frame. The cost of a new one will probably be less than a repair attempt. Browning part number B2464600...should be $50-60 for the part.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:23 AM
armabill
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yes, as suggested- do call Browning. All they can say is no, it's worth a shot (no pun intended- well maybe a little).
Old 10-29-2019, 11:06 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
I love my BL-22, but I'm not a fan of aluminum (or pot metal) in a firearm.
You need a new frame. The cost of a new one will probably be less than a repair attempt. Browning part number B2464600...should be $50-60 for the part.
This.

$53.25 and must be installed by Browning or a gunsmith.

https://www.browning.com/content/dam...-432-bl-22.pdf

Part #31 on the schematic.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:09 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (56)
I don't see a welding repair there.
I see using a large Easyout to back out the broken stub,(with perhaps some heat to soften threadlock if it's used there) and then installing a new tube.
Little things can result in a lot of damage, as you found out.
I once failed to alternate tightening the hex screws a few times with a a BKL unitized mount.When I tilted the muzzle upward, the mount slid back off of the receiver.I instinctively grabbed for it, which drove the edge of the mount into the comb of the rifle, leaving a deep gouge.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:19 PM
WalnutBill22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree with Camster - the hard part is going to be getting the threaded part off the rod. Once you've done that, I think I would try something like good old JB Weld to reattach the broken piece. You'll probably have to build it up just a bit around the edges and be careful not to get it on the threads.
If this doesn't work, I believe you could have the hole drilled out and insert a threaded tube, secured with epoxy (or JB Weld), kind of like a barrel liner. If you can find a good machine shop, they should be able to help you.
Best of luck with it.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:52 PM
toyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i've taken mine apart numerous times and honestly was surprised on the
poor quality metal they used.this confirms my theories.