Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:35 PM
TennSquire
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Model 541-T Sporter Upgrade

I recently purchased a Remington model 541-T Sporter rimfire rifle in 22 LR. It's a little different than the 541-S Sporter. Not as embellished on the receiver, and a stock similar to a 700 BDL.

But this rifle had a custom Circassian walnut stock with quite a few extras. It has high polished bluing on all metal parts including the barrel, receiver, bolt, lower magazine plate, trigger guard, and custom pistol grip cap. It has inletted sling studs, and a checkered metal buttpad that is curved and inletted into the stock on the top. It has 30 LPI hand-cut checkering on the pistol grip and forend. And a real ebony wood forend tip.

I mounted a Leupold VX2, 3-9X33 AO Ultralight gloss scope on the gun using Talley lightweight aluminum mounts where the lower ring is integral with the base.

The rifle is an absolute tack driver. The only problem I had was with the heavy trigger pull, and of course the plastic magazine, but I can't fix that! I removed the barreled action from the stock, then the bolt from the receiver. I removed the trigger housing assembly, and took out the factory trigger spring. These are known to be pretty heavy and the source of the heavy trigger pull.

I searched around in my many parts boxes to find another spring that had the same outside diameter of the factory spring, but a thinner gauge with less force required to compress it. I found just the spring. A Remington 870 firing pin spring. Same outside diameter, but smaller, thinner wire gauge.

I cut the 870 spring the same length as the factory spring so it would fit properly into the trigger housing slot, and not extend any higher and interfere with the sear. I reattached the trigger housing to the receiver, and inserted the bolt. Using my Timney trigger gauge I tested the trigger pull. Previously with the factory spring it was between 4 3/4 to 5 pounds. Now it was at 1 1/2 pounds and very crisp. I made a minor adjustment to the overtravel screw to take out some overtravel movement. I did not touch the sear engagement screw. It still had the factory red sealant on it. I did experiment with the pull weight adjustment screw. If I turned it in a full rotation from the original setting, the pull would go up to around 2 1/2 pounds. If I backed it 1/2 rotation from it's original setting the pull would reduce to 1 pound. I put it back at the 1 1/2 pound setting and put some red fingernail polish on all the screw threads to maintain the settings.

I reassembled the gun and tested the trigger pull again, about a dozen times. I always use snap caps in my rimfire rifles during dry firing. The trigger pull varied only plus or minus a couple ounces either side of 1 1/2 pounds. Perfect for me. I tested the safety and also the sear engagement. Cocking the gun, putting it on safe, and pulling the trigger. Then flipping the safety off real fast after pulling the trigger. No problems. I put a towel on the floor and tried the "bump test" with the safety on and off. No accidental firings.

Time to take it to the range and get it sighted back in. After zeroing the gun I shot some 5-shot groups at 50 yds with Federal Gold Medal UM22 Ultra Match ammo. I felt good about the trigger pull mod and the gun shot really well. I think I'll keep it. It won't replace my Anschutz 1710 DKL Monte Carlo as my squirrel rifle, but it's a nice looking gun and will shoot really small groups, plus it cost only half as much as my Anschutz did.

Thought I'd post my experience of changing the trigger spring on my 541-T Sporter. I know the 541-S Sporter has a similar trigger housing. I've never seen the trigger housing on the 541-X Government Trainer, but heard they are different in that they have no adjustments on them. They may use the same spring and sear, though.

So you don't have to search the internet and pay big bucks for a "custom lighter pull trigger spring" for your 541 rifles. Just buy a Remington 870 firing pin spring for around $5, cut it the same length as the 541 factory trigger spring, and you're good to go for a reduced trigger pull.

I do want to caution that I am not a certified gunsmith, nor do I claim to be. I did this modification at my own risk and for my own use. I do not modify any firearms owned by other individuals. I work only on my own guns and after doing as much research as the internet and my friends will allow. I do have one friend who is a professional gunsmith and I pass a lot of my "trial and error" modifications by him before attempting them. So please understand that I posted this as "at your own risk" information.

Rod

Last edited by TennSquire; 03-25-2019 at 04:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-25-2019, 04:53 PM
popcornkid

TPC Rating: 
86% (5)
Smile

Wow, that's a beauty and a shooter too
Old 03-25-2019, 06:37 PM
Hippy

TPC Rating: 
78% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennSquire View Post
I recently purchased a Remington model 541-T Sporter rimfire rifle in 22 LR. It's a little different than the 541-S Sporter. Not as embellished on the receiver, and a stock similar to a 700 BDL.

But this rifle had a custom Circassian walnut stock with quite a few extras. It has high polished bluing on all metal parts including the barrel, receiver, bolt, lower magazine plate, trigger guard, and custom pistol grip cap. It has inletted sling studs, and a checkered metal buttpad that is curved and inletted into the stock on the top. It has 30 LPI hand-cut checkering on the pistol grip and forend. And a real ebony wood forend tip.

I mounted a Leupold VX2, 3-9X33 AO Ultralight gloss scope on the gun using Talley lightweight aluminum mounts where the lower ring is integral with the base.

The rifle is an absolute tack driver. The only problem I had was with the heavy trigger pull, and of course the plastic magazine, but I can't fix that! I removed the barreled action from the stock, then the bolt from the receiver. I removed the trigger housing assembly, and took out the factory trigger spring. These are known to be pretty heavy and the source of the heavy trigger pull.

I searched around in my many parts boxes to find another spring that had the same outside diameter of the factory spring, but a thinner gauge with less force required to compress it. I found just the spring. A Remington 870 firing pin spring. Same outside diameter, but smaller, thinner wire gauge.

I cut the 870 spring the same length as the factory spring so it would fit properly into the trigger housing slot, and not extend any higher and interfere with the sear. I reattached the trigger housing to the receiver, and inserted the bolt. Using my Timney trigger gauge I tested the trigger pull. Previously with the factory spring it was between 4 3/4 to 5 pounds. Now it was at 1 1/2 pounds and very crisp. I made a minor adjustment to the overtravel screw to take out some overtravel movement. I did not touch the sear engagement screw. It still had the factory red sealant on it. I did experiment with the pull weight adjustment screw. If I turned it in a full rotation from the original setting, the pull would go up to around 2 1/2 pounds. If I backed it 1/2 rotation from it's original setting the pull would reduce to 1 pound. I put it back at the 1 1/2 pound setting and put some red fingernail polish on all the screw threads to maintain the settings.

I reassembled the gun and tested the trigger pull again, about a dozen times. I always use snap caps in my rimfire rifles during dry firing. The trigger pull varied only plus or minus a couple ounces either side of 1 1/2 pounds. Perfect for me. I tested the safety and also the sear engagement. Cocking the gun, putting it on safe, and pulling the trigger. Then flipping the safety off real fast after pulling the trigger. No problems. I put a towel on the floor and tried the "bump test" with the safety on and off. No accidental firings.

Time to take it to the range and get it sighted back in. After zeroing the gun I shot some 5-shot groups at 50 yds with Federal Gold Medal UM22 Ultra Match ammo. I felt good about the trigger pull mod and the gun shot really well. I think I'll keep it. It won't replace my Anschutz 1710 DKL Monte Carlo as my squirrel rifle, but it's a nice looking gun and will shoot really small groups, plus it cost only half as much as my Anschutz did.

Thought I'd post my experience of changing the trigger spring on my 541-T Sporter. I know the 541-S Sporter has a similar trigger housing. I've never seen the trigger housing on the 541-X Government Trainer, but heard they are different in that they have no adjustments on them. They may use the same spring and sear, though.

So you don't have to search the internet and pay big bucks for a "custom lighter pull trigger spring" for your 541 rifles. Just buy a Remington 870 firing pin spring for around $5, cut it the same length as the 541 factory trigger spring, and you're good to go for a reduced trigger pull.

I do want to caution that I am not a certified gunsmith, nor do I claim to be. I did this modification at my own risk and for my own use. I do not modify any firearms owned by other individuals. I work only on my own guns and after doing as much research as the internet and my friends will allow. I do have one friend who is a professional gunsmith and I pass a lot of my "trial and error" modifications by him before attempting them. So please understand that I posted this as "at your own risk" information.

Rod

A REAL rifle with a Beautiful piece of wood--U did Good

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2019, 06:54 PM
NVaVettes
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Mighty nice for a Remington!

. . . says the guy with a bunch of Remingtons!

Old 03-25-2019, 07:08 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
[QUOTE=TennSquire;11417353]I recently purchased a Remington model 541-T Sporter rimfire rifle in 22 LR. It's a little different than the 541-S Sporter. Not as embellished on the receiver, and a stock similar to a 700 BDL.

Rod

Wish we lived closer,I need you to shoot a couple of mine!
Old 03-25-2019, 07:43 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow, that is an absolute beauty. I had one of those once, but the stock wasn't anything close to yours.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:58 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Very, very nice.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:09 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Nice rifle, nice shooting!
Old 03-26-2019, 07:09 PM
Bo-Didley

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Beautiful rifle.541 series rifles are my favorite.
Bo
Old 03-30-2019, 02:10 PM
Savagenut

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Beautiful !!
Old 03-30-2019, 04:53 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (280)
A really beautiful rifle! Congratulations!

Doug