Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-10-2021, 01:26 PM
Kiddshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Stiller Copper Head Bench Rest action info

Anyone know anything about the Stiller Copperhead action? It appears they were in prototype construction and after testing were going to be offered to the public to purchase. I think that was about 2011 or so. They had a double firing pin bolt and supposedly were specifically developed for Rimfire Benchrest. I have an opportunity to get a rifle with this action and a Benchmark 2 groove barrel. I don't want to spend the money if they didn't prove out to be a good design.
Thanks,
Kiddshooter
Old 06-15-2021, 03:51 AM
linekin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
I don't recall having heard they had dual firing pins. Perhaps they started with a 12 o'clock pin & later were introduced with a 6 o'clock pin? Hopefully someone who's been around them will respond.

edit: I did a little poking around & there were dual pin Copperheads. Not sure if they were always offered that way but will poke some more.
http://www.rimfireaccuracy.com/Forum...ght=copperhead

I think they were good actions & if priced right wouldn't hesitate to buy one myself. I think Stiller made some improvements over the years & eventually came up with the 2500's .

Keith

Last edited by linekin; 06-15-2021 at 04:28 AM.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:34 AM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Jerry Stiller is a very open guy. He will talk to you. Holeshot Arms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2021, 08:42 AM
Kiddshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Vinbyr,
I did speak with Jerry last week. He stated the Copperhead was designed with dual firing pins, 6 and 12 o'clock and was based on a 40X center lock design. They made about 100 to 200 that were sold to the public. He also said they were too expensive to manufacture was the reason they dropped the offering. He stated if it were his decision, he would build a new rifle using a 2500 action. The background on all the questions about this action and the 2 groove Benchmark barrel was, i was about to purchase the one listed in the classified section on here and was trying to find out as much information about performance of this combo before spending the $$$.
Thanks again.
Kiddshooter
Old 06-15-2021, 09:22 AM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Performance in one of these rifles is probably 95% barrel and ammo. If the rifle you refer to is in a true benchrest stock and has a tuner it is a decent buy.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:25 PM
Kiddshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That was an issue with it, not a true Bench Rest stock, had some cast in the Butt, it does have a tuner and after talking with Jerry, he stated he would change the barrel to one of the 4 groove designs, Muller, Shilen, Lilja, ect. I just decided I didn't want to buy it and have to start changing the barrel and stock and still not know if that Barrel would perform. I've had too many friends and fellow shooters have custom guns built that really didn't shoot that great and that was after a couple of them buying several barrels for the gunsmith to slug and pick the one he thought would be best to install.
I'm fortunate to have access to a large group of custom and high end factory rifles that belong to guys I shoot with all the time and quite frankly they don't shoot as well as I would expect for the dollars spent.
I have an old Anschutz 1807, proofed in 1982 that will shoot with them, so one thought is to change the stock on it and add a tuner and see how that works. Currently I have a wedge on the fore-end to make it more level in the rest but Its not the same as a true bench rest stock.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:24 PM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
The vast majority of these custom benchrest rifles will shoot very well. Where guys have problems is they haven't found the right ammo or the right set up or haven't learned how to shoot one.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:59 PM
Kiddshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm sure your right on all points. I do find the custom guns are easier to shoot well.
Thanks,
Jim
Old 06-16-2021, 11:29 AM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I always advise buying a good used gun. Most ARA shooters either have one they could sell or know someone who does.