Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:39 PM
Samuel_Hoggson
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Solutions for shoulder arthritis vary. If the need is reduced recoil impact to the triggering shoulder/clavicle, weight can be your friend. You might even prefer a 12 ga. OTOH, if the pointing arm is more affected reducing weight - especially forward distributed weight - will probably be the goal. That might suggest a 20 ga, or at least a shorter barrel in a field version 12 ga.

Problems on both sides further complicate things. But, all else equal, an A400 with KO will be the softest volume clays gun. Barrel length very much affects forward weight distribution. Couple M class guys transitioned from 391s to A400s. Used to longer barrels they bought the 30" and 32" guns, later gravitated toward the 28" A400s which are much "quicker".

Honestly, maintenance is not that big a deal on any of the Beretta gas autos.

ETA: don't know if you load your own, but the A400s are very reliable with reduced payloads, maybe even moreso than a 391. 3/4 oz in either 20 ga or 12 ga can be made to work very reliably.

Last edited by Samuel_Hoggson; 05-18-2021 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:07 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
For many years I shot Browning O/Us almost exclusively -- 4 (or more) rounds of skeet nearly every weekend, and sporting clays at times. But I've developed osteoarthritis in both shoulders and just cannot tolerate the recoil of a shotgun any longer. Years ago, I tried a couple different semi-autos -- an 1100 and, I'm pretty sure, a Benelli, but I don't remember which model -- and they came up short against my O/Us which I shot much better. Anyway, I miss shooting clays, and have been thinking about getting back in with a softer shooting gun. Maybe it's a pipe dream.

Doug
Doug, if the arthritis is not bothered by the weight of a 12 ga, the extra weight of a 12 , loaded with 3/4 oz or 7/8 oz loads will shoot quite a bit softer than a 20 ga. The downside is you have to load your own.

You are right, the semi autos just don’t move as nice as an o/u. You could also add a recoil device to reduce the punch on a breech gun . I put a Soft Touch on my Browning 725. It shoots softer than my gas semi autos by a substantial amount . It should , the recoil device itself was $1600.
But, there are other ones out there that don’t cost that much. It just depends how deep you want to go . I’ve heard good things about the Rad Recoil Reducer. Rods custom guns installs them . If you decide to go that route, call Rodney before you buy the gun. Some guns are easier than others to install the devices . If I’m not mistaken, Berettas and Fabarm semi autos are easier to adapt to the Rad than Browning Maxus, Winchester SXT, or Rem 1100.

If you don’t want to mess with it at all, the softest shooting gun off the shelf will likely be a Remington 1100 competition .

Cleaning of the semis are really not a big deal . Most claim to go 500 rounds between cleanings .

If you like the heavier feel of a breech gun , the Fabarm xlr5v is a semi auto that comes close to handling like an O/U. I believe it is 8.75lbs. The gas system is very similar to a beretta . I almost bought one but I can’t part ways with the o/u.

All that said, if weight causes problems with the shoulder, a 20 ga will get it done . But they will kick a bit harder than the 12 ga with a 7/8 load. Semi auto for sure if you go that route . I’m not sure if Beretta offers it’s ‘Kickoff’recoil reducer in the 20 ga . If they do, that would be the sweet spot in 20 ga imo.

If you go with a semi, gas guns are the way. The recoil on an inertia gun makes me wonder who buys them . You’ll see probably 25 beretta semi autos on the clay fields for every Benelli. Don’t get me wrong , I think Benelli makes a very nicely balanced gun. But they can be punishing.

Last edited by BadaBing11; 05-18-2021 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:45 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Doug:

Have you tried 28 ga tubes in your browning? Alternatively a 28 ga barreled sc model may be the ticket if you want a fixed breach gun. 3/4 oz loads at 1200 fps are very mild loads.

I have a slight tear in my shoulder and recoil for 1 1/8th ounce @ 1250 fps loads adds up quickly in my fixed breach over unders. But in my A300 they are tamed dramatically. I shot a 100 rounds of sporting clays recently with 1 1/8 oz factory remington loads and was not fatigued at all. Really made me a believer in beretta gas guns. With 1 oz 1200 fps loads the A300 is a joy to shoot. I suspect 7/8 oz 1200 fps loads would work fine in the gun. This would go as well for the A400s. So you have options.

Depending on the courses near you, you may be able to rent a few guns and try them before you buy. Just make sure your ammo choices make sense. Keep the velocity at 1200 fps or below. Just swing longer. Reduced payloads to bore size will reduce recoil even further. Give the 28 ga a go too. You may be pleasantly surprised with how well you break clays with one. You just have to pay more for shells.

If you are near NE Ohio, let me know and you can try my guns before you buy one. I even have a set of briley 28 ga tubes around here some where if you want to try them in you browning. Russ
Old 05-18-2021, 09:28 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (280)
I reloaded all gauges for years and still have my Mec, though I've kept components for .410 only as I bought a Mossberg .410 pump several years ago for home defense. I did shoot skeet with a Browning O/U in .410 -- definitely challenging vs the bigger gauges -- and .410 shells are more tedious to reload than the bigger gauge shells. I'm sure I could handle 2 1/2" .410 loads. I certainly wouldn't be shooting competitively, so maybe a .410 would be "good enough" just for the fun of shooting clays again. And an O/U in .410 would be fine, I think. Have to give that serious thought as an alternative.

Many thanks for your input, guys.

Doug
Old 05-20-2021, 07:21 PM
cactusjack
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
You can't go wrong with a Benelli

I have a 12 ga Benelli Montefeltro and absolutely love it. For me it is soft shooting and fits me like a glove. Two years ago I went on a goose hunt for three days in Saskatchewan Canada and we used the gun morning and evening with all kinds of ammo. From BB's to #2 and #4 shot. The gun worked flawlessly. I never cleaned it when we were up there. When we got home and I stripped it down it was like I shot one maybe two rounds. Very impressed with the gun and it's inertial recoil system. Now that Beretta has purchased Benelli I hope it does not change any quality issues. Just my opinion.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:08 PM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Benelli Legacy 20ga, which is just a fancier and more expensive Montefeltro. Mine has been excellent. I've had 5 or 6 20ga shotguns over the years and my Benelli Legacy is as good or better than any. My buddy just bought a new Ethos 20ga. Beautiful gun. I just found a very nice used Winchster 101 O/U 20ga and like it better than the Benelli for sporting clays. The Benelli is better for doves. Last year I shot a triple with it; first one in years. Also have a Remington Model 17 pump 20ga. Fantastic shotgun. It's been fully restored. Easily shoot as good as the Benelli. The recoil doesn't bother me on any of them.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:11 AM
RH45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was kind of looking for a 20 gauge Montefeltro, but, ended up with a 20 gauge Legacy. I love it for hunting, but, for just about anything else, my 12 gauge M2, with Comfortech stock shoots MUCH softer.
If I was to run across a lightly used 20 gauge Montefeltro, at a decent price, I'd probably buy it.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:52 PM
onemountain

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
Anyone here have or know something about the Benelli Montefeltro 20 Ga. shotgun?

Doug
Depends on what you want to use it for. The below are my opinions:

As a field gun- specifically upland use- a 20 gauge Montefeltro is, in my opinion, one of the finest shotguns ever created. Low-maintenance, easy to clean, a delight to carry, and truly remarkable handling and quick-pointing characteristics.

For waterfowl, less than ideal: 12 gauge is way better for pattern size, and a longer/heavier platform will track better on passing shots. A 12 gauge Montefeltro would still fall short compared to many other waterfowl guns. It's fortť is definitely upland use, IMHO.

For sporting use (skeet, clays, etc), I'd look to a gas gun to minimize recoil and "smooth" things out, especially if you're an older person or have arthritis etc. The Montes handle and carry well, but that inertia action does very little to moderate recoil. Think of it (in recoil terms) as slightly better than an equivalent weight pump. If you're shooting a high volume, you're going to notice after awhile, potentially a rather short while.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:32 PM
Texcl2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My brother has had a 20 ga Montefeltro for many years now and pretty sure he has never cleaned it and he hunts very high volume dove and quail hunts on his ranch in south Texas. It just now has started to malfunction after maybe 15 years of hard use and no cleaning. I have a benelli m2 that I have owned for 20 years and has had a hard life of heavy water fowling as my personal gun and a loaner, in 20 years I remember it jamming 3 times and they were all on the first day at the range. I recently bought a beautiful beretta a400 with gorgeous wood and high polish barrel. It feels lighter than the 20 gauge benellis and is incredibly reliable so far. It is very adjustable too. I actually went in to buy a benelli and ended up with the beretta and haven’t regretted it for a minute. I also owned a franchi 48al 20ga. It was a light field gun but man did it kick like a mule. I have to say you won’t be reducing recoil by buying any of the light auto 20 gauges as they are much lighter guns, there purpose is to be light enough to trapes around with all day and they are great at that but they kick sharply, even my a400 while not uncomfortable, kicks a bit, but it is the light version and doesn’t come with the KO stock . I hear the ko system is really outstanding.

Last edited by Texcl2; 09-09-2021 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:47 AM
Griffen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Montefeltro 20 gauge shotgun

I have a Benelli Montefeltro in 20 gauge with a black receiver and like it a lot. Benelliís are also one of my favorite shotguns. I always used 12 gauge shotguns over the years, but after a collar bone accident several years back, I have found my shoulder does better with the 20. Until then my go to was a Browning Citori O/U, which I do still own and like, though it has taken a back seat to my 20 gauge shotguns. I now use an Ethos 20 ga for all my clays work and the Montefeltro 20 ga for the field. Both fit me the same and the mechanism appears identical, though the Ethos has a superior recoil design built into the stock. All considered, the Montefeltro is a fine shotgun that has given flawless service. I consider the Ethos a much fancier version of the more plain appointments of the Montefeltro. I tend to lean toward the scrolling and nickel, etc. as I do more sporting type shooting than hunting. Both are excellent.

I found the Montefeltro used and near perfect for $700 and thought it was a good price. Turned out to be an excellent shooter.

A friend has a Beretta A391, I think it is, and it is excellent as well. He also has a Super Eagle 3 that is a great shotgun, I just donít like camo or flat black guns or I would have one of those; they are real shooters. I owned a SBE2 at one time and liked how it shot (but not the camo) and I prefer the SBE3, myself.

I like the Benelliís for shootability, they fit me, and they are extremely easy to care for on a shoot by shoot basis because they shoot clean the way the mechanism is designed for an auto loader. Although every Beretta I have used shot well, I will not own a gas action shotgun again. Too much mess to put up with when cleaning.

The best one is the always the one that fits best.

Just my thoughts,YMMV
Old 09-10-2021, 09:00 AM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
A plug for a 28

I will add a recommendation for a 28 ga. shotgun. I have never owned one. But I have seen others shoot them and they seem to do every bit as well as the 20 ga. guns, and with less recoil, assuming equal weighted guns. I love the .410, but in the last few years have not found shells available and when you can find them, they are pricey. Last winter in Florida Academy Sports was restricting us to buying two boxes a day of 12 ga. shells. I noticed they had 28 ga. shells in stock. No .410 nor 20 ga. So maybe a gun to try out.