Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:09 PM
Av1at0r

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tippmann M4-22 Charging Handle Problem

Howdy, y'all, greetings from the Lone Star State! As the title implies, my first post seeks some assistance with my new Tippmann Arms M4-22 Rifle. But first, a little backstory.

I've owned a Ruger 10-22 for about 40 years, and recently decided to try an AR style .22LR firearm, the S&W M&P15-22. The weapon malfunctioned right out of the box, and I sent it to S&W for a safety-recall replacement of the bolt and a new ejector. In the meantime, I tried both the HK416D 22 LR and the Tippmann, both of which have been much less prone to malfunction.

Based on increasing confidence in the reliability of the Tippmann and my preference for it over the other two firearms, I used it for a competition today and suddenly discovered that whenever a course of fire calls for safeing the rifle with a live round in the chamber (safety on, magazine out, and manually ejecting the round with the charging handle), the extractor fails to remove the round from the chamber.

I've searched for online discussions that might help identify the cause and decided to try the community link on the Tippmann Arms website, which brought me here.

Thanks in advance for any comments and suggestions.

Very respectfully yours,

W.H. "Tosh" McIntosh
LtCol USAF (Ret)
Old 05-16-2021, 08:28 AM
9x19

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Welcome.

First thing I'd check is the extractor engagement, with the bolt removed and a fired case, make sure the rim fits under the extractor with minimal effort.

Next is to check the extractor cut on the barrel, slip a round into the chamber and see if the rim extends over the extractor cut.

Finally, make sure the extractor cut is clean and free of debris, which could hold the extractor out away from the case rim.

Good luck
Old 05-16-2021, 09:41 AM
Av1at0r

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tippmann M4-22 Failure to extract an unfired round

I will check those details and report the results. Thank you!

Tosh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2021, 09:26 PM
Av1at0r

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Update

Thank you again for the suggestions:

With the bolt removed and a fired case, the rim fits under the extractor with minimal effort.

With a round into the chamber the rim extends over the extractor cut.

The extractor cut is clean and free of debris.

I also loaded five snap caps into a magazine, closed the bolt to chamber the first one, and extracted all five with the charging handle.

Without having found anything to explain the original malfunctions, I'll need to test the function of the charging handle to extract an unfired round multiple times to see if I can duplicate the malfunction.

Once I've done that, I'll post an update with the results.

Tosh
Old 05-18-2021, 12:07 PM
Av1at0r

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The update

Both the pistol and the rifle exhibit this problem, so more troubleshooting will be required.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:36 PM
9x19

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Have you tried looking/asking about the issue in the Tippmann forum here?

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...play.php?f=485
Old 05-18-2021, 12:47 PM
Av1at0r

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Trying the Tippman forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x19 View Post
Have you tried looking/asking about the issue in the Tippmann forum here?

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...play.php?f=485
I'm doing that now, thank you, and I apologize for not seeing that forum when I first joined.