Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-19-2021, 04:37 AM
linekin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
100 Yard Rimfire Benchrest

I am wondering if there would be enough interest in sanctioned 100 yard shooting. I have been playing around with it the past few years & have found it to be very challenging as well as very doable as long as conditions aren't miserable. What I mainly use is all those test lots that didn't shoot well enough. Still do but recently have shot some decent lots & done fairly well initially.
I've been shooting the various 50 yard br targets at 100 & have my preferences on what I'd like to use & thats the old IBS 50 yd target basically, with perhaps a color change.
I realize much of our summers are filled with enough 50 yard shooting opportunities & expense. Also there may be range use/scheduling issues for some. I have been shooting it in the off season which depending on your locale as with mine creates some challenges. Not opposed to doing it during the winter months to break up some of the boredom.
Again, just wondering if there's enough interest to start a new game with a sanctioning body as it would require a small investment on my part to do so. I'm willing to do this if there were enough interest to start.
I have started a poll on Rimfire Accuracy so please take a second to respond at least to it. Also any thoughts/comments welcomed!
Please let me know your thoughts good or bad. Thanks

Keith
Old 02-19-2021, 06:21 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by linekin View Post
I am wondering if there would be enough interest in sanctioned 100 yard shooting. I have been playing around with it the past few years & have found it to be very challenging as well as very doable as long as conditions aren't miserable. What I mainly use is all those test lots that didn't shoot well enough. Still do but recently have shot some decent lots & done fairly well initially.
I've been shooting the various 50 yard br targets at 100 & have my preferences on what I'd like to use & thats the old IBS 50 yd target basically, with perhaps a color change.
I realize much of our summers are filled with enough 50 yard shooting opportunities & expense. Also there may be range use/scheduling issues for some. I have been shooting it in the off season which depending on your locale as with mine creates some challenges. Not opposed to doing it during the winter months to break up some of the boredom.
Again, just wondering if there's enough interest to start a new game with a sanctioning body as it would require a small investment on my part to do so. I'm willing to do this if there were enough interest to start.
I have started a poll on Rimfire Accuracy so please take a second to respond at least to it. Also any thoughts/comments welcomed!
Please let me know your thoughts good or bad. Thanks

Keith
Keith,

I know a couple guys here that would be interested. we shoot alongside CFBR as a side match. we use the same rules.
the format we follow is IBS 7-minute time limit 5 shots at 5 bulls. 5 cards for a match. one format Groundhog you can't use flags, that one is challenging!

So for what you are talking about would it be 25-bulls? and what would be the time limit?

Lee

Last edited by Hi-NV Shooter; 02-19-2021 at 06:27 AM.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:21 PM
linekin

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Lee, I have been shooting the various rimfire targets, i.e, IR50, ARA, IBS 50, & some BR50 Internationals. Haven't tried the IBS 100 yd target that I recall.
So I was leaning towards a 25 bull target but nothing's written is stone. Just trying to find out if there's enough interest to give it a go.
As for a time limit, I hadn't thought about it. I guess it would depend on the target.

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2021, 08:30 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Lee, I have been shooting the various rimfire targets, i.e, IR50, ARA, IBS 50, & some BR50 Internationals. Haven't tried the IBS 100 yd target that I recall.
So I was leaning towards a 25 bull target but nothing's written is stone. Just trying to find out if there's enough interest to give it a go.
As for a time limit, I hadn't thought about it. I guess it would depend on the target.

Keith
Keith,

I see one problem using a 25 bull target and that is when there is a good amount of wind. some of our matches we shoot is in 15-20mph sustained and I am holding as much as 2-4" to try and hit the center. so if you can imagine there will be double shots on a bull if using a 25-bull target. scoring will be a nightmare.

The IBS or NBRSA 100yd. Hunter target works great and with a 7-minute time limit it is challenging. 4" outer 3-ring and a 1/2" 10-ring with a dot for the X

Lee
Old 02-19-2021, 09:24 PM
linekin

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
Keith,

I see one problem using a 25 bull target and that is when there is a good amount of wind. some of our matches we shoot is in 15-20mph sustained and I am holding as much as 2-4" to try and hit the center. so if you can imagine there will be double shots on a bull if using a 25-bull target. scoring will be a nightmare.

The IBS or NBRSA 100yd. Hunter target works great and with a 7-minute time limit it is challenging. 4" outer 3-ring and a 1/2" 10-ring with a dot for the X

Lee
I agree that 15-20 would be a tough row to hoe! LOL
I have shot a card with that much wind & you're right , scoring would be a nightmare. Not to mention the holdoff is difficult to say the least.
I'm familiar with the IBS target. I shoot a little IBS cf too. I find the 5 shot per target after being so use to 25, well, boring.
One good thing about the target is it is 6x friendly. Not that that a concern of mine. Just sayin'.
Not to say it wouldn't be every bit as challenging. Nor am I opposed to doing it or developing a different target with say 5 or even 10 more bulls.
As I said, just looking to see if there would be enough interest.
I've been enjoying it myself.

Keith

Last edited by linekin; 02-19-2021 at 10:03 PM. Reason: add
Old 02-20-2021, 07:10 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
I have shot a card with that much wind & you're right , scoring would be a nightmare. Not to mention the holdoff is difficult to say the least.
I'm familiar with the IBS target. I shoot a little IBS cf too. I find the 5 shot per target after being so use to 25, well, boring.
One good thing about the target is it is 6x friendly. Not that that a concern of mine. Just sayin'.
Not to say it wouldn't be every bit as challenging. Nor am I opposed to doing it or developing a different target with say 5 or even 10 more bulls.

Keith
Keith, This is what we use. if you look the far left bull this is a white cross that was about where my hold was for that day.
The wind was blowing pretty good that day and we decide to shoot 3 relays on one target. I got real lucky on bull #2 as I was able to call it 3 times correctly over a 21-minute period.

I will watching this progress with hope that it materializes into something.

Lee
Old 02-20-2021, 08:12 AM
dgapilot
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kieth,
Are you thinking dedicated bench rest type stuff, or more typical target guns like Winchester 52 and Remington 40X? Also, what locations? Iíve got a Win 52 and an H&R M12 that Iíve played with bench rest postal shoots, but no actual competition. It would be nice to have a group of like minded folks shooting together. I live in Frederick County.

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2021, 02:57 PM
linekin

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
Kieth,
Are you thinking dedicated bench rest type stuff, or more typical target guns like Winchester 52 and Remington 40X? Also, what locations? Iíve got a Win 52 and an H&R M12 that Iíve played with bench rest postal shoots, but no actual competition. It would be nice to have a group of like minded folks shooting together. I live in Frederick County.

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David, the idea comes from my curiosity of how these dedicated 50 bench rifle would do at 100. Having started in the rabbit hole 25 years ago or so with factory rifles shooting 100 yds I was just curious what they might do, better, worse, or no difference.
The added distance imo is the great equalizer. It doesn't take much of a velocity change on any yardage to throw the bullet off a fair bit. Having said that my hope would be to start something where all shoot against each other with not much else other than courtesy & safety rules. And ofcourse some basic target/match guidelines. I think too many rules discourage more than they encourage shooters.
As to locations it would be welcomed anywhere. My hope would be that enough people would step up & become a match director & implement their own schedules, etc. So I guess what I'm saying or asking if there would be enough interest to have a sanctioning body, complete with schedules, ranges, rankings etc similar to what we shoot with the 50 yard stuff.
I'm just curious if there's enough interest. Not only from the serious 50yd br guys but the rimfire crowd in general. I'll be honest & say I know nothing about NRL or F-Class but my hopes would be it may interest them as well given the extra distance. I really don't know who or how many would give it an honest try.
I've had a H&R M12 as well as some 52's & all shot great at 100. I feel like they'd be as competitive as anything.
Thanks for the interest.

Keith
Old 02-20-2021, 10:43 PM
Makepeace2000

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Keith
This might be a good way to get NRL22 shooters exposed to benchrest. It’s similar to the paper target stages we used to have in NRL22 matches, just longer ranges. And not positional. �� I’d have a ton of fun shooting a match like this with my T1x.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:05 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makepeace2000 View Post
This might be a good way to get NRL22 shooters exposed to benchrest. Itís similar to the paper target stages we used to have in NRL22 matches, just longer ranges. And not positional. �� Iíd have a ton of fun shooting a match like this with my T1x.
My thoughts exactly! it will also allow shooters who have older match rifles to shoot BR since the new factory ARA class pretty much excludes them.

Lee
Old 02-21-2021, 08:44 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I guess when you have mastered shooting at 50yds then a move to 100yds would be a logical step. But in reality what is the point and what are you accomplishing? You go out twice as far and use a target twice as big and use up twice as much of the range, is this progress or just something different for the sake of being different.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:44 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlnbyr View Post
I guess when you have mastered shooting at 50yds then a move to 100yds would be a logical step. But in reality what is the point and what are you accomplishing? You go out twice as far and use a target twice as big and use up twice as much of the range, is this progress or just something different for the sake of being different.
John,

It has nothing to do with already mastering 50yd. BR and all about being able to go out and shoot against other shooters.
have to face the fact that shooters with factory rifles such as Win. 52, Anschutz , 40X and the like will not go and shoot against ARA unlimited shooters. they know chances of finishing even at top 5 will be against them. finishing at or near the bottom will take any joy of competing for anyone.
regardless of what is always said about it is all about the fun and camaraderie and not about winning. it is just human nature to want some recognition for doing good.
Shooting at 100yds. is an equalizer IMO

Lee
Old 02-21-2021, 02:17 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Not thinking at all about the ARA game. Just trying to come to grips why farther is somehow better.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:09 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Not thinking at all about the ARA game. Just trying to come to grips why farther is somehow better.
Ok I understand now. not sure if it was thought as better, but it is fun and challenging to shoot at 100yd.

it is too bad a sanctioned vintage rifle 50yd. RFBR is not started up. actually more like what was used before the Turbo, Hall, Time etc. pre-custom, IMO that would grow the sport.
all those factory rifles out there and no sanctioning body to organized RFBR for them. run it like ARA unlimited, but no customs.

Lee
Old 02-21-2021, 07:34 PM
linekin

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Quote:
John its not about once one's mastered 50 yards. If it were there'd be no shooters period.
As to what's trying to be accomplished For me its the additional challenge of the extra yardage on a smaller than A-23 target. Its also another opportunity to get on the range. The intention of it wouldn't be to take away from what we all enjoy, IR50 & ARA, but to allow a different alternative occasionally. That's probably not an issue for the steadfast ARA & IR50 shooters down south. There's ample opportunity every weekend to shoot them.
If you look at the targets that have been mentioned they ALL have the same Glory Hole. i.e. 10 or 100 ring. & thats 1/2". Same as the ARA target. Its the additional size of the rest of the target that separates them.
In the limited time I've been shooting them I've been enjoying it. Rather than discourage it why not take a box of your culls & try it. Then decide.

Keith

Last edited by linekin; 02-22-2021 at 03:54 AM.