Real world .22 self defense. - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:58 AM
Barksdale123

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Jack Knife, I am sorry, a by passed the most important thing. Congratulations for leaving that life behind. I thank God that there are people like the one who reached out to you out there. My son works for SO,. and he has commented that life expectancy for kids caught up in that is very hot, Late 20s is considered old. Good new on your story. What really impacted me was I am sure there are a lot of kids caught up in it and they could be you but not one has reached out. That is very sad.

What touched my heart on your story is that my wife and I ended up with custody of her great nephew, he was not quite where your were but definitely headed for trouble. (Already in juvenile at 14) It was an interesting three years to say the least. When he was Col Reyes at the local ROTC in his high school was his real mentor.
Agsin thank you for the inspiring story, the SD lesson was good to think about as well.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:08 AM
Jmcisc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Jmcisc Send a message via MSN to Jmcisc
I really appreciate the OP's comments about the efficacy of the .22. While I do not consider myself an expert at anything I am frequently asked what I think about the .22 as a defensive round. My answer is simply that I have never heard of anyone being willing to stand in the path of a .22 round fired at them.
Shot placement is much more important than the size of the bullet.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:22 AM
Barksdale123

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo View Post
That looks like it belongs to the tiniest of cowboys. Is it heavy enough to anchor a jon boat, perhaps?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Maybe you throw it at them
Old 01-29-2021, 11:04 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcisc View Post
I really appreciate the OP's comments about the efficacy of the .22. While I do not consider myself an expert at anything I am frequently asked what I think about the .22 as a defensive round. My answer is simply that I have never heard of anyone being willing to stand in the path of a .22 round fired at them.
False equivalency. Just cause noone wants to be shot with a 22 doesnt make it a self defense round. And shot placement , you need to be an expert to do that under pressure on a moving target. Masad Ayoub type of expert. From 3 feet away , you just pull point and shoot.

my grandmother in law , 4 foot 9, 85 lbs, and arthritic hands, carried a lady smith 367 in her hand bag every day. When i asked her if it didnt kick like a mule, she smiled and said “ I hope it it kicks harder” I asked have you ever shot it? She said “twice, once when i got to see if it worked, and once when i had to” I stopped asking questions
Old 01-29-2021, 11:58 AM
eeyore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great Thread, thank you Jack Knife.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:15 AM
Indigo22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcisc View Post
I know of a co-worker that volunteered to be shot with a mini revolver in 22 short while wearing a circa 1980's police bullet proof vest. Yes, alcohol was involved.
He was part of a soft ball league that had many public works, fire, and police teams. Post season they had a big weekend camp out. Somehow the subject of firearms and backup guns came about. One of the officers had the mini 22 short with him. All scoffed at what it was capable of. At one point my co-worker volunteered to put the vest on and be shot in the chest at 10 feet. After putting on the vest the owner of the gun fired it, it hit him in the right pectoral a couple inches above the nipple. It knocked the wind out of him and he dropped gasping and in pain. Scared both the gun owner and the bystanders. Fortunately there was a paramedic on the campout that checked him out and told him he should see the doctor.
I did not witness the incident but I saw the bruising the next Monday and heard the story directly from the co-worker. The bruise covered the pectoral muscle, a portion of the lover ribcage, and up to the shoulder with a silver dollar sized dark spot at the impact area. Now several days later he was still having trouble lifting his arm much above shoulder high. I believed his story at the time and I still believe it now... He was a big bruit of a guy, athletic, and maybe not the brightest individual. He said to the guys that he would never do that again and wouldn't wish it on anyone else.

Last edited by Indigo22; 01-30-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:27 AM
Grayrock

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Great words for thought, Jackknife. Gives us ordinary folk much to contemplate. And THANK YOU for your service. I've seen some pretty big animals put down with a .22. As they say, shot placement is key. If you can hit what you are aiming at consistently then you have a head start. Of course, throw in adrenalin and running for cover and the game changes significantly. I pray I never have to be in that situation, but I train so if I am I won't be frozen in fear.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:01 AM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
The op has a long litany of anecdotal evidence... but it's just that.

I worked on a rough boat for a few months and had the dubious distinction of being the only one who hadn't been shot. All were shot with 22s except one, he was hit in the least vital spot but with a 357..... his scar was huge and he spent the longest time in the hospital from blood loss.

Spent some of my previous life running an er ct scanner, couldn't believe how many people have negligent discharges or get shot. (Side note, don't ever "mind your own business behind walgreens".... that's how everyone got shot.) The 22s messed up people's days, as did the FMJ 9mm. But the hollow point 9mm and bigger really messed up the tissue. Nothing compared to a 3030 shooting 150 corelocks.... that was gruesome. The knives really messed up guys guts more than the bullets did.....

Do I carry a 22lr from time to time....yes it's just so tiny. Do I prefer my bigger guns....yeah. I've hunted since the age of 6, the average muscle bound creep is the physical composition of a small black bear. I'd rather whack and stack a small black bear with bigger than smaller. Heck I dont like having to use 22lr for fox or coyote.

Is 22lr better than nothing...yes, it's always worth trying to see what the accuracy limit is for each person. Use 22lr if nothing else can possibly work.

My little tiny wife shoots a glock 42 like a boss. She probably does more rounds per year with it than ak state troopers do with their service pistols. My mom has shockingly strong hands and runs a hellcat like the ammo shortage is over... Have taught one gal to shoot that runs an lcp2 in 22lr. She's 5 foot tall with the muscle mass only a millennial could have..... so it's better than nothing but her goal is a little more muscles to step up guns.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:20 PM
lv2fish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Comfisherman.
Pardon my ignorance.
What's a rough boat?
Doesn't sound like a good place to be.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:32 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2fish View Post
Comfisherman.
Pardon my ignorance.
What's a rough boat?
Its a boat where the crew started each story with "one time when I was in prison", on a 5 man deck I was the only one who had never been shot, all but one had been shot more than once. The one guy I really liked on the boat killed the other with an axe to the face 2x years later. Fishing is unlike any other job, it can attract some rough characters. Some boats are a mix of rough and clean, some are pretty rough and others are hyper professional. Did my 3 week fill in stint, slept with one eye open and was glad to move on...

There is a tough customer that fishes around me, once said "hire tweakers, they can really move their arms for about 2 weeks....." he was dead pan serious.

Last edited by comfisherman; 02-01-2021 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:24 AM
lv2fish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfisherman View Post
Quote:
Comfisherman.
Pardon my ignorance.
What's a rough boat?
Its a boat where the crew started each story with "one time when I was in prison", on a 5 man deck I was the only one who had never been shot, all but one had been shot more than once. The one guy I really liked on the boat killed the other with an axe to the face 2x years later. Fishing is unlike any other job, it can attract some rough characters. Some boats are a mix of rough and clean, some are pretty rough and others are hyper professional. Did my 3 week fill in stint, slept with one eye open and was glad to move on...

There is a tough customer that fishes around me, once said "hire tweakers, they can really move their arms for about 2 weeks....." he was dead pan serious.
I see.
That series "deadliest catch" focuses on weather conditions, and restless work with the potential of a big payoff. Sounds like you experienced the other reality of that lifestyle the show didn't really put front and center.
Interesting stuff.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:14 PM
Mike Clark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfisherman View Post
The one guy I really liked on the boat killed the other with an axe to the face 2x years later.
Was there a a choice in liking the guy?
Friends sounds like a safer bet than enemies in that case.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:31 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Clark View Post
Was there a a choice in liking the guy?
Friends sounds like a safer bet than enemies in that case.
Eh, life us complicated. At the time I was 21 or 22, 6 ft 4" 205 pounds and killing fish for a living. At the time, wasn't the toughest man out west but could probably name and number the ones tougher on one hand. Didn't really fear them, but wasn't real interested in sticking around. They did the work just fine, we were on deck 18-20 hrs a day so didn't have tons of socializing. Both were decent hands and friendly enough, without booze the incident would have never happened.

Jogging on a set eating lunch on a sunny day, one guy peeled off his shirt and I mentioned his scar looked like a bullet would. Didn't realize that would trigger show and tell of everyone's bullet wounds. One was shot in the backside angling up to his lower abdomen it fractured the pelvis and messed up some guts and left a nasty surface scar. Others were 22lr and 9mm with either pass through or shallow stops in muscle. Had the 357 been a half inch either way it would have been fatal. If using a 22lr, better get some vitals....
Old 02-02-2021, 11:49 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
I see.
That series "deadliest catch" focuses on weather conditions, and restless work with the potential of a big payoff. Sounds like you experienced the other reality of that lifestyle the show didn't really put front and center.
Interesting stuff.
The deadliest catch is as accurate a representation of commercial fishing, as the Kardashians are an example of the average American family.

I was a freshman in college when the show started and know several folks who were on the show early on and a few who did about half the run. It's about as scripted as you can possibly imagine, and has very little resemblance to normal boat life. It made a few owners a lot of money and the discovery channel rich..... and collapsed the quota lease percentage as well as the crew share money. Keep in mind since season 2 the quota system has existed so each boat has had set quota. Discovery channel leased quota and spread it around to make the talley more interesting. By season 3 it's been days of our lives on a boat with wind..... Thankfully it's been years since the dummies did something that looked really bad, there were a few years we all raised a collective eyebrow.

A real show about fishing would be about as exciting as watching a screen saver.... The high yield boats that I was on at 19-25 payed me 80-120k for 5-6 months work. Suffice to say it was the most professional work environment I've ever been on. You pay a kid 10-15k a month to kill halibut, he better bring his A game with a great attitude every day as the line to replace me was a mile long. The weather changed and the scenery changed but we ran gear like a typewriter. Most heated argument was 24v cummins with a weak transmission vs a duramax with an allison, that one got personal as the idea of a v8 isuzu was anathema....

My long time captain was A gun looney, more than encouraged builds and wild hunts. Was a great environment to be a young man in. A tradition that has been passed on, that my crew loves. Boat floats higher in the fall than spring, we burn a lot of ammo. The shortage is gonna cramp our style....

Last edited by comfisherman; 02-02-2021 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:09 PM
loader4570

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have carried a 22 as a daily carry for years and do not feel undergunned or helpless. I have personally known 4 men who have been shot by the .25 acp, which is a near duplicate of the .22 by design, and none of them died. However all of them without exception quit doing what they were doing before they were shot immediately and tried their best to get as far away from the person who shot them as possible.