Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Squirrel Hunters! The Tree Kind!

4M views 54K replies 805 participants last post by  mattysams 
#1 ·
This thread is for "Rabid Squirrel Hunters"......no matter what kind of rimfire you shoot!!!!

firstshot
---------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

G
#15,981 ·
OK I am going to wade in here. Here in MO and for that matter most of the places I have hunted in AR and LA all seemed to be equally populated by fox squirrel (usually about a 1 to 6 ratio0. I have seen and killed them in thick timber, creek bottoms, around lakes and on some of the tallest ridges and in the deepest hollows it really does not seem to matter. Now some of the things I can tell you about the Fox Squirrel. They always seem to stir an hour or so later then the grey. I wish I had dollar for every time the last kill of the hunt was a fox. And in the evening they always seem to be the first one I kill. Fox squirrels from my expereince can be the hardest to kill once you spook them. They are notorious for hiding in a tree motionless for a long time waiting for you to leave when the grey will try to exit the tree and bounce off thru the timber. Many times I have thrown logs on the other side of a tree to get them to come around to my side to get a shot.
Only one I ever saw back home was on the bank of the TN river, I was sneaking up on him with a 20 gauge and my buddy shot him over me from 50 yds away with a 22mag. Thats when I decided to become a rifle hunter:bthumb:

#15,987 ·
Bluto thanks . I think that would be about 4 hours from me. Are you going?
Fellas I am waiting for Harv to tell me if he wants to come up and where he wants to go if so. As far as me I got a look at the weather and not sure I want to be in the middle of the woods at Cabool (where I took you guys with the chance of severe weather Thusday and in the low 30s Friday Morning ( I had frost on my windshield this morning)n Did you ask that fella about that pop up???

#15,989 ·
Yes, I asked about the pop-up. He said we need to look at it and see what I thought. It hasn't been used in a few years. It is at their cabin. Next time he goes to the cabin, he's going to call me. It can be bought cheap, I'll let you know. I googled Clinton I believe it is about 5 hours for me, Cabool would be alot closer. lol

#15,990 ·
Yes, I asked about the pop-up. He said we need to look at it and see what I thought. It hasn't been used in a few years. It is at their cabin. Next time he goes to the cabin, he's going to call me. It can be bought cheap, I'll let you know. I googled Clinton I believe it is about 5 hours for me, Cabool would be alot closer. lol
I have no problem with Cabool we will just have to camp up closer tothe main road as I would hate for some trees to come down across that road and have to cut our way out:bthumb: If we go to Cabool I will not go until early Friday morning;) You and Bluto need to go over to the thread the guy started about a cheap squirrel call and tell then you saw me use it to get squirrels to bark.

G
#15,994 ·
:) Rex, is that what they're calling buck fever these days?:p
Crow Feather
I forgot to hold low at 35 yds, like a fool. He was sitting in a fork gnawing on an acorn. I saw the bullet impact the tree just above his head. He just sat there, and I felt so bad about the shot I walked off.

bolt just looked at me, shook his head, and went another way. Think I got one more shot that morning, on a squirrel no bigger than a chipmunk. To hit a squirrel that small the rifle had to be zeroed right so the early miss was sure just my fault. :cool:

#15,995 · (Edited)
Why thank you Sarge!!!

Hey Frank!!! Great to see you here. Looks like that old mossy did well for you.
Why thank you Sarge!!! It does a good job when the shooter does his job!!!:rolleyes: It was mighty nice to be able to get out in the woods Saturday I must say. Saw enough squirrels, but my "sneak" was pretty rusty I will say that. I started to surprise some of the little ninja's after I slowed down. Amazing huh!!!:eek: The first three were taken between 9 and ten. Number 4 and 5 made the mistake of coming around while I was having lunch. They didn't see me slip out of the truck!!!:D

Tfrank- beautiful rifle!
Thank you sir!!! I'm kinda fond of it myself!!! Just an old 152K Mossberg as Reb already knows!!! Good eyes there Reb. :bluethumb: Hopefully I'll be able to make it out to do a little squirrel this weekend. My son has expressed an interest in going this Saturday also, but doesn't want to take that 20 ga single shot. I think it kicks a little too hard for him!!!
God Bless, Frank.

#15,996 ·
So, I've attempted to make the most of my short break from school. I got out 5 days which was very nice. This morning I ended up getting up a bit later and headed into the woods around 8:20.

I slipped in, got a shot at one within 10 minutes, redhead, saw another within probably 5 minutes. Couldn't get a shot so I let him be. Sat down, saw one, shot him, redhead. Waited another 10 minutes, saw one, shot him, heart...about another 20 minutes saw a fox squirrel in the valley below me. Got 2 shots on him but I was an idiot and shot over his head both times so I let him go.

Got up, walked over to another area did 22 man's call. It worked, shot the one who barked at me, redhead and repeated the process 5 minutes later with the same results. Started walking back and redheaded another one on the way back for my limit. Now to go through withdrawals until Christmas Break...

#15,999 ·
I got out this morning and got my limit before the wind came up. Got one fox squirrel and 4 greys. The greys were in thick stuff, hard to get a shot. Took the hm2 thinking I'd get longer shots where I went , but that wasn't the case. I missed one that was 8-10 ft from me. All shots were well within 25 yds.

#16,000 · (Edited)
Hey Sarge

I am going to Independence tomorrow for work. I am taking a rifle and if all works out hope to be done and leaving by mid afternoon and stopping at a place I drive by evertime I make the trip which is once or twice a year. It's just west of Independence a little ways. Of coarse the last I looked it is suposed to rain all day tomorrow----