Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:13 PM
Dagminter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Post Stock Ruger 10/22 Ammo Test

Howdy All!

Went with my buddy to test a large variety of ammo (13 types) through my Ruger 10/22. Gun is a Stainless Ruger 10/22 (I replaced the crappy synthetic stock with a factory wood one so I could use a sling for Project Appleseed) with a Nikon 3-9x40 Prostaff EFR on it with some DNZ rings (low mount). First few shots were a sight in group (marked).

This wasn't what you would call scientific, but I found some very interesting results. All 5 shot groups were at 25 yards. Anything that was blatant human error was marked

Ammo Tested:

Remington Bucket O'Bullets Golden Bullet
36 GR. 1280 FPS

Winchester 333 Bulk Pack
36 GR. 1280 FPS

Federal Auto Match
40 GR. 1200 FPS

Winchester Super X
40 GR. 1300 FPS

CCI Mini Mags
40 GR. 1235 FPS

Federal Premium Target
40 GR. 1080 FPS

Federal HV Match
40 GR. 1200 FPS

Fiocchi Standard Velocity
40 GR. 1070 FPS

Federal Game Shock
40 GR. 1240 FPS

RWS Target Rifle
40 GR. 1082 FPS

CCI Standard Velocity
40 GR. 1070 FPS

ELEY Club
40 GR. 1085 FPS

ELEY Target
40 GR. 1085 FPS

During my test I had two stoppages. Once on a RWS round, and the other on a Federal HV Match round. After the second stoppage (which happened close to the first one) I ran a bore snake through the barrel twice to clean out any filth built up in the chamber.

On a side note, we were shooting on a 95 degree day in Florida. The RWS and both boxes of ELEY were heavily lubed and, with the heat, caused quite a mess while handling the rounds. I suspect this had something to do with the stoppages incurred.

Targets:

As you can see… by the end of the day I had some interesting results.

The worst performer by FAR was the Federal Auto Match in this gun. The Winchester Super X (Red Pack) was also surprisingly poor. The Federal Premium ammo (both packs) were disappointing when compared to the Federal Game Shock as they tend to cost more.

As far as bulk packs went, the Winchester 333 pack shot the best. For those who talk crap about the Remington Golden Bullets, they sizably out shot the Federal Auto Match and Winchester Super X (Red Pack) in my rifle.

The best performers were the Fiocchi Standard Velocity, CCI Standard Velocity, CCI Mini Mags, RWS, both boxes of ELEY with the CLUB slightly outing the Target, and Federal Game Shock.

At least now I know what to stock up on lol. Hopefully in future tests, I can run some Federal 550 bulk packs and Aguila Super Extra.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:01 PM
elohssa63

TPC Rating: 
67% (1)
Did you clean the barrel before switching to the next ammo to be tested? If not your results may be flawed. Different maufacturers use different lubes or waxes which affect the next rounds fired.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:27 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Love the fliers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2017, 08:00 PM
Dagminter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elohssa63 View Post
Did you clean the barrel before switching to the next ammo to be tested? If not your results may be flawed. Different maufacturers use different lubes or waxes which affect the next rounds fired.
Nope. Would have probably been a good idea My group results were pretty much the same between the 3 groups. Hopefully it didn't skew the results too much! Might have to go back and do a similar test to verify the results. This test wasn't really planned out. Had a bunch of ammo, decided to pick up a few more boxes, and then went out blast'n with my buddy
Old 08-02-2017, 08:01 PM
Dagminter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_80 View Post
Love the fliers

Old 08-03-2017, 08:53 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for posting that ammo test & pics! Always nice to see direct comparisons on a stock 10/22 with multiple ammo types. I have a new factory stock 10/22 - except for the Brimstone tier 3 trigger job - that I had out twice this week for my own informal ammo test. The first day was at 25 yards, and it shot the CCI SV, Federal Game-Shok, and Federal AutoMatch very well. In fact, I put the last 10 rounds of Fed AM into a hole the size of my fingernail. I was astounded.

Next day, I tried at 50 yards. While the CCI SV still performed well, the Fed AM just fell apart. Triple the group size at double the distance. Maybe its just 25 yard ammo in my 10/22.

ButI enjoyed reading about your test. Thanks for all the "hard work" that went into it.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:07 AM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Back that off to 100yds and crank your scope. Pretty amazing at how all of that magnifies when you back off that far. Consequently, the best few 5 shot groups from 100yds that I've ever been able to hold all 5 together have all been with CCI SV. But also probably because I've shot more of that stuff than other from that distance.