Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:07 AM
DeanV

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sell IZH-35m for Nelson Conversion

While I like my IZH-35m, I am not very found of the 5 round magazines and would much prefer 10 rounders. Also, for the rest of my pistols I am migrating to all 1911 style guns. So, I am wondering if it would make more sense to swap the slide on a 1911 when I want to shoot .22 and get a Nelson conversion. Mainly, I do not want to lose any accuracy if I do this.

But, once I sell the IZH-35m, there is no buying one again, realistically. I have 3 magazines with my, barrel weights, scope rail, and extra parts. Mine IZH is a 2002 so it has the better metallurgy and should not have an issue with the battered breech face and doubling.

Decisions. Any advice?
Old 03-31-2017, 04:29 PM
sourdoughjim
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
While I like my IZH-35m, I am not very found of the 5 round magazines and would much prefer 10 rounders. Also, for the rest of my pistols I am migrating to all 1911 style guns. So, I am wondering if it would make more sense to swap the slide on a 1911 when I want to shoot .22 and get a Nelson conversion. Mainly, I do not want to lose any accuracy if I do this.

But, once I sell the IZH-35m, there is no buying one again, realistically. I have 3 magazines with my, barrel weights, scope rail, and extra parts. Mine IZH is a 2002 so it has the better metallurgy and should not have an issue with the battered breech face and doubling.

Decisions. Any advice?
Hi Dean,

I had no idea what your pistol is until I looked it up. Wow!

IMO, no 1911 with a conversion kit will hold a candle to a "free" pistol such as yours insofar as accuracy, but I have been proven wrong a few times.

I have always been a 1911 platform guy because of how it fits the hand (no matter the caliber) and the controls (thumb safety, grip safety, trigger).

I am in no way a Glock fan.

The Nelson conversion kit seems to be a very well-made unit with good target sights. I have not heard a bad word about it other than it is a bit spendy.

My problem with having, say, a 1911 .45 ACP (or 9mm, and pick your manufacturer flavor) is that one has to field strip the pistol every time you want to shoot .22 LR and then reverse the procedure. I have a (bought new) 1992 J.A. Ciener .22 conversion kit back before Ciener got a bad rep. It has an aluminum slide and fixed sights (with a 15-round mag), and I used to fire it on an AMT Hardballer .45 (don't laugh) with its 23# mainspring, but it would only function reliably with HV rounds like CCI Mini-Mags or similar.

Fast-forward to 2013. I got tired of swapping the top ends out so I found an Olympic Arms Matchmaster stripped carbon steel frame at a local gun show, and built a dedicated 1911 .22 pistol using parts from SARCO, Numrich, Wolff, and Hogue. The hammer is MIM, but it is just a .22. The frame has a finger groove and a checkered frontstrap. It took three months and a lot of fitting for the lower unit, but it worked out great. I also used a 19# Wolff mainspring that allows Rem Subsonics and the like to run just fine, along with any HV rounds.

I live about one hour's drive from Oly Arms and they parked the frame and MSH to match the parked Ciener barrel for $45 and it arrived next day UPS! No more swapping uppers!

(Olympic Arms is no longer in business with the current proprietors. They are selling off what parts they have, so they may have some frames leftover, if you are interested.)

http://www.olyarms.com/

It shoots minute-of-Pepsi-can offhand at 50', which is not bad for fixed sights.

I still think you may not get the same accuracy that you have with your free pistol even with the well-touted Nelson unit. The Nelson unit (designed by Marvel) locks the slide back after the last shot. My Ciener unit does not, but since I don't participate in formal target shoots, it is not a problem. It also has a round nose firing pin, so there is no contact with the barrel and dry firing is not a problem. I have also heard that many of the various other Marvel units are very good, as well.

I think I would hang on to your free pistol until you see how the 1911 platform units will perform, if money is not a problem.

Good luck with your endeavors with a 1911 .22!

Jim

Last edited by sourdoughjim; 03-31-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:04 PM
landshark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would really suggest you shoot one of the 1911 .22 uppers before you commit.

I can only speak to the Marvels of which I have 2. One has a test target of .7 at 50 yards with CCI SV the other .4 with Eley Target so they shoot fine at 50.

I just never could used to them in rapids and shot way better scores with my .45 and 9mm wadguns. The problems with the Marvel are that they don't balance very well, and you really can't just stick one on an standard 1911 frame. Also I don't like the grip safety on the 1911.

I ended up getting a custom frame milled specific for the Marvel. Even then I don't think they are as good as a top quality homogenous 22 target pistol.

At least for the time being I've gone back to a Victor.

For bullseye I really think the way to go would be to sell the Russian and get a Smith 41 gunsmithed out to the max.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2017, 08:57 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Marvel conversion Unit #1 that is scary accurate and dropped right on my Colt Delta Elite (10mm) frame as well as my Rock Island Armory 45ACP frame. I bought the Marvel about 10 years ago because it would fit the Delta Elite frame and the Ciener conversion would not.

The Ciener 22 conversion unit (at least 10 years ago) only fit the 45ACP 1911 frame as the other caliber frames use an ejector that interferes with the Ceiner. Also, accurate 22 pistols are made with the barrel and both sights pin'ed to the frame and only the bare bolt moves in recoil. The Marvel Unit #1 is that way whereas the Unit #2 is not as it has the sight on the slide that moves in recoil.

I have not followed Marvel (the man and designer of a bunch of these conversion units) through the various companies he has designed conversion for and I know little about any of them except the Marvel units when he owned the Marvel company.

I highly recommend the conversion unit I own, the Marvel Unit #1 from about 10 years ago. I know zero about the current Marvel company or any other of the conversion units on the current market place.

LDBennett
Old 04-01-2017, 09:08 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As for the IZH-35m, I used a friends for a couple years. It was not on the CA Rooster of guns that can be sold new in CA so I could not have my own. He loaned it to me after he bought it in Nevada. Finally it made the Olympic Exemption list for CA sales so I returned it to him (actually he asked for it back) and the importer quit importing them. DARN! A used one showed up at a gun shop I frequented at the time but my son-in-law saw it first and snatched it away from me. DOUBLE DARN!!

It was an OK target gun but I had to replace every screw in the gun as the originals were so soft they would not stay tight. Mine must have been before the "better metallurgy" (??).

I'd buy another just because they are so unique. I don't think them to be as quite as accurate as any of the normal guns used in competition (think S&W Model 41 and like guns).

LDBennett
Old 04-03-2017, 11:48 PM
redlightrich

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I own many rimfire conversion kits, and after research, I just bought a Nelson kit. I did not receive it yet, but I have heard so many good things about them, I figured I would make room for one more.
Based on feedback from current owners, the Nelson kit is supposed to be a top pick.

Selling your current gun is another issue. Is there anyway to swing both? Even if temporarily to see what you like better? You would have no trouble reselling the Nelson if it doesn't meet your expectations. You would then be no worse off then now.

Good luck with your decision

Rich
Old 04-04-2017, 12:38 AM
Ken Warner
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The IZH35

I don't miss my IZH but if the magazines are all that you hate then take the time to convert a few S&W 22a magazines. I made up 3-4 of them just prior to selling my pistol about 5 years ago and they were every bit as reliable as the Russian 5 rounders. Do a search in the Russian area for magazine conversion instructions.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:41 PM
sourdoughjim
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post
I would really suggest you shoot one of the 1911 .22uppers before you commit.

At least for the time being I've gone back to a Victor.

For bullseye I really think the way to go would be to sell the Russian and get a Smith 41 gunsmithed out to the max.
^^^^^ +1

If you can find them, most High Standard .22 pistols from the 60's were excellent and accurate guns. Same goes for the S&W 41.

As an aside, as a kid in the 60's, .22 Short ammo was cheap and plentiful. I always coveted a High Standard 102 Olympic Citation .22 Short caliber pistol but never had the money for one.

Good luck, sir!

Jim
Old 04-09-2017, 09:59 PM
DeanV

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Still no decision made. I should try the magazine mod sometime. A sw 41 is too pricey for me for a .22 lr. Especially if I send it to a smith also. I will probably stick with what I have for now. It could be a sale I would regret down the road.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:44 PM
NWFRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good call. The IZH-35Ms are becoming scarce, and hard to replace for the money. The going rate seems to be from $600 to $800 on gunbroker these last few years, depending on condition. I bought a second one last fall, and talked a buddy into buying his first only a few weeks ago. He closed at $580 with one magazine and no case.

I've been through maybe a dozen rimfire pistols, and all I have left are two 35Ms and a Trailside, all of which are upgraded and tuned for my abilities and taste. If you give them some love, they are great shooters. Mine are set up with the harder M8 countersunk hex screws and PowerCustom 10/22 action springs. The oversized factory grips are fun to work with as well. I've sunk far more money into Buckmarks and Rugers in the past, only to be disappointed with the balance and ergonomics. For me, replacement cost for a 35M would be something more in the $1200 realm.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:24 PM
gregbenner

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Dean, do you have any plans to shoot bullseye. If you do, and use a Nelson or Marvel top on a 1911 lower, and also use the lower to shoot 45, the trigger pull will need to be 3.5lbs, vs the 2lb limit for 22 RF. I have both a Nelson and a Marvel, on a dedicated 1911 lower, set at 2 1/4 lbs. They are very accurate, but I don't shoot them as accurately as some of my other guns due to the single stage 1911 style trigger.

If it were me, I would keep the 35, and look for a used Marvel. The Nelson was also designed by Bob Marvel, but has an automatic slide lock after the last round. Some like this more than others. Both are as accurate as the lower permits (i.e. trigger control).
Old 05-13-2017, 11:14 PM
Mike3838
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just got rid of a pair of IZH35M pistols, a 2001 and a 2002. Sold them both for exactly what I paid for them back then, and happy to do it. Both of mine were getting close to needing an "overhaul" as in all new springs, firing pin, extractor, etc. Try finding parts. If you do, you're doing better than me. The previous Presidential admin placed a ban on imports from Kalashnikov Concern, the parent company of Baikal, the manufacturer of IZH firearms. Parts seem to be getting hard to find, or at least I had no luck. You won't find a pistol as inexpensive but as accurate as the IZH35M, but parts availability concerned me. I bought a Benelli MP95E with the money from both IZH. Jury is still out on the Benelli, but I'll warm up to it.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:43 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mike3838:

I too had an IZH-35 for awhile and currently own the Benelli MP90S. The MP95E is the same gun without the trick fully adjustable two stage trigger and the ERGO adjustable grip.. My MP90S is excellent and I think you will find the same of the MP95E.

Here are a couple "challenges" I ran into with my MP90S (most certainly not game changers for me...I love this gun):

The mags are 6 rounds (??) or is it five? But early MP95E mags were 10 rounds and I heard (?) some new mags were coming that were 10 rounders.

The tiny scope rail on the barrel has no recoil stop and is short. I had no success mounting a red dot to it so I went with the Larrys Guns mount (read expensive but a machinist piece of art). It allows its removal (required to field strip the gun for cleaning) and replacement without having to re-zero the gun. The gun also can not be field stripped with a red dot on the tiny rail on the barre as the slide has to be removed with that rail area clear of protrusions.

The extractor was untuned but worked perfect with nothing over the chamber area of the gun. The Larrys Guns mount goes over that area and jams were the norm until I tuned the extractor to the classical shape. Without the mount extraction/ejection was fine but the case would come out of the gun every which way but the same direction originally. Tuning the extractor made them NOT bounce up and against the underside of the Larry Guns mount.

Got it all working fine with an UltraDot one inch diameter red dot for super accuracy.

You too will get to love your MP95E, I am pretty sure.

LDBennett
Old 05-20-2017, 10:08 PM
lawboy

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I owned an IZH35M and loved it. The Breechface finally peened. I own a Marvel Unit 1 which I run on Nelson magazines. It is on a dedicated 2011 aluminum frame. It is awesome. I would keep the IZH35M and buy a Marvel or advantage Arms or Nelson conversion.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:40 AM
gregbenner

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBennett View Post
Mike3838:

I too had an IZH-35 for awhile and currently own the Benelli MP90S. The MP95E is the same gun without the trick fully adjustable two stage trigger and the ERGO
The mags are 6 rounds (??) or is it five? But early MP95E mags were 10 rounds and I heard (?) some new mags were coming that were 10 rounders.
ons.
You too will get to love your MP95E, I am pretty sure.

LDBennett
Larry's offers nine round mags for the 22 version of the MP90s I have had some on order for a few months. I have a pair of Mp90s, 22 &32. I too think/hope I will learn to love them, but I'm not there yet.