Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:35 AM
jdoerr
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remington 550-1 Cartridge Stop Detent

Hello all, new to RFC and first time poster.
I have done an extensive search throughout this forum but cannot find an answer to a question I have.
While cleaning my 550-1 I found something that doesn't quite look right. There is a gap between my cartridge stop and the cartridge stop detent pin. Now common sense tells me that the cartridge stop detent pin should interact with the lobe on the cartridge stop and possibly the lobe on the carrier but mine does not. Is this normal? The detent spring is not broken, I can push the pin in and it will pop back out as soon as I release it. I've tried to pull it out further using a pick but it is protruding as far as possible. There is no easy method of measuring how far the detent pin is protruding without further disassembly. Maybe the pin is worn or maybe the carrier and cartridge stop are. I cannot find any pictures on the internet that show the marriage of these components, only exploded diagrams or individual component pictures.
This gun has always had intermittent failure to feed issues no matter how clean it is. I know its not usual floating chamber problem, mine is floating. It has to be something else which led me do a closer examination of the rest of the gun and I noticed this gap on the carrier assembly. I really don't want to start throwing parts at it until I have a better idea of what the problem is. Plus replacing the detent pin would require removing the receiver insert assembly
I would post a picture but I think I don't have that privilege yet since I just registered today.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:16 AM
jdoerr
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is the best picture I can get.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:39 AM
jdoerr
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
or maybe not....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2017, 10:55 AM
Nobody
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I have a scanned 'cutaway' diagram of the 550 action (both open & closed) that shows the lifter mechanism pretty well (Old owner Manual from Steve's Pages; same as the original 'hang tag info). If you don't have one, or would like a copy, PM me your email address & I'll send it along. I also have a PDF on assembly/disassembly but it sounds like you're pretty well familiar with the 550 rifles... Oh, I don't know the answer to the ?? in your OP. Perhaps Bob (rsv1mos) will see your post and provide an answer. He is the local 'guru' on the 550 rifles, having rebuilt/rehabbed many.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:47 PM
jdoerr
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for responding Nobody, I sent you a PM with my email but I think I found the cutaway diagram you spoke of and it does show the detent pin making contact with the cartridge stop. I will probably go ahead and buy a new carrier assembly along with the detent pin and spring. There is enough information on this forum about how to remove the sear and trigger assembly that I am confident I can do it successfully. You are right about rsv1mos being the guru on 550 rifles, I have read many, many of his posts. Very informative!

On a side note I just finished with the 6th coat of Tru Oil on my freshly stained stock and it is looking awesome. I'll post some pics (if I can) once the carrier group replacement is complete and the rifle is back together. Can't wait.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:25 PM
rsv1mos
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Diagram w/ detent

Picture head on all three

Diagram 550

Picture 550 and 550-1 inserts

3 inserts side view

I doubt going to the trouble of replacing your cartridge stop and detent pin will help you a lot.

The model 550 did not even have a detent pin, nor did the early (1945-1950) model 550-1's. See picture.

As you know you will have to remove the complete action to drive the receiver insert out the back of the receiver, not impossible but not easy either.

But, look at it as a learning experience and do it. It's sorta like fun.

Intermittent failures are not uncommon among many semi autos and the 550 series is no exception. I would suspect in part due to ammunition.

I hope the pictures will help you in your endeavor. I tossed in one showing a model 550 receiver insert just for grins. The ejector is built into the insert at the extreme left end. The 550 did not have the ejector milled into the receiver like the 550-1.

Good luck - Bob

BTW, I have seen the same thing that you describe in many 550-1's where the pin never contacts the stop, most worked just fine. If you remove the insert, you will have to drive out the retaining pin. Pretty easy, just clean the hole, spring and pin well lube lightly with Remoil and replace. I hope that it helps.

Last edited by rsv1mos; 03-27-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:34 PM
jdoerr
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello Bob, its a pleasure to meet you. Thank you for responding and for all the information you provided.
This rifle has always had another problem that I am hoping will be corrected by replacing the carrier assembly and detent pin. When loading the first round I have to pull the bolt back and release it as fast as I can or the round will not feed properly. I've watch a few videos on YouTube of people loading the first round in their 550-1 and they are able to pull the bolt back slowly, allowing the next round to "pre-stage" and then release the bolt to chamber it. On my rifle, if I held it at a 90 degree angle and pulled the bolt all the way back the round would fall out on the ground. Its something I've just gotten use to but now its time to make it right. After that first round is loaded it will shoot all day with shorts but LR will often jam to the point where the lead is nearly broke off the brass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carrier assembly.JPG (49.6 KB, 50 views)
Old 03-31-2017, 07:36 PM
rsv1mos

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Remove the bolt and check the extractor. The "claw" should be nice and sharp and not worn. Use your finger tip to pull the extractor back. You should encounter a lot of resistance. The extractor should hold the captured round tightly against the face of the bolt. I'm sure that you have removed the firing pin and cleaned the bolts face well, a lot of spent powder can be retained in the crevices.

In lieu of removing the extractor, not an easy job to do or to replace, use some carb/brake cleaner to clean it in place, then blow dry with compressed air. I like to relube with Remoil and blow out the excess with compressed air.

If you do pull the extractor, be very careful not to lose the tiny spring or plunger.

Can you provide a picture of the action springs (recoil and firing pin) in place on the receiver plug assembly? I would like to see if they are stock or have been replaced.

A properly cleaned and serviced 550-1 will cycle a round every time assuming quality ammunition is used.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:48 PM
jdoerr
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello Bob, Thank you for your continued assistance.

I inspected the extractor and all seems to be okay. Then I loaded some dummy rounds and cycle them through slowly to see what really is going on. Most of them cycled through without any problem I was pulling the bolt back slowly and either releasing the bolt or easing it forward slowly. Most chambered fine but every once in a while one wouldn't prestage (I don't know the proper term) properly. The nose of the round would still be in the inner receiver so when the bolt came forward the round jam. In one of these situations I was able to push up on the cartridge stop / carrier assembly from under the rifle and the nose of the round popped up and the round cambered properly. Another time I used a pick to push the round further backwards and the nose of the round popped back up.
I don't know how to add captions to my pics, so...

Pic 1: Problem - nose of round not clearing the inner receiver
Pic 2: What happens if I release the bolt when the incoming round looks like pic 1
Pic 3: I used a pick to push the round to the rear of the firearm to dislodge the nose of the round
Pic 4: Slowly easing the bolt forward. Note the extractor is capturing the incoming round
Pic 5: Round is fully captured and almost fully chambered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170331_202500_resized.jpg (257.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20170331_203149_resized.jpg (330.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20170331_202552_resized.jpg (253.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20170331_202647_resized.jpg (232.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20170331_202706_resized.jpg (227.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-01-2017, 07:54 AM
rsv1mos

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
"This gun has always had intermittent failure to feed issues no matter how clean it is"

Does that mean that you have completely disassembled the action and cleaned it? Probably not.

First, on most semi-actions you do not slowly operate the bolt when chambering a round. Just aggressively pull the bolt handle all the way back release it and let it fly forward just like it does when a round is fired, the whole action assembly is calibrated to do just that. Even if you are just experimentating, that will introduce problems not highlight them.

At worst, you could have a binding between the cartridge stop and the carrier or the pin that they ride on.

If you really want to learn about these and desire a really clean action you should completely strip it and individually clean each part. Not an easy task but fun and educational.

Just quickly:

Remove the receiver plug assembly and the bolt.

Remove the magazine, take down bushing and tiny screw under it. Don't lose this screw, they are hard to find!! Remove the outer magazine. Remove the receiver plug retainer, save the screw. Remove the safety assembly.

Drive out all the pins. This will unload the sear spring.

Carefully remove the trigger assembly. Unscrew the sear cup and retain the spring. Remove the sear and cartridge stop assembly. Flush the action with gun scrubber, then drive out the receiver insert front to back.

Clean/inspect all parts and the inside of the receiver and assemble in reverse order.

Chances are all this is unnecessary if you are just having occasional feeding problems. You can just flush the action with Gun Scrubber blow out with compressed air, spray with Remoil and more compressed air and attain 90% effectiness of a complete disassembly.