Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:49 AM
tmont
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How to add adjustable butt plate to 1807

Good morning, gentlemen.

I am shooting a nice old 1807 re-living my youth through 3-P (sure was easier to assume those positions 50 years ago). When I shot 3P in college we had the old 1400 series guns with the adjustable butt plates and hooks....and I learned how valuable that feature is.

The 1807 stock did not incorporate that feature and I am exploring adding one to mine. Could any of you offer suggestions on how that might be best accomplished? I would like one with ability to add butt hook, and bet someone on the forum has done this. I have seen the system offered by Masterclass on the web and that looks to be a good prospect.

I considered purchasing a 1907 stock which would incorporate the more advanced butt plate....but those things are sure pricey!

Thanks in advance as always.
Tom
Old 01-19-2017, 11:32 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tom,

Anschutz have sold their butt hardware separately, so you could ask one of the vendors about prices for new 1907 or 1913 hardware. Be warned this won't bde cheap, and you may face costs for installation. Older hardware can sometimes be found on auction sights, however I don't think there is enough meat in an 1807 butt for this. You would anyway need to shorten the wood by 2-3in, otherwise it would be much too long. A cheap option would be to replace the rubber buttplate with a 1413 hookbutt, although you would not have the length or lateral adjustment.

Remember the 1807 was built as an ISU Standard rifle, so ergonomic adjustment was strictly limited, and no changes were permitted during a 3x20 competition bar raising or lowering the buttplate.

Rather than spending money on attempts to make a Free Rifle from a Standard rifle (a pig and lipstick situation), I'd suggest looking for a second hand 14/16/18/1913 stock, or buying a new 1913 stock (or a 1914 if you are slight of build). Personally I'd avoid the 1907, it doesn't have the full range of butt adjustment, and the fore-end is rather too deep for prone.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:12 PM
Bob Smalser
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
There are plenty of buttplate options, but between a modern buttplate and carrier plus gunsmith installation, you're talking well over 500 bucks. If you have a drill press or lathe and are skilled at stockwork and inletting, you can do this yourself, but having done a few, it's a more involved job that it appears.

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Mai...ns&item=001119

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Mai...ns&item=009279

http://www.champchoice.com/store/mai...ns&item=001114

Making probably the wisest solution for resale value a complete update with a new stock with modern cheekpiece, given that your existing stock is worth 300 or more on eBay.

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Mai...ns&item=011908

Last edited by Bob Smalser; 01-19-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2017, 06:06 PM
tmont
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate those suggestions. This old gun is a pretty good shooter....but would like to tweak the butt plate a bit. Looks like Champions Choice and Champion Shooters may offer a less expensive alternative than using the Anschutz parts. Thanks and please offer additional suggestions if you have them.
As always, this forum is such a treasure trove of great dialog. Tom
Old 01-19-2017, 06:27 PM
Bob Smalser

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

We've that T-shirt in the drawer, too, and that buttplate won't do anything for you. Not enough vertical adjustment for an adult. You'll crane your neck to see through the sights, wrecking your position. You'll be better off with what you have.

Last edited by Bob Smalser; 01-19-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:41 PM
tmont
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Now that is a pretty good assortment of experimentation! So I assume you are advising to "dance with the one what brung you" as Jimmy Deane used to say.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smalser View Post

We've that T-shirt in the drawer, too, and that buttplate won't do anything for you. Not enough vertical adjustment for an adult. You'll crane your neck to see through the sights, wrecking your position. You'll be better off with what you have.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:43 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmont View Post
So I assume you are advising to "dance with the one what brung you" as Jimmy Deane used to say.....
Sort of, I think Bob is also suggesting that it's not viable to modify an 1807 in the way you want, as the hardware you need to replicate a Supermatch is expensive to buy, and cheaper parts, like the CC own-brand hook butt, won't really improve matters as it offers no more adjustment than the standard plate.

Last edited by tim slater; 01-20-2017 at 06:28 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:07 AM
tmont
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tim: Dad used to call it trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, and I am guilty of that numerous times. I was most interested in utilizing the butt hook in offhand......i recall that being a nice feature when I shot Annies in college......but that was some 50 years ago. Thanks again. Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim slater View Post
Sort of, I think Bob is also suggesting that it's not viable to modify an 1807 in the way you want, as the hardware you need to replicate a Supermatch is expensive to buy, and cheaper parts, like the CC own-brand hook butt, won't really improve matters as it offers no more adjustment than the standard plate.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:17 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you just want a hook, that would not be expensive. However, without the adjudtable base you may not be able to make full use of it; a hook isn't just a counter lever (in prone, it's not even that). A hook will improve the security of the butt in your shoulder, however if the rifle isn't where you need to aim, you undo the security by twisting and tensing your neck and shoulders to aim. This is why Supermatch butts have had the facility to move the plate lett/right and for cant since the 1960s.

Without this adjustment, a simple rubber plate that can be located anywhere in the shoulder allows more freedom.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:40 PM
tmont
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Excellent point, Tim, and certainly worth consideration.

I last shot in college in 1969 with an Anschutz 1400 series rifle....don't recall the model, but it did have the thumbhole stock with a butt hook which had horizontal adjustability. I honestly don't recall it having the capability of moving the plate left or right....but that may be a failure of memory. That rifle sure was fun to shoot.

Freeland apparently used to offer a 4-way adjustable butt plate system which would have incorporated that feature and been perfect, but looks like that model is no longer available.

Quote:
If you just want a hook, that would not be expensive. However, without the adjudtable base you may not be able to make full use of it; a hook isn't just a counter lever (in prone, it's not even that). A hook will improve the security of the butt in your shoulder, however if the rifle isn't where you need to aim, you undo the security by twisting and tensing your neck and shoulders to aim. This is why Supermatch butts have had the facility to move the plate lett/right and for cant since the 1960s.

Without this adjustment, a simple rubber plate that can be located anywhere in the shoulder allows more freedom.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:55 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That sounds like a 1413. Lateral adjustment arrived in the mid '60s, so you''s may only have been in-out and up-down, although many shooters have never realised the facility was there, as you have/had to remove the buttplate to expose the locking bolts.

The downside to large alu but assemblies like the Freeland or Tubb, is the weight, and it's effect on the rifle''s balance.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:01 PM
Bob Smalser

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmont View Post
I was most interested in utilizing the butt hook in offhand......i recall that being a nice feature when I shot Annies in college......

Look at the distance between the top of the cheek piece and the butthook necessary for level eyes. You won't achieve that with anything less than a major stock workover if you want to use a hook.

The alternative is to forego the hook and use the toe of the stock in the pocket of the shoulder, applying cant as required to level the eyes.

Last edited by Bob Smalser; 01-20-2017 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:03 PM
tmont
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is entirely possible, Tim. Back in those days we were told to never run anything down the bore during the shooting season....and our team shot whatever ammo we were given. We cleaned the bore at the end of the season. But the rifles were works of art. Would like to have one now..... Tom

Quote:
That sounds like a 1413. Lateral adjustment arrived in the mid '60s, so you''s may only have been in-out and up-down, although many shooters have never realised the facility was there, as you have/had to remove the buttplate to expose the locking bolts.

The downside to large alu but assemblies like the Freeland or Tubb, is the weight, and it's effect on the rifle''s balance.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:05 PM
tmont
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lots of progress made, Bob. Thanks for passing along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smalser View Post

Look at the distance between the top of the cheek piece and the butthook necessary for level eyes. You won't achieve that with anything less than a major stock workover if you want to use a hook.

The alternative is to forego the hook and use the toe of the stock in the pocket of the shoulder, applying cat as required to level the eyes.