Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 12:37 PM
bob finger

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
barrel screw head size

Does someone know what head size s Browning is using for the barrel screw?

My Buckmark URX was made in April 2015, and while I have an extensive set of allen/torx etc wrenches nothing, and I mean nothing fits. The actual wrench attachment seems to be recessed inside the head. A smallish torx goes in but does NOT grab.

Lawyers may have invented something new to keep us from changing barrels.

Any solution short of drilling and or an easy-out is appreciated. Thanks. bob
Old 11-11-2016, 05:38 PM
rdas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob finger View Post
Success!!!! I was able to caress a 3mm allen wrench into the bolt head with a 12 ounce hammer and after a bit of heat the bolt came out. I had to put the wrench in a vise and tap the bolt off the wrench, but that is acceptable. bob

ps: still have not heard back from Browning. I won't be holding my breath.
Bob, I had this EXACT same experience with a new Buckmark (purchased in Oct 2016). The only hex wrench I could get in there was a 3mm, and it was a rather tight fit. So tight, in fact, that I couldn't get it to go all the way in (but it was enough to get the screw out without buggering it too badly). Thinking mine was just out of spec, I ordered a replacement from Browning. While ordering, I asked, and she said with conviction that it should be a 7/64 hex head. I haven't tried the replacement yet (just received it the other day). (EDIT: I have since checked it, and it's exactly like the stock screw... 7/64 spins freely, but a 3mm is an overly-tight fit.)

If the replacement is same way, I'll buy an extra 3mm wrench (or two) and sand the flats down a tiny bit, just until it slides in there nicely. Not ideal to need a special tool for this, but way better than rounding it off with the wrong size wrench or because the 3mm wouldn't go in fully.

Last edited by rdas; 11-22-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:56 AM
bob finger

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I received two "spare screws" the other day. Asked the seller about head size and was told "don't know", so I'm assuming what I got are a Browning part.

My 3mm wrench fits tight in both these "spare" screws. Absolutely NO WAY a 7/64 will go in without some file work on the wrench.

So, I'm convinced I can live with a dedicated 3mm wrench for the screws, and with 3 of em on hand I have a lifetime supply. bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2016, 09:49 AM
Bill T
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Closed Thread