Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:53 PM
eros1

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Bald Eagle Rest fix????

I am interested in getting thoughts/ideas on how to eliminate the loose fit of the threads of the elevation adjuster on the rear leg of the cast iron Bald Eagle Rest. I would prefer ways that are do it yourself fixes that can be accomplished with ordinary hand tools. But will consider all ideas.
I have had some success with a couple layers of teflon tape but it wares away in a couple of range days.
Your idea...thoughts please.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2016, 06:32 PM
Dennis D
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Which hand tools?

An easy method would be to make a brass locking wheel that goes on the rear elevation screw between the head of the elevation screw and the base. Then use a thick o-ring between the lock ring and the base. Tighten the lock ring down on the base and the o-ring will exert upward pressure on the rear elevation screw keeping the threads tight. I use this on all three legs of my rest and it works well to take out the play.
If you were really ambitious you could take a hack saw and make a split nut out of the rear thread if there is enough room for the locking screws.

Dennis
Old 10-12-2016, 07:49 PM
eros1

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Thanks Dennis, that a great idea but I use the rear elevation to move up/down between shots to the 25 targets on my card. I am looking for a way to tighten up the very loose threads in the rest foot and screw. As I said the Teflon tape works great for a couple of range days but I was looking for something more permanent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2016, 08:06 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just snug up the lock down collar. Slightly snug allows you to still adjust.

Smooth
Old 10-12-2016, 08:10 PM
chuckbiscuits

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
HeliCoil might do the job. It is used primarily to repair damaged threads, but if you can figure out the diameter and pitch, a kit can't be too awful expensive. Ask at your local auto parts store. Preferably an old-school one where the folks still know what they are talking about....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threaded_insert

Here's the thing: if the threads in the base are sloppy, HeliCoil will fix you right up. If the threads on the screw are sloppy, not so much. If it was me, I would drill out the threaded holes and tap to the next size up. Then, I'd make new leveling screws in the appropriate length and style.

Good luck!!
Old 10-14-2016, 01:37 PM
Dennis D

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Yep, got it

You are talking about the rear screw used for minor elevation changes right? The lock ring with the thick o-ring under it doesn't actually "lock" it down it just puts pressure on it to take the slack out of the threads. You can still turn the screw by hand to use as an adjustment, it just removes the play. I use it on all three screws on my rest to take the wiggle out while still leaving them easy to adjust. The O-ring actually keeps the lock ring from turning when you back off the elevation screw so the tension stays the same up or down, works like a spring putting pressure on the threads, it's not a solid lock.

Dennis
Old 10-14-2016, 07:29 PM
eros1

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Thanks Dennis for the detailed explanation. I will stop by ace hardware tomorrow and pick some O rings.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:19 PM
Smoothtrigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The nylon washer kinda dose the same thing, hence my suggestion to just snug up the collar.

Now it's not clear if Dennis D is talking about the nylon washer that comes with the rest, or has added a O-Ring.

However I'm going to assume he has added an O-Ring, so I'll pick some up and install them tomorrow.

I'll report back with my conclusions.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 10-14-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:42 AM
Dennis D

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
no nylon washer

I don't use washers under the lock ring, just a fat o-ring.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:53 AM
sicumj
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Locktite makes a thread repair. Google it and see if it would meet your expectations.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:04 PM
hawkeye62
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis D View Post
You are talking about the rear screw used for minor elevation changes right? The lock ring with the thick o-ring under it doesn't actually "lock" it down it just puts pressure on it to take the slack out of the threads. You can still turn the screw by hand to use as an adjustment, it just removes the play. I use it on all three screws on my rest to take the wiggle out while still leaving them easy to adjust. The O-ring actually keeps the lock ring from turning when you back off the elevation screw so the tension stays the same up or down, works like a spring putting pressure on the threads, it's not a solid lock.

Dennis
Hey Dennis, just received the O rings I ordered a few days ago. They work just as you described! The lock ring compresses the O ring and the adjusting screw can be adjusted up or down while keeping pressure against the leg. The lock ring moves very little so only an occasional tweak to the lock ring is required to maintain pressure against the leg. And there is no apparent wiggle in the screw. Thanks for a great tip.

Best regards, Jim
Old 10-24-2016, 05:19 PM
Dennis D

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Glad it worked!

I was a little worried it might not work as well on another rest as it does on mine so I was hesitant to post but it's such a cheap simple thing to try I figured why not.

Dennis
Old 10-25-2016, 10:45 AM
hawkeye62

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis D View Post
I was a little worried it might not work as well on another rest as it does on mine so I was hesitant to post but it's such a cheap simple thing to try I figured why not.

Dennis
It works perfectly on my Bald Eagle. I removed the washer and put the O ring directly on the leg and tightened the lock ring against the O ring. I tightened the lock ring hard finger tight. Yesterday at the range, I didn't have to adjust the lock ring at all. Perfect up/down elevation adjustment and the lock ring didn't move.

Thanks again for such a great idea.

Edit: I use these under each foot.

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-ac...prod34461.aspx

Regards, Jim

Last edited by hawkeye62; 10-25-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:24 AM
Smoothtrigger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Be sure to get the 3 inch railgun version.

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-ac...ampaign=Itwine The one's that end in 106WB.
Smooth
Old 10-25-2016, 01:52 PM
hawkeye62

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothtrigger View Post
Be sure to get the 3 inch railgun version.

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-ac...ampaign=Itwine The one's that end in 106WB.
Smooth
I guess because the larger surface is less likely to slip?

Regards, Jim