Mark II pistols are great guns!
Old 10-16-2015, 02:05 PM
Galica

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternMutt View Post
Mark II pistols are great guns!
Is the trigger the same as on MK III or is it better ?
Old 10-16-2015, 02:26 PM
MidwesternMutt
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Better because there is no magazine disconnect safety present. But VQ trigger is still a step up I believe. Sometimes the base trigger's pin holes may be slightly out of round. This does not matter for a fun gun, but can make a difference in competition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2015, 06:55 AM
Galica

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Better because there is no magazine disconnect safety present. But VQ trigger is still a step up I believe. Sometimes the base trigger's pin holes may be slightly out of round. This does not matter for a fun gun, but can make a difference in competition.
How about a LCI ?
Old 10-17-2015, 07:45 AM
MidwesternMutt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mark II models do not have a loaded chamber indicator (LCI). Mark II models have a solid receiver without the cutout.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:47 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mark II pistols also lack the safety lock in the main spring housing (MSH); they have wider "ears" on the back of the bolt; the hammer doesn't have a chunk milled out of it; and the mag release is at the heel of the frame.

I think most people prefer the design of the Mark II, except for the position of the mag release.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:22 AM
Galica

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice input!

Im going to try one out next week and hopefully buy it. He wants 365 $ for it. I dont know if its worth it you guys tell me?. But it seems that the mark II where made a little more ''made in the america with pride'' rather than these new ones which by any means is nothing wrong with. But still there are a couple of gimmicks on mark 3 that i don't like. LCI, magazine disconnector...
Old 10-17-2015, 10:03 AM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I have several MKIII's, never owned a MKII but have shot several. If that's what you want, you can make a MKIII into a MKII except for the magazine release and that's not desireable anyway.

The MKIII is the current model. You can buy it new and have many choices. If you don't like the trigger, the mag safety or the LCI you can fix those inexpensively. You can improve on the "fit" and finishing if need be. I've removed my mag safeties except on the gun that novices usually shoot. My aftermarket barrels have no LCI but I wish they did. It's so easy to tilt the gun slightly to see whether a round is loaded or not. (You don't want that to be your only safety check, but it's a good one.)

I don't mean that there is anything wrong with the MKII but IMO there is no reason to buy one in preference to a MKIII. I would certainly buy a MKII at the right price and around here $365 would be the right price. Same with a MKIII.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:06 AM
MidwesternMutt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is it possible?

Since they are not making the Mark II anymore, I don't see their prices ever going down. Show the guy $325 and see if he takes the deal.

Last edited by MidwesternMutt; 10-17-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:18 AM
Galica

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Since they are not making the Mark II anymore, I don't see their prices ever going down. Show the guy $325 and see if he takes the deal.
Im thinking the same. But i will make sure its in fine condition and check for any wear just like you recommended and will see. A new mark III is ordered any way.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:24 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPuncher View Post
I have several MKIII's, never owned a MKII but have shot several. If that's what you want, you can make a MKIII into a MKII except for the magazine release and that's not desireable anyway.
This is not true. Except for the 22/45 mkiii, you CAN put in a mark 2 mag release, and it will work fine.

It also IS desireable in a number of ways. First, you can use either mkii OR mkiii magazines in a mkiii pistol with a mkii release. Second, there are fewer feeding problems using the mkii release. The biggest drawback is that mag changes are a little slower.

Bottom line is - if you want a mkii, you are better off buying one than converting a mkiii into one. The cost of all the replacement parts for a conversion is more than the price difference of the 2 pistol types.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:39 AM
SGW Gunsmith
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPuncher View Post
I have several MKIII's, never owned a MKII but have shot several. If that's what you want, you can make a MKIII into a MKII except for the magazine release and that's not desirable anyway.

The MKIII is the current model. You can buy it new and have many choices. If you don't like the trigger, the mag safety or the LCI you can fix those inexpensively. You can improve on the "fit" and finishing if need be. I've removed my mag safeties except on the gun that novices usually shoot. My aftermarket barrels have no LCI but I wish they did. It's so easy to tilt the gun slightly to see whether a round is loaded or not. (You don't want that to be your only safety check, but it's a good one.)

I don't mean that there is anything wrong with the MKII but IMO there is no reason to buy one in preference to a MKIII. I would certainly buy a MKII at the right price and around here $365 would be the right price. Same with a MKIII.
The change-over of magazine releases, not really being desirable is a very GOOD point. Sure, it can be done, but why? Installing the European style magazine latch, in the Mark III, such as the Ruger Mark II currently employs would only involve two pins, a spring and then, a whole lot of money ($10.00 ) for an aftermarket extended magazine latch/release. But then, why would you need two magazine releases? To use two different magazines? Not very prudent in my mind.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:53 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you add the mkii mag release, you remove the mkiii release. Only problem is no aftermarket "hole filler" is being made yet.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:15 PM
Galica

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Are the same restrictions applied to the state of New york?

I cant see why ruger use a LCI when a LCI is supposed to be imprinted in your spine after your first gun. By that i mean you always have to consider a weapon loaded and if you are not sure just open the bolt and check again... Are people that lazy, that they don't want to open and check twice ? Funny.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:07 PM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galica View Post
...I cant see why ruger use a LCI when a LCI is supposed to be imprinted in your spine after your first gun. By that i mean you always have to consider a weapon loaded and if you are not sure just open the bolt and check again... Are people that lazy, that they don't want to open and check twice ? Funny.
Well yeah, I guess I am. My MKIII's have never failed to fire or reload the next round without problem of course. Never will. But when I'm shooting in a match and for some reason I'm suspicious that all will not be well with the next shot, it's far easier and less disruptive to tilt the gun slightly and look at the LCI than to bring it down far enough to see a stovepipe. Retracting the bolt is out of the question if speed or concentration is important.

I agree that we should all know how to make a gun safe but if you take your opinion to its logical conclusion, there is no reason to have safeties on guns either. And Ruger isn't the only manufacturer to have a way to check for a round in the chamber without opening it. I have pistols from Glock and S&W with some form of LCI, and there are others.