Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:05 AM
Galica

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Thank you for your answers Yukon!
i have 30.000 swedish kronors to spend on pistol and equipment(3690 USD)
This is the kind of shooting i compete in right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5m3GgZCGgE
you have to be fast and precise, and precision is a big thing ofc. But i think that a ruger would do just fine. You shoot from 12-17 seconds depends on what station you are at, there are 8 stations and sometimes there are 10.

Why do i need this gun to function well on precision shooting?

Here in sweden we have to renew our licenses for our pistols each and every 5 years. And you do that by shooting gold targets .46 out of 50 points,

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mike...tavla.jpg.html
the target is 60x60 cm big, center is 25mm ..

the 10=50 mm
ring 9=100 mm
ring 8=150 mm
ring 7=200 mm
ring 1=500 mm
which ring you hit= points
This is precision shooting in sweden. Just wanted to point this out so you get a point.

you have to present them to the police which in turn they will send you the renewed licenses. You also sometimes need to compete to show that you really need the guns....
This is why i need a pistol that can at least outshoot me. In the future i will probably buy a fwb or whatever if i feel that the pistol is the problem that i cant get better results. When you talk to people here they tell you get the best directly as your first gun because you will just have to buy it later anyway. I dont agree with that and i know alot of others who don't. Money is not an issue for me but i have to say that i am new to pistol shooting. I have been in competitions, and i have achieved good scores, better then those whose shoot for years.

as a conclusion i want to do both of these things,

on precision shooting my only need there, is to be able to shoot those 46 points nothing else i wont compete on that.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:59 PM
YukonJack
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Jeez, it's like that video was in Greek or something

I would agree you can't go wrong buying the best from the outset..as long as you are comfortable having big dollars/kronors tied up in a specialty pistol.

-Mark
Old 10-15-2015, 12:54 PM
Galica

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post
Jeez, it's like that video was in Greek or something

I would agree you can't go wrong buying the best from the outset..as long as you are comfortable having big dollars/kronors tied up in a specialty pistol.

-Mark
Well, im 100% sure its going to be a cheap option(ruger) im not sad. Wife apparently needs a new kitchen and bathroom restoration.... feels good to be poor again 4-5 weeks until the new shipment comes from the United states, i hate waiting.

But i will keep this thread updated with my competition activity when my pistol arrives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2015, 03:13 PM
MidwesternMutt
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Which model did you choose? For example, I have a Ruger model 10119 that shoots like a dream after the above mentioned modifications.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:24 PM
Galica

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I choose model 10101...but. .. There is a secondhand ruger mark 2 bull barrel anatomic grips for sale..
Old 10-15-2015, 03:45 PM
MidwesternMutt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good choice to compete! And plink. And hunt. And tweak. And enjoy!
Old 10-15-2015, 03:57 PM
Galica

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternMutt View Post
Which model did you choose? For example, I have a Ruger model 10119 that shoots like a dream after the above mentioned modifications.
what is the difference between these models ?
Old 10-15-2015, 04:04 PM
MidwesternMutt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is it possible?

My gun is a fun gun. Accurate, yes, but maybe not best choice for what you need. If you Google the model numbers you can see the difference.
The model numbers are listed in the Ruger.com mobile website.

Last edited by MidwesternMutt; 10-15-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:06 PM
MidwesternMutt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444939543.657536.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444939570.803183.jpg
Old 10-15-2015, 04:26 PM
Galica

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thx for clearing that up!
Old 10-15-2015, 04:28 PM
MidwesternMutt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Haha! No worries. Google is our friend.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:32 AM
ScattershotPosts

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galica View Post
Here in sweden we have to renew our licenses for our pistols each and every 5 years. And you do that by shooting gold targets .46 out of 50 points,

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mike...tavla.jpg.html
the target is 60x60 cm big, center is 25mm ..

the 10=50 mm
ring 9=100 mm
ring 8=150 mm
ring 7=200 mm
ring 1=500 mm
which ring you hit= points
This is precision shooting in sweden. Just wanted to point this out so you get a point.
I thought I'd posted this. Must not have taken.

http://www.indecorous.com/bullseye/rings.html

Those are our target sizes, shot one-handed. Iron sights or red dots with no magnification may be used.

Our 50-foot target features a .9" 10-ring. I'd say that any Ruger with a factory target barrel (say, all bull, slab, and fluted barrels over 5") will happily group at half that size at that range, with good ammunition. That's slow fire--10 shots, 10 minutes.

The outdoor (25/50-yard) targets are scaled up for the range, but as the author points out, they're scaled a little too big if you strictly compare ring size in minutes of arc. Rugers are used by the outdoor guys, who are usually shooting 2700 matches--a 90-shot match each with rimfire, centerfire (anything over .32), and a .45 ACP. Rugers are less popular there, mostly because the average 2700 shooter has already spent thousands on their other guns (plus ammo, reloading equipment, travel, match fees, etc), so they'll opt for something more expensive than the Ruger. That said, I know of a couple outdoor masters using Rugers.

Timed fire is 5 shots in 20 seconds, rapid is 5 in 10 seconds. There, the 10-ring measures 1.8" at 50 feet.

I think you'll be more than happy with the Ruger's stock upper. And probably the trigger as well.

PS--I watched your video. The second guy from the left, the little one dressed in black? Tell him to get his finger off the trigger until he's on target. Off target, off trigger, on target, on trigger.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:05 AM
Galica

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScattershotPosts View Post
I thought I'd posted this. Must not have taken.

http://www.indecorous.com/bullseye/rings.html

Those are our target sizes, shot one-handed. Iron sights or red dots with no magnification may be used.

Our 50-foot target features a .9" 10-ring. I'd say that any Ruger with a factory target barrel (say, all bull, slab, and fluted barrels over 5") will happily group at half that size at that range, with good ammunition. That's slow fire--10 shots, 10 minutes.

The outdoor (25/50-yard) targets are scaled up for the range, but as the author points out, they're scaled a little too big if you strictly compare ring size in minutes of arc. Rugers are used by the outdoor guys, who are usually shooting 2700 matches--a 90-shot match each with rimfire, centerfire (anything over .32), and a .45 ACP. Rugers are less popular there, mostly because the average 2700 shooter has already spent thousands on their other guns (plus ammo, reloading equipment, travel, match fees, etc), so they'll opt for something more expensive than the Ruger. That said, I know of a couple outdoor masters using Rugers.

Timed fire is 5 shots in 20 seconds, rapid is 5 in 10 seconds. There, the 10-ring measures 1.8" at 50 feet.

I think you'll be more than happy with the Ruger's stock upper. And probably the trigger as well.

PS--I watched your video. The second guy from the left, the little one dressed in black? Tell him to get his finger off the trigger until he's on target. Off target, off trigger, on target, on trigger.
Thank you for the input, this is very good information. A lot of people here wants me to buy a match pistol from 60 or 70s Unique for instance. But no i don't want old stuff i know its ok but the ruger seems to be just as good. The ruger is not popular here either. I think its because 99% off all clubs here has old funky uniques as club pistols and other pistols. There are a lot of unqiues circulating on local shooting competitions and its because clubs lend them the guns to compete most people do not have a lot of money to spend on new never used match grade pistols.

My plan is as i have written below to tweak and tune it to my liking and we will see how that works out.

Last edited by Galica; 10-16-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:12 PM
SGW Gunsmith
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galica View Post
And their answers are , Buy a morini cm22 , feinwerkbau aw93 or pardini pistols :P. But the reason that i want a ruger is.

-It seems to be durable due to its robust construction which i really like on pistols.
-There are a lot of aftermarket stuff for it.
-it has a huge fan base
-it seems to shoot very good for the money, enough for me.

Only downside i have seen buy reading in this forum is that it seems to sometimes have shifty quality, now i have bought a couple of rugers 10/22 before, yes they are not so polished and have a bad trigger, but they shoot good and are robust.

So i kinda expect the same thing out off a mark III pistol.
I think your expectations are warranted concerning a Ruger Mark pistol. I shot this Ruger Mark I for several years when shooting "bullseye".

When the Ruger Mark II came out in 1982, I bought a Competition Target for that discipline. One of the guys in the Wednesday night league owned a Morini and let me shoot it. Very impressive pistol, but nothing magical about hitting the 10-ring was involved with it. He was one of those folks who thought he could "purchase" higher scores, instead of practicing more and save the gizmo money to buy "GOOD" rimfire ammunition.

One main reason that I went to the Ruger Mark II Competition Target was, at the time, I could use the longer sight radius that the 6-7/8 barrel carried. And then, after five rounds, the bolt hold open system prevented me from dry firing. With the Ruger Mark I, I would load a plastic wall anchor first in the magazine, then five live rounds. Yes, the wall anchors will indeed feed from your magazine and then prevent any possibility of a chamber ding.

I don't ship outside of the US, the hassle with the post office is more than I want to deal with. Packages must be sealed tighter than a ducks bunghole, with no visible, open seams that could be breeched.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:38 PM
Galica

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
I think your expectations are warranted concerning a Ruger Mark pistol. I shot this Ruger Mark I for several years when shooting "bullseye".

When the Ruger Mark II came out in 1982, I bought a Competition Target for that discipline. One of the guys in the Wednesday night league owned a Morini and let me shoot it. Very impressive pistol, but nothing magical about hitting the 10-ring was involved with it. He was one of those folks who thought he could "purchase" higher scores, instead of practicing more and save the gizmo money to buy "GOOD" rimfire ammunition.

One main reason that I went to the Ruger Mark II Competition Target was, at the time, I could use the longer sight radius that the 6-7/8 barrel carried. And then, after five rounds, the bolt hold open system prevented me from dry firing. With the Ruger Mark I, I would load a plastic wall anchor first in the magazine, then five live rounds. Yes, the wall anchors will indeed feed from your magazine and then prevent any possibility of a chamber ding.

I don't ship outside of the US, the hassle with the post office is more than I want to deal with. Packages must be sealed tighter than a ducks bunghole, with no visible, open seams that could be breeched.
Thank you for your input SGW gunsmith.

You are right, there are those in my club that owns dangerously expensive pistols and allways comes at 9-10 place on competitions. So its like when i went to school all the cool kids where smoking cigarettes early and always wanted you to smoke with them to be ''cool'' but i think i got enough input from RFC to make my decision. I got in touch with a guy that lives close my place. He has a ruger mk II for sale for half the price of a new gun. I am going to visit him next week, inspect it and shoot it. And if i dont like that one im buying a new ruger mk III. To bad you don't do business outside the united states because my next move was going to be to contact your for some parts. But i understand you.