Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:31 PM
Galica

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Swedish Mark III Thread

Some time ago i bought my first pistols two walthers PP one in 22 and 32 acp both are german made not french, i use them for competition in a class called field snubby(sweden). But i cannot shoot precision with these its way to hard...

Im thinkin off buying a bullseye pistol(bullseye in sweden is at 30yards) Precision shooting. Im thinking off getting a ruger mk3 with a rink grips. The problem is that i have never handled one off these guns and i dont know how much work you need to put on it for me to have a chance. I know the trigger is really bad. I have a ruger 10/22 wich i really like but the original factory barrel and trigger.....maybe is not match grade so to speak.

What about the ruger pistols ? what can you expect off it, and i mean with ironsights at 30 yards. Ammo is not a problem here, i can buy norma, cci, blazer, lapua, SK(whole sortiment) fiochi,eley and some other crappy brands.

I really like american weapons so i would really like to give this pistol a chance, people here use fwb aw 93 ALOT! at one competion wich i attended there was 340 ppl competing and 80% off them was using fwb aw 93... i saw 2 rugers..

So please you guys out there that been using this gun for precision shooting ..help!

Last edited by FlysAlot; 11-23-2015 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Title change at the request of the OP
Old 10-06-2015, 03:31 PM
MidwesternMutt
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is it possible?

I don't shoot for precision, but I will tell you that my Mark III 22/45 trigger is light and crisp after installing a Volquartsen (VQ) Adjustable Trigger, a VQ sear, a Clark Custom Sear Pin and Hammer Bushing, and removing the Chamber Loaded Indicator (CLI).
My trigger breaks without my barrel moving, but I do not have a gauge. I would guess 2-2.5 pound trigger pull.

Can you get these aftermarket parts overseas? If not, have Sarona Gun Works (SGW) set it up and ship it to you. Sarona is a sponsor here. He has a number of years experience with Ruger .22 semi-autos.

Edit: the gun I mention above might have the BAM hammer bushing. BAM is also a sponsor here. I believe the Clark parts are in an older Mark II.

Last edited by MidwesternMutt; 10-06-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:09 PM
Galica

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MidwesternMutt,thank you very much for that great input. Sarona seems to know what hes talking about, i actully been reading alot of stuff and wrote them down so when i go and buy the gun i can check and make sure i get a good example.

Last edited by Galica; 10-06-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2015, 04:21 PM
MidwesternMutt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is it possible?

The Clark Bushing is Mark II style and does not have the step that the BAM bushing has to best fit the Mark III hammer. When you take out the magazine disconnect parts from a Mark III, the step in the hammer is evident. The best replacement part to use on a Mark III is the Mark III replacement style, such as the BAM bushing, or the Tandemcross bushing.

Best of luck to you! Please post a photo of the new gun once you receive it. 🏽

Last edited by MidwesternMutt; 10-06-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:47 PM
Robhic
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galica View Post
Sarona seems to know what hes talking about, i actully been reading alot of stuff
Don't let him fool you. He knows a LOT of stuff about Ruger guns after 40 years! I kid him that Bill Ruger used to ask him for advice before he (Bill Ruger) died! If SGW doesn't know the answer, it doesn't exist.

NRA Patron Member

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons.

- Gen. Douglas MacArthur
Old 10-06-2015, 05:50 PM
Robhic
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternMutt View Post
The Clark Bushing is Mark II style and does not have the step that the BAM bushing has to best fit the Mark III hammer. When you take out the magazine disconnect parts from a Mark III, the step in the hammer is evident. The best replacement part to use on a Mark III is the Mark III replacement style, such as the BAM bushing, or the Tandemcross bushing.

Don't sell the Clark Bushing short. I have 'em in all my MkIIIs. Got 'em before the others even existed. Sure the others are different, but the Clark will work fine if it's all you can get.

NRA Patron Member

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons.

- Gen. Douglas MacArthur
Old 10-06-2015, 08:35 PM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
This MKIII has an 8" Tactical Solutions barrel (the longest they make now is 6") and modified iron sights (narrower). It has a Volquartsen trigger group, I made the grips and the magazine safety has been removed. The cost was about 2x the cost of the pistol alone.

I can't do this every time but the pistol can:

Old 10-07-2015, 01:49 AM
Galica

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternMutt View Post

I swear i will , thank you for your help buddy really appreciated.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:53 AM
Galica

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPuncher View Post
This MKIII has an 8" Tactical Solutions barrel (the longest they make now is 6") and modified iron sights (narrower). It has a Volquartsen trigger group, I made the grips and the magazine safety has been removed. The cost was about 2x the cost of the pistol alone.

I can't do this every time but the pistol can:

impressiv to say the least, that is really good. Problem is that aftermarket barrels here are hard to find, i might if i have luck get a volquartsen upper...
Old 10-10-2015, 03:28 PM
Galica

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have another good question to ask for those who know. If i want a crisp yet a little more heavy trigger wich combo should i go for ? new bushing ? new sear? trigger maybe ?

Best regards.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:55 AM
MidwesternMutt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is it possible?

Maybe replace trigger and hammer bushing but leave in factory sear. This should give you a heavier trigger pull, simplify firearm take down and leave the force required to operate the sear a bit higher.

Last edited by MidwesternMutt; 10-11-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:37 PM
YukonJack
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you are new to bullseye-type shooting, then a target type factory Mark III pistol should outshoot you for quite a while (think years) - this is even more true with iron-sights since iron-sight scores are always lower on average than red-dot scores.

Most people dislike the factory Ruger trigger and opt for the Volquartsen accurizing kit early on. You can replace other parts, but it is not needed IMO unless your pistol has a particular problem that needs fixing - this includes replacing the grips.

I don't have bench-rest data, but here's a real-world anecdote (FWIW): I scored a timed-fire target for a bullseye league colleague a couple matches ago. She put 10 shots in the 10 ring (3.25" dia @ 25 yards) in 20 seconds, one hand. Factory Ruger MarkIII Competition with a Volq. trigger and an Ultradot red-dot. Her inability to repeat that every time was not the pistol's fault.

That said, understand that the MarkIIIs with Volquartsen triggers are considered entry level bullseye pistols - it is built to a price-point.

The fwb aw 93 seems comparable to the Pardini .22 pistols the good+serious shooters use in my little league. These are $2500 pistols. Whereas the Ruger with a Volq. kit is $500-700, depending on the base pistol.

*All that said* because you live in Sweden, it would be a good idea to go talk to some local bullseye shooting coaches and see what they recommend. It's possible you have some better choices that we don't in the US, or that the Ruger is a poor choice for reasons other than performance (parts support ? import taxes ?...).

-Mark
Old 10-14-2015, 04:10 AM
Galica

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

*All that said* because you live in Sweden, it would be a good idea to go talk to some local bullseye shooting coaches and see what they recommend. It's possible you have some better choices that we don't in the US, or that the Ruger is a poor choice for reasons other than performance (parts support ? import taxes ?...).

-Mark
And their answers are , Buy a morini cm22 , feinwerkbau aw93 or pardini pistols :P. But the reason that i want a ruger is.

-It seems to be durable due to its robust construction which i really like on pistols.
-There are a lot of aftermarket stuff for it.
-it has a huge fan base
-it seems to shoot very good for the money, enough for me.

Only downside i have seen buy reading in this forum is that it seems to sometimes have shifty quality, now i have bought a couple of rugers 10/22 before, yes they are not so polished and have a bad trigger, but they shoot good and are robust.

So i kinda expect the same thing out off a mark III pistol.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:52 AM
YukonJack
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK, I am not sure what class of shooter you are, but maybe you need to find some bullseye type coaches that deal with newer-to-the-sport shooters (rather than ones that think you need to *start* with a specialized $2500 pistol).

I know one coach that loans prospective bullseye shooters factory Mark 3 22/45s with bull barrels. And rarely cleans them

An additional thought: in my observations, there seems to be a middle tier between the entry level Rugers and high-end fw, Pardini's, etc occupied by pistols including the S&W Model 41, Marvel conversions on 1911 frames and full Volquartsen builds. Depending on your skill & budget, you might want to start there.

Finally, I would agree with all your observations about the Ruger - robust, lots of aftermarket support, etc. You can't go wrong if you accept that a $500 pistol isn't going to inherently outshoot a $2500 (or a $1200) one.

If/when you outgrow the Ruger, it should be pretty easy to sell it on.

I can't speak to the current production - mine is from a couple years ago. But maybe there is a good supply of older used Rugers where you are. Heck, there might even be some hiding in the gunsafes of those hundreds of fw owners you saw that could be sold to a new owner...

-Mark
Old 10-14-2015, 10:06 AM
MidwesternMutt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good idea to ask owners of the more expensive guns if they have a Ruger Mark that they would sell you.