1885 bpcr - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-19-2013, 03:35 PM
americanstrat98
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2008
Location: 
Alabama
Posts: 
603
TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
1885 bpcr



Log in to see fewer ads
Earlier in the year i posted some photos of a receiver and a blank. I asked for some opinions and got a lot of great ones. Now I have finally collected all the parts, and I am now 1.5 weeks into the project.

This is what I know so far about the rifle in hand. It is a first series Highwall, made by winchester before 1900. It was originally a 32 or 35 calibre black powder, and it was supplied from the factory with the original trigger design, and mainspring design where it attached to the bottom of the barrel instead of the plunger design. The upper tang has no badge which proves it's early birth, and the only markings I can find on it, is a P to the left of the barrel on the face of the receiver, and the calibre's on the extractor. Thats it!

So here is what I've done to it to raise it to its former glory. The tang had to be cut, and a new one welded on due to the radical modifications done to it previously to make it a 219 D. Wasp. The breach block was converted back to BP Centerfire with the original firing pin design, then the breach block was milled square to fit the barrel tennon, and receiver races. Then the extractor was modified to fit the bigger 45 Sharps cartridge. The #3 profile barrel was chambered to 45-90 to use Lead Cast paper patch bullets, and the crown was cut at 90 degrees to mimic the original crowning techniques. I still haven't found a proper rear sight for the barrel, and the front sight is a Lyman for the time being till my Spirit Level Globe arrives. The rear sight is a Lee Shavers, but i'm having to modify the spring to allow the sight to tilt forward for long distance shooting. The Sight radius is exactly 34" when properly adjusted and the rifle as is weights 10.8 lbs. I still have to put a lead ingot in the buttstock to move the balance point closer to the receiver. The fore end is attached VIA a beveled bedding block that is attached to the barrel with two 10-32 screws. The eschutcheon was then fabricated and inletted into the fore end, then rounded to make the grip smooth and sturdy. Although the front stock looks as though it goes into the receiver, it touches the receiver in no way, to allow me to have a sort of free floating barrel. This is a Steven Dodd Hughes idea I implemented and It turned out very well. THe last finishing touch on the metal was timing the screws. All internal and external screws are timed to flow together with the lines of the rifle.

Final part of the fitting, is I am taking it out to shoot today and tomorrow to allow me to shave down the cheek piece till it is just right.

Here are some picks of the unfinished product.














Here it is with a little water on the stock to highlight the grain.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x