New Project!: Making A Brass 10/22 Receiver From Scratch - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:08 AM
CPC
RFC Sponsor
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

RFC Sponsor
Middletown CT, Earth, 1st door on the right
TPC Rating: 
96% (22)

Original Ruger 10/22 design should be looked at first... The original 10/22 was a dual bolt rail guide design - in all old serial numbers without a prefix thru prefix 110-xxxxx... Some prefix 111-xxxxx still keep the dual rail...
The rail is about .085" deep on the eject side and .045" deep on other just over the .485" width of the bolts top...
These rails are machined into the top inside to guide bolt... Newer receiver have only one guide rail which allows the bolt to skid sideways when extractor spring pressure is applied to the barrels extractor cut... Skews...
Problem back than was the Ruger bolts were machined cruder and heavier than modern bolts and a dual rail required tighter tolerances so bolt would fit and not bind... With one rail - machining tolerances could be opened up... Better suited to a mass produced $40 rifle...
If I was making a receiver I would return to the dual bolt guide idea so the bolt can only go back and forth straight with no side skew... I might even lapp it in, hehaa...
I see all the aftermarket receivers... They all copy the modern Ruger and don't seem to do anything for a accuracy increase... The key cutter operation just under the ejection port is crucial to bolt support... RAZOR seems to be the best in this area, tight without binding, just nice... Others 'keycut' too large and the bolt dangles downwards relying on the magazine to hold it up in the forward postion and the trigger group body to hold it up when in back position... Just slop...
The dual rail design does use a more aggressive ball mill cut to fit the bolts guide rod but ball mills are cheap... Looks like a common 1/4" dia long flute ball mill will do... Borrow a old 10/22 receiver with above serial numbers and see... I bought a receiver a few months ago here on RFC knowing with a 110 prefix it was the 'one'...

Last edited by CPC; 01-30-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:04 AM
ellocojorge

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Subscribe, can't wait for some pictures

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-30-2013, 02:19 AM
Lumpy Grits
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question

What alloy did you decide on?
LG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 10:34 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I really appreciate this valuable input! I had already realized the key cutter operation on the ejection port is going to be the most critical and maybe hardest to get right. I hope to make the tolerances as tight as possible and then open them up as needed for reliable operation.

Thanks again,

TBR

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 03-18-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Gordon Shumway

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPC View Post
I see all the aftermarket receivers... They all copy the modern Ruger and don't seem to do anything for a accuracy increase... The key cutter operation just under the ejection port is crucial to bolt support... RAZOR seems to be the best in this area, tight without binding, just nice... Others 'keycut' too large and the bolt dangles downwards relying on the magazine to hold it up in the forward postion and the trigger group body to hold it up when in back position... Just slop...
I think I just heard a collective gasp emanate from the RFC 10/22 section...
Old 01-30-2013, 06:12 PM
Gordon Shumway

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Isn't this thread going on in two different sections? Perhaps they should be combined by a mod.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:52 PM
azguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
You may be right about two places for this thread, BUT, this thread deserves to be in both places so no one misses it. Just MHO
Old 01-30-2013, 09:35 PM
rmemmott

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Brass receiver and a gloss blue hexagon bbl. would be sweet!!! count me in as well.

BTW, subscribed
Old 01-30-2013, 09:50 PM
Passinby

TPC Rating: 
99% (69)
Send a message via Yahoo to Passinby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
Isn't this thread going on in two different sections? Perhaps they should be combined by a mod.
Threads are now merged in the 10/22 Action Forum
Old 01-30-2013, 09:50 PM
Passinby

TPC Rating: 
99% (69)
Send a message via Yahoo to Passinby
Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
You may be right about two places for this thread, BUT, this thread deserves to be in both places so no one misses it. Just MHO
Different posts in each, so I've merged them.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:54 PM
shootnjunky

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Cant wait to see this progress
Old 01-31-2013, 11:19 PM
XxLT250RxX

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old 02-01-2013, 06:20 PM
JJW

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I've been watching one of these brass 10/22's going on over at weapons guild.

http://www.weaponsguild.com/forum/in...?topic=36243.0

Great project, definitely on my to do list when my skills improve enough.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:53 PM
lemonheadmech

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Please ignore this question if it doesn't apply or if I'm totally wrong in thinking this but isn't brass a copper alloy, and if so I take it that one would have to be very ginger when cleaning with a lot of the bore cleaners and what not?

Looking forward to seeing this done.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:30 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Yes, this alloy is about 63% copper, and I've thought the same thing, but I can't imagine ever using a copper solvent on a .22. That said, I actually checked the owner's manual for my brass-frame Henry Mare's Leg before I bought the material, and, interestingly, there is not a single word of warning about using copper solvents.

TBR