Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Onearm
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Reading the Wind

As mentioned in other posts on this thread and verified by actual wind drift tables, a small amount of wind can create a large drift that is magnified by the square of the increase in distance to the target.

For several years, I lived on a sailboat. We sailed constantly. My boat was cutter rigged, meaning I could run three sails at a time. In 5 mph wind, I put up a sail called a drifter that had more surface area than all other possible combinations of sail available to me combined. That was just to keep the boat moving.

4-6 mph in sailing is called a light breeze. As you can see from the attached chart, increasing the wind speed from 4-6 mph (light breeze) to 11-16 mph (moderate breeze) increases the force of the wind from .11 lbs/sq. inch to .71 lbs/sq inch. That same 'light breeze' will kick your butt, when shooting a 22 LR at 200 yards.

In the real world, it is pretty hard to estimate wind speed. In most locations winds gust constantly. Also, the wind speed and direction can change dramatically over, say 100 yards. This makes it pretty hard to stick your thumb into the wind and know what your are dealing with.

Go to any RBA or IR 50/50 match and look at the lines of wind flags competitors set up. You will see how different flags in the same line if sight will be facing different directions between the rifle and the target. Flags with spinners will show wind speeds and directions changing as the bullet heads down range.

The amazing thing is that excellent shooters are able to read all of this complex information and repeatedly place bullets within 1/8" of dead center at 50 yards. That is what you need to get a 250 score from a 25 bull target. Look at the scores from last year's competitions and you will see that you need to regularly score in the high 240s to have a chance of placing in even a local match. It can be pretty humbling to compare your own skills to those guys. They show it can be done but it takes a lot of experience (trigger time) to get good at reading the wind.

Did I mention the coriolis effect over distance...?
Old 04-19-2011, 11:05 AM
trutta

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
It hasn't been dropped. A heck of a lot of members over there that shoot 200 to 300 yards (and some 400 yards) have other shooting commitments, not to mention severe weather issues that's been raking the country for the last couple of weeks and continues to do so. It'll get done. SH .22 long range shooters are to good not to do it. So it'll happen when time permits.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:11 AM
trutta

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael396 View Post
Hitting a soda can at 250 is not difficult, hitting it on the first shot is. I think some of you will be surprised when you try it.
What will interest me is the basic statistics. Not first shot --could be luck either way --but how hits in how many attempts. After set-up is fine too. Once I know that, I'll have an inkling of what to expect.

Last edited by trutta; 04-20-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2011, 12:07 PM
lee4019
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well the good news is, I laser ranged my 250yd target yesterday and should be able to use my mil-dot scope. The bad news is, the entire target area is a fresh green, grassy hillside and walking in a shot is going to be tough. I need to figure something out or it's wasting ammo.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:04 PM
rem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
http://minuteofangle.blogspot.com/20...-part-two.html

here is part Two of long range rimfires there is a youtube video of a 340Yard shot on some soda cans
Old 04-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Joe M
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee4019 View Post
Well the good news is, I laser ranged my 250yd target yesterday and should be able to use my mil-dot scope. The bad news is, the entire target area is a fresh green, grassy hillside and walking in a shot is going to be tough. I need to figure something out or it's wasting ammo.
Just a quick bit of info.

From a 50 yard zero a person will need in the "neighborhood" of 89" (34 MOA) drop for 250 yards. This is based on a 40 grain bullett at 1085 fps, and based on where I live at 3700' elevation.

What I did when I started shooting long range was to set a white poster board target [22x28"] with an (+) in the middle as an aiming point, then make adjustments from that point with the scope to get zero's for 150, 200, 250 yards. The white poster board works great as a person can see their bullett holes much easier through their scope on the white back ground.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:41 AM
JohnnyParkCO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
4 " @ 200 yards

One of my buddies and I routinely shoot at 4 inch clay pigeons (biodegradable so we don't have to hump targets out) with my Ruger 10-22 and his CZ bolt gun. Both rifles are optically sighted and I've found that even the cheap ammo ought to hold to 4 inches at that distance.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:36 AM
lee4019

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

From a 50 yard zero a person will need in the "neighborhood" of 89" (34 MOA) drop for 250 yards. This is based on a 40 grain bullett at 1085 fps, and based on where I live at 3700' elevation.

Yep, that's close to what I got. Mine worked out to about 94" drop

What I did when I started shooting long range was to set a white poster board target [22x28"] with an (+) in the middle as an aiming point, then make adjustments from that point with the scope to get zero's for 150, 200, 250 yards. The white poster board works great as a person can see their bullett holes much easier through their scope on the white back ground.
Poster board is a good ideal. I was looking at scrap plywood I had. I was going to paint it white, but started thinking about lugging it up the hill, to the target area.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Bob4BVM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Can you actually crank in an 89" drop on the scope adjustment ??
Old 04-21-2011, 08:08 PM
lee4019

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4BVM View Post
Can you actually crank in an 89" drop on the scope adjustment ??
thats around 35 MOA, It would be easier with a 25 MOA scope base.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Joe M

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I installed an EGW 20 MOA scope base on my Savage MKII FVT when I first got it after removing the peep sights several years back, so there's plenty of adjustment.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Tomcat88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Last year I was obsessed about this stuff. I bought a MKII BTVS in .22lr. Bushnell Elite 3200 10x fixed with the target knobs. Realized right off the bat that you need to buy good subsonic target rounds. Got myself a swivel bipod so i could utilize my bubble level. Started out first shooting half inch dots at 50 in prone with whatever under the butt to make sure my form was perfect. Never really got into the math of things, just did alot of research and tinkering.

Anyhow long story short, by the end of the summer (sometimes going 3 times a week) I could shoot clays at 250 yards 9 times out of 10. Past that things got pretty inconsistent. At 275 and 300 the groups opened up to such a level that you couldn't really calculate where the impact was supposed to be. Seemed like 250m was the magical number as far as equipment limitation.

All this was done with no wind of course. The slightest breeze would knock it over like a nerf ball. Even went so far to make up some wind flags. They helped some.

Interesting however that the original question mentions "first shot hits". Cant speak from experience about cold bore tests. Although for anyone serious about hunting up to ...... 200m lets say, that would be worthwhile test.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:08 AM
noremf

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
200 Yard shooting-getting better

I started messing with 220 yard shooting with a .22lr a couple of months ago. Got some tips from guys like MKnarr and fired er up.

I am shooting an IHMSA .22lr ram swinger which is 10"Hx12"W at 200 meters. I am using this target cause I have two sets of swingers (1 chicken 1 pig 1 turkey and 1 ram at 5/8" armor plate and another complete set out of 1/4" steel plate), one, the armor plate, I keep at 100 and "this" one. I have my own range. Lots of centerfire experience at centerfire long range but not much at long range with a .22lr.

Annie, 8X32X scope set at 24X, good bench, all bags. I have used both Paco's Acu'Rzr with Rem Golden Bullets (EGADS!) sized to .223 with an "LBT" nose, which I can group consistantly at .51 at 100, if I am relaxed and take my time, and a few Eley's and Lapua's. Am up to 7 of 10 and I am getting better. A month ago I was 2 of 10 on the average.

Shoot better with 3D targets than 2D (paper) and the "Splashes" look to be around 6" or so. Still having a tad of trouble with horizontal stringing but much better than when I started screwing around with this. Kinda fun especially since I can use the bulk ammo. Got about 400 rounds or so shot now.

If I can get to 8-10 pretty consistantly I am gonna move the pig 8"Wx5'H out there and see what happens on it.

noremf(George)
Old 04-23-2011, 11:30 AM
lee4019

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKnarr View Post
So I would expect guys that have little or no long range experience with almost stock 10/22s should be able to hit 10 for 10 soda cans at 250 yards shooting off the hood of a car from their elbows and using Remington Bulk pack ammo. Or am I wrong?
The car is moving right?
Old 04-23-2011, 02:29 PM
noremf

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Great Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKnarr View Post
George, I shot one match in Albuquerque last year and broke a 20 year old record with a 38 x 40 hitting 9 of 10 rams at 200 meters. Here is the ram we shot at 200 meters. The scale is in inches and I traced a soda can over the body.

And now we have a guy shooting soda cans at 340 yards???? We must be darn poor shots.
I admire your shooting but I ain't you and the weapons I have ain't yours either for that matter but it gives me something to shoot for, pardon the pun. Ain't William Harper either.. I know him slightly but he don't count. That guy is an extraterrestrial!

Didn't even take shooting .22lr seriously until about 1 year ago. I HATE RFC!!! Completely different world altogether vs centerfire.

If you believe that 340 yard shot(s) which I know you don't but some do....I got a h$ll of a used car I will be willing to sell you. Personally I could do it with some of my centerfire rifles and handloads. I also saw a video with a guy hitting a 5"x5" square swinger with an ironsighted 452, 4 of 6 times at 200. I might buy that and to be honest on my Annie I can almost get the same groups at 100 with the Diopter Sights that I can with the scope. In fact I had to mount the scope to mess around shooting groups for the testing I did with it but that is the first time I bet in 3 years I had the scope on it.

noremf(George)

Last edited by noremf; 04-24-2011 at 08:44 AM.