Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:43 PM
rem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
long range rimfires

here is a article about long rang rimfires. How far can you shoot a 22lr accurately?

http://minuteofangle.blogspot.com/20...ith-style.html
Old 03-25-2011, 10:17 PM
lee4019
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Last part of the article says "When you are out with your buddies and you knock down a soda can at 250 yard on a windy day with a 22 you will have more style then any one person needs."

I wanna see that on You Tube. There's a guy on their hitting a 5.5" by 5.5" at 220yd with a annie and match ammo. Soda can is a 5"x 3", I think 1 round was dead on. Would make a good video.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:32 PM
Joe M
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've shot out to 275 yards at an 8x10 inch gong, and out to 250 yards at a 6x8 inch gong with pretty good consistency using subsonic ammo with my Savage MKII FVT with EGW 20 MOA Base and Tasco 6-24x42 Target Varmint Mil-Dot scope. I've also held 4 MOA with this same rifle from off the bench at 200 yards on an NRA A21 200 yard paper target - again using subsonic ammo.

I don't think 5x3 inches at 250 yards is out of line, but I do believe you have to have the equipment to do it, along with good weather conditions, and very good shooting mechanics,,, and don't expect to hit the 5x3 can every time.

Then again I've seen many a high dollar hunting rigs who's owners couldn't even group in a 5x3 inch target at 100 yards... Then again they aren't spending near the time with their hunting rifles that we spend with our long range .22 rigs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 06:41 AM
lee4019

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I saw a post or article about long distance shooting and subsonic ammo, But don't remember the reason it works so good. Anybody know the reason?
Old 03-26-2011, 08:09 AM
Joe M

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
High velocity ammo will transition to subsonic while in flight which creates bullet wobble that causes the bullet to stray off course.

Subsonic ammo starts out at subsonic speed and continues to the target without this transition which eliminates bullet wobble. Crazy thing is that subsonic ammo is also less effected by wind as well. Someone else will have to explain this wind thing as it's a bit over my head, but it is true.

The JBM calculator will give you subsonic transiton of high velocity ammo when it occures. Conditions of the day also plays a part as well as elevation.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:45 PM
rem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was out shooting my 10/22 last weekend and I put 4 out of 5 shots in a 1 inch group at 110 yards the 5th was about .75" right and low ( I think it was a bit slower since the wind was coming from the left) I think it is possible to hit a pop can on a calm day at 250 with a couple sighters.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:01 PM
dangerranger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Schoetzen matches keep records of 22lrs being shot at 200yds. another 50 yds wouldnt matter that much. DR
Old 03-26-2011, 02:01 PM
lizardtrack

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKnarr View Post
I'll give you a dollar for every pop can you hit at 250 yards if you will give me a dollar for everyone you miss.

I wonder why I never see these guys that can shoot extraordinary groups at long ranges at any of the matches I attend. I hold several records at three different ranges in long rang shooting, 100 yards and beyond, and I doubt that I could hit a soda can at 250 yards with enough regularity to brag about it.
I think this holds true for cars, women, golf and fighting.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Alecbh

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKnarr View Post
I'll give you a dollar for every pop can you hit at 250 yards if you will give me a dollar for everyone you miss.

I wonder why I never see these guys that can shoot extraordinary groups at long ranges at any of the matches I attend. I hold several records at three different ranges in long rang shooting, 100 yards and beyond, and I doubt that I could hit a soda can at 250 yards with enough regularity to brag about it.
I'd take that wager, honestly. I shot another RFC member's CZ 452 at 220 yds at clay pigeons on the berm, and once you broke the clay, you could hit those halfs, then the next halves, etc. It became a challenge to hit them when you were aiming at 1.5" bits only. Up until that point, it was a no challenge thing. With a good gun and good ammo, it's simple.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Alecbh

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm certainly not trying to claim any impossible feat, nor discount anything anyone has said. My statement about the 1.5" targets is probably me mis-remembering something as better than it was, but it was very easy to hit clays, and half clays, more often than not, with that rifle. The quarter clays were still fairly easy to hit, though. I assume we are talking about scoped rifles, yes? I tried to hit the clays with my iron sighted lever action, but I never did get one. This was all benchrested, and with scopes that seemed more like telescopes. Your scores are very impressive, by the way. I'm just relating what I recall from shooting at 200.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:54 PM
rem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think I am going to have to give it a shot and let you know if I can. I will try to get out tomorrow or it will have to wait until next weekend.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:47 PM
hoytcanon
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
[QUOTE=MKnarr;3394679]Every one believes that faster ammo will have less wind drift and that is true when you get above about 2100 fps. Below that it isn't true. The amount of wind drift is calculated from actual time in flight compared to time in flight in a vacuum. In speeds below the 2100 fps range and this is true of the 22LR, drag is so great that the faster you go, the more drag there is so a bullet at about 1050 fps spends about .007 seconds less in the wind than a bullet at 1250 fps. That difference allows the wind to act on the 1250 fps bullet .007 seconds longer and at 50 yards in a 10 MPH wind, the faster bullet will move about 3/8 of and inch further than the 1050 bullet./QUOTE]

ARE you aware that "fps" stands for "FEET PER SECOND???"
If bullet "A" starts at 1050 fps and bullet "B" starts at 1250 fps... and at 50 yards bullet A is at 1000 fps and B is at 1175 fps and then at 100 yards A is at 975 fps and B is at 1075 fps... how the heck do you calculate that bullet B is in the wind for a LONGER period of time??? That ain't possible partner! Regardless of friction... speed and distance are speed and distance... PERIOD.

Now if you want to discuss coeffients, cross sections and stability... there may be a case to be made... but your theory as presented is physically impossible.

Last edited by hoytcanon; 03-26-2011 at 06:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Blackshirts

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think you are confusing "knocking down a soda can" with "knocking down a soda can with every shot". I have only been shooting for 5 months now and can hit the 6" circle steel plate at 200 yards 7-8 out of 10 with a $15 2-7x20 scope after 2 or 3 sighter shots. I don't doubt anyone here could hit a soda can at 250 yards. Not every shot, but it only takes once to feel good about yourself.

It is like the full court shot. You can try 50 times, but if you make it before your buddy does you are king and he stinks.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Joe M

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecbh View Post
I'd take that wager, honestly. I shot another RFC member's CZ 452 at 220 yds at clay pigeons on the berm, and once you broke the clay, you could hit those halfs, then the next halves, etc. It became a challenge to hit them when you were aiming at 1.5" bits only. Up until that point, it was a no challenge thing. With a good gun and good ammo, it's simple.
I would also. I agree with Alecbh, it's certainly doable and there is no doubt about that. Time to drag out the 3x5 gong and set it up at 250 yards.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:04 PM
lee4019

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the answers on the velocity and wind. Now I know why I can't hit spit out that far.