Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:00 PM
CraigC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

We must also not forget that short barrel loadings will not necessarily mean different powders, but bullets designed to expand at lesser velocities. That new short barrel .22Mag load does not appear to run any faster, probably just a new bullet designed to expand at reduced velocities.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:16 PM
noshow
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
It's not about faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
We must also not forget that short barrel loadings will not necessarily mean different powders, but bullets designed to expand at lesser velocities. That new short barrel .22Mag load does not appear to run any faster, probably just a new bullet designed to expand at reduced velocities.
It is not just a new bullet. The Hornady loading uses a different powder. As per their website:

Powder
Optimized for short-barreled firearms, the 22 WMR features clean burning propellants with low flash and blast to help protect night vision.

We are not talking about velocity here. The subject is appropriate WMR rounds for use in the Ruger Single Six and other revolvers. By Hornady's above description, we can only assume use of a faster burning propellant in a reduced amount to reduce flash and blast.

Last edited by noshow; 01-17-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:34 PM
CraigC

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
No, it just means they're using a low flash powder. They've never used flash suppressant powders in the .22Mag and that's rather obvious in shooting it. Like I said, this ain't rocket science, we're not cutting new trails here, slow burning powders yield the highest velocities, regardless of barrel length. This has been proven time and time again.

IMHO, reduced flash is not germane to the discussion, as it is not relevant in a sporting gun like the Single Six.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 04:46 PM
noshow

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
No, it just means they're using a low flash powder. They've never used flash suppressant powders in the .22Mag and that's rather obvious in shooting it. Like I said, this ain't rocket science, we're not cutting new trails here, slow burning powders yield the highest velocities, regardless of barrel length. This has been proven time and time again.

IMHO, reduced flash is not germane to the discussion, as it is not relevant in a sporting gun like the Single Six.
LIKE I SAID, were not talking about highest velocities. Why are you so argumentive and contradictory? You have refuted just about everything anyone has posted here. We don't know for sure what powders will be used in either of these new rounds, yet you begin this post with the word NO! You also began another post with the word NONESENSE! Your demeaning tone has been difficult to digest.This has been an informative and interesting thread without your insulting corrections and narrow minded opinions. Many of us find that reduced flash and blast is germane to a discussion about the use of a rifle cartridge in a revolver, but you are entitled to your opinion on that. Please refrain from any more obnoxious intrusions to this once civil chat.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Lefty Dude
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshow View Post
LIKE I SAID, were not talking about highest velocities. Why are you so argumentive and contradictory? You have refuted just about everything anyone has posted here. We don't know for sure what powders will be used in either of these new rounds, yet you begin this post with the word NO! You also began another post with the word NONESENSE! Your demeaning tone has been difficult to digest.This has been an informative and interesting thread without your insulting corrections and narrow minded opinions. Many of us find that reduced flash and blast is germane to a discussion about the use of a rifle cartridge in a revolver, but you are entitled to your opinion on that. Please refrain from any more obnoxious intrusions to this once civil chat.

And you are Moderator, Who ?
Old 01-17-2011, 06:31 PM
noshow

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Dude View Post
And you are Moderator, Who ?
I am sorry if my rant offended you. I apologize to you and all who feel that way
Old 01-17-2011, 06:37 PM
CraigC

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Because this thread is full of regurgitated myth and untrue nonsense. Quite often folks repeat something to the effect of "the .22Mag is a rifle cartridge and loses too much velocity in a handgun". It's stated as if it were loaded with very slow burning rifle powder. It's simply not true but myth based on uneducated opinion and speculation. This is directly related to the burn rate of the powder, nothing to do with flash. My statements have been made as fact, not intended as insult. If you have an issue with being corrected, then that is your problem. I have an issue with uneducated opinion being passed off as fact.

You're not talking about velocities but you appear to be the only one. Muzzle flash is irrelevant. If you want "less flash and muzzle blast", use a .22LR.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:35 AM
glee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshow View Post
I am sorry if my rant offended you. I apologize to you and all who feel that way
Noshow, just walk away, I did.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:45 AM
jpruger76

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Has anyone tried recent CCI Win Mag 40 gr Hollowpoints in their SS's. I bought some @ Wally World a month ago fired it in both of my SS's and ejector rod locked up from all the "yellow" residue that was left from firing. Is this yellow matter unburnt powder?

Thanks!

Last edited by jpruger76; 01-19-2011 at 02:17 PM.