Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:55 PM
white house
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
7 Shots from Colt Huntsman "1 of 400"

Eight Shots. I miscounted here. The ammo from Eley Remington made me eject again manually for not chambering properly. The above is an Eight Shot group out of 10 shots. The other two shots were gauged from the blowback not fully blown back to engage the rear part of the cartridges. My feeling is just put a high velocity round in the magazine and the action will feed reliably. I will do this next time. I feel the HVs in this pistol will print just as tight.

These were done at 50 feet using the isosceles two hand hold without support. The magazine holds ten but the ammo, Eley Rifle Target, is a bit underpowered at times to feed all ten.

Point is the group is competitive with my SW 41 which shoots the Eley Remington Rifle Target without a hiccup.

I am thinking of trying some higher powered .22s like CCI Maxi Mags to get the Huntsman to blow back all the way to scoop up the rounds in the magazine.

The other point is this Huntsman is much lighter than a 41 as well as smaller.

Well, you could add it has no MIM or CNC parts as well.

I will continue my tests on the range with both my 41 and Colt Huntsman. Here's pics of both and the SW Target:

Yes those are Colt Elliason Sights. The are sharp!

Last edited by white house; 03-01-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:03 PM
gunlover27
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
you sure it wasnt 8 shots looks like 8 holes to me.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:08 PM
white house

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover27 View Post
you sure it wasnt 8 shots looks like 8 holes to me.
Yes. It was eight. Two shots had to be manually ejected because the bolt didn't go back far enough to chamber them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 06:23 PM
gunlover27

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
thought so those pics are kinda small so its hard to tell.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:26 PM
white house

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/1817/p2260682.jpg

Is this image better?
Old 03-01-2010, 06:29 PM
gunlover27

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Awesome thanks
Old 03-01-2010, 06:31 PM
gunlover27

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
just yanking your chain. Nice guns by the way.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:31 PM
white house

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover27 View Post
just yanking your chain. Nice guns by the way.
I've never used HV in my 41 because it is a target or match pistol that works with target or match ammunition.

Now I have this Colt which is made to shoot HV or SV since introduction as we ALL know!

Whether Colt Woodsman or Huntsman or Challenger the Colts were made to function in HV unlike the 41. The 41 is a match pistol designed for match ammunition.

Okay. You have no idea what is on my mind now. This lightweight Luger style COLT with a barrel almost HALF as long as my 41 and with Elliason Sights (clear clear sharp sharp picture) and LIGHT CRISP TRIGGER PULL is printing groups at 50 feet OFFHAND Isosceles two hand position with hiccups on the match velocity ammo clearly related to a problem regarding the blow back to recoil ALL THE WAY to the rear.

So, if I use Federal HV Hollow Points or any HV I wonder what the groups will look like compared to this.

My first problem is FUNCTION. If it FUNCTIONS all the time with HV then the problem might be accuracy. But I am thinking accuracy will not suffer because HV and SV can win over the other in certain handguns no matter what.

I have to go back to the range with HVs now!

Last edited by white house; 03-01-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:46 PM
gunlover27

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
try the federal gold medal #719. Its listed at 1200fps
Old 03-22-2010, 10:19 PM
Zip7

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have 9 colt autos, including 2 MT's. I have shot several of mine a good bit, and one I shoot all the time, and even carry it hunting.

I have not done any formal testing, but out of the four I have shot the most, those being: a 3rd MT 6", a 3rd MT 4.5", a 2nd target 6" and a 3rd 4" Sport, I am definitely better with the 3rd series 4" sport. This is the one I carry and use the most as well.

It has a better trigger than the others, MUCH better than one of the MT's and that may be the difference.

I have not had issues with failing to blow back all the way except with CB's. I normally shoot federal bulk or CCI mini mags in all my colts, because some of them will FTF with other cheap ammo, notably remington. My favorite - the sport - will fail to feed sometimes just after a cleaning. It seems to run best a little dirty with some slide glide on the rails. After a couple of magazines it feeds and fires just fine as long as I keep feeding it federals or mini mags. This little gun has knocked out hundreds of coon while coon hunting, and I have made some pretty amazing shots with it. We shoot at pop bottles at 50 and 100 yards a lot too. At long ranges, I am much better with my sport than any of the others.

When dry, some of mine won't lock up all the way after a shot, and I have to push the slide closed. Slide glide fixes this.