Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:12 PM
TJMortensen
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
527 Carine in 7.62x39?

Anyone have one of these? Been doing quite a bit of reading and really like what I see! Just wondering what groove diameter they are cut to, .308" or the AK .311"? Like the price of 7.62 right now, about the same price as HMR, but anyone have any issues with it? Kinda looking at it as just a screw-around gun, cheap to shoot, and fairly accurate in a compact package.

Anyone know where I can find one without the set trigger in it? Would love to find one used if I could, but it doesn't seem like too many people are willing to sell them...

Thanks ahead of time guys!
Old 02-22-2010, 01:42 PM
nevadany

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I have been looking at getting one of these too...however, today it found a rival...

As far as the set trigger goes, you don't have to use it (you won't even realize it's there). Or if you don't want the option at all, it can be adjusted out.

My problem right now with the 527 Carbine in 7.62x39 is that i was just quoted today, a price of $700...ouch...

That is an expensive knock around/cheap round plinker rifle! I was going to use it as an intermediate deer rifle/plinking rifle, but at that price i am reconsidering.

What caught my eye, and is giving the CZ a run for the money is the reintroduced Ruger 77/44. Similar package, but in 44mag. Problem is that they seem to be very hard to find, and while i like the 527 action better, i like the 44 mag better than the 7.62x39. Plus, I plan on getting a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley hunter (.44mag) in the near future and they would play together nice.

I was also quoted $75 less for Ruger than the CZ.

DW
Old 02-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Stove Iron

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadany View Post

I was also quoted $75 less for Ruger than the CZ.

DW
Turn them both down and get an SKS....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2010, 04:02 PM
OldSwede

TPC Rating: 
100% (95)
Neat thing about an SKS is that you won't need a scope. That is, you won't need one unless you want to be totally frustrated....
Old 02-22-2010, 04:03 PM
TJMortensen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had forgotten that Ruger had started building the 77/44's again! I reload so this might be the best way for me.....

Sucks the 527's have gotten so expensive, they seem super comfortable to me, but in the past year they have gone up around $150, cheapest I found was $665, just can't afford that right now.

Might just end up being a crime of opportunity, thanks for the help guys!
Old 02-22-2010, 04:10 PM
OldSwede

TPC Rating: 
100% (95)
Yeah, the "problem" with the 527 Carbine is that it is in fact a CZ 527, with all the good things that come with it. Great action, set trigger, good barrel, nice wood, set trigger, etc.

Same kind of "problem" the Scout has - the Scout, rather than being a child's gun, is simply a small 452.

They just don't fit into the "cheap gun" niche any more - I guess, because they aren't. All that said, a 527 Carbine in 7.62 X 39 is still on my "buy" list for this year. It will just be a couple months later in the year. Already got the scope for it.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:07 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Wonder if its dawned on many here that the reason CZ's are getting so expensive is that the dollar is getting so worthless? Word is Anschutz is about to spring a 40% increase, same reason.....you can thank Congress for that.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Several years ago I shot with two gentlemen in their 70's. They had every 527 made all with great optics. New model came out they were right there. I had just gotten my 527 .22 Hornet American in it's maple stock so we talked a bunch about 527s.

Of all their rifles the only ones they were not happy with were the 7.62 X 39 chambered carbines. Both men were knowledgeable hand loaders as well. Neither gent could get their carbines in this caliber to shoot well. This went on all summer and then I changed ranges so I do not know if they ever figured those guns out. I know it was the only 527 they did not like and they had TWO piles of them. Never made any sense to me either.

I asked them about bore diameter but I forget what they said. I do know they tried a number of bullets in them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 02-22-2010, 07:05 PM
nevadany

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSwede View Post
Yeah, the "problem" with the 527 Carbine is that it is in fact a CZ 527, with all the good things that come with it. Great action, set trigger, good barrel, nice wood, set trigger, etc.

Same kind of "problem" the Scout has - the Scout, rather than being a child's gun, is simply a small 452.

They just don't fit into the "cheap gun" niche any more - I guess, because they aren't. All that said, a 527 Carbine in 7.62 X 39 is still on my "buy" list for this year. It will just be a couple months later in the year. Already got the scope for it.
Regardless of how you view CZ, that is a lot of money, and cause for me to do my due diligence on my next purchase.

...and yes we can all thank congress for that.

I am familiar with most of CZ's general line, the 452, the 527, the 550, the 75/85...i own all but the 527 that i sold a few years back. Never considered CZ "cheap"...a good value, yes. Even at the $700 i was quoted, i could still buy it, but it's just outside my threashhold of a comfortable purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stove Iron View Post
Turn them both down and get an SKS....
um, no thanks. been there, done that.

DW
Old 02-23-2010, 05:59 PM
AggieCZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought the 527 in 7.62 for my son...then 8....and he took his first deer with it....VERY nic rifle....scoped it with a Nikon Prostaff, and at 100 yds it stays well within 1 - 1 1/2 inches. He has since changed guns and I have it back, so next year I'll get to use it some...
Old 02-24-2010, 02:29 AM
TJMortensen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Huh......I was hoping that you could re-load some accuracy loads for when I really wanted to touch something, but has anyone done any reloading personally for the 7.62?

Just like the idea of a compact, easy to throw around, mid-caliber gun that I could AFFORD to shoot!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:51 AM
Hornet 6

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via AIM to Hornet 6 Send a message via Skype™ to Hornet 6
I just wish CZ did the Carbine in .22 Hornet

Neil.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:48 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
I wish they chambered one in .250 Savage, that would be a schweet deer carbine!
Old 02-24-2010, 07:55 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
The SKS is actually a well built firearm if you get the good Russian built ones. They are getting harder to find.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:22 AM
nevadany

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
The SKS is actually a well built firearm if you get the good Russian built ones. They are getting harder to find.
Yes they are...i remember a few years ago when you could get Yugo 59-66's for about $100 on sale from CDNN....can't find anywhere close to that deal now

Russian SKS's are nice, but personally I think the Yugo SKS's are the best built of them all...but i'm not a big fan of the more common 59/66 with the grenade launcher. My dad has a Norinco, it's actually pretty decent too.

as far as SKS aestetics go, i think the Albanian SKS has it in spades...don't own one though.

Anyway....

TJMortensen, i started a thread in the centerfire section the other day, that you might be interested in, asking for experienced opinions on the 77/44...
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=327505

Not bad!

DW

Last edited by nevadany; 02-24-2010 at 08:28 AM.