Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Nimakill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remington Model 511 Scoremaster Info

My father just recently gave me his father's old Rem Model 511 with no sights or bolt. I just received the bolt and a Weaver N2 mount and B4 scope. Just looking for any and all information I can get regarding the rifle and scope.

Thanks,
Nimakill

(P.S. Forgot to mention that for some reason it does not have a date code at all, but two tiny little markings on the right side of the barrel about 2-3 inches up from the receiver, just wondering if this is rare or some other meaning.)

Last edited by Nimakill; 06-21-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:33 PM
dustoffer
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Clean it up good--with mineral spirits and a Big 45 scrub pad and I'd bet you find the date code under the accumulated crud most old rifles carry. To be sure (and maybe you already know where it is), it is on the barrel, left side, just in front of the receiver, just above the stock line--should be 2 ro 3 alpha characters, such as AB or AXX, etc.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:05 PM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
From a pre-war 510P:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Nimakill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah I have scrubbed it clean with steel wool and then rubbed it down with Rem Oil, but even my friend (Granted he's more into mosins than .22s) couldn't find anything. The only "markings" it has are on the right and one looks like a tiny version of ^-^ kind of or more like but is less than 1/4". That is the only marking I can find at all on the rifle. |
When I get home from work I'll try and post the pics of the "markings".

Thanks,
Nimakill

PS. it looks like this kind of
>
|
>

Last edited by Nimakill; 06-21-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:27 AM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Does it have a serial number on the bottom of the barrel just ahead of the stock? If so it is an early rifle.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:53 AM
trueg50

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is a reason there isn't much on these rifles, they are beautiful, and work great, so no one wants to sell theirs, and there isn't much to tinker with on these rifles.

If you are looking for magazines, Brownells sells the 6 round reproduction magazines for $11. I bought 3, and they are made in the USA, and are identical to the original factory magazine I have, minus the "Remington" stamp on the bottom.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Nimakill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have searched over the entire weapon (even removed the barrel/receiver/trigger assembly from the stock) and can find no other markings on the weapon other than the one mentioned before. there is a small marking on the barrel groove of the stock near the receiver area that looks like an "M" or a "W" from what I can tell but that is it. One other thing that has me wondering is, every 511 (x,p,sb,a, etc) I see pics of, the manufacturer stamp on the barrel looks like

With the name printed with the ends of Scoremaster flared on both sides and "the" printed in center top of the name.
(If no image then it is at http://www.lowescertifiedguns.com/gl...658used-1.aspx)

Mine on the other hand is more simply printed as "Remington Scoremaster 511"
with patent numbers all below it and the address to the left (muzzle side) of the stamp.

The only thing I can figure at this point is that maybe my rifle is either really early (like one of first), or some one re-barreled it at some point.

Thanks again for all the feedback and help everyone has been giving me on here

Nimakill
Old 06-22-2012, 09:22 PM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimakill View Post
One other thing that has me wondering is, every 511 (x,p,sb,a, etc) I see pics of, the manufacturer stamp on the barrel looks like

With the name printed with the ends of Scoremaster flared on both sides and "the" printed in center top of the name.
(If no image then it is at http://www.lowescertifiedguns.com/gl...658used-1.aspx)

Mine on the other hand is more simply printed as "Remington Scoremaster 511"
with patent numbers all below it and the address to the left (muzzle side) of the stamp.

The only thing I can figure at this point is that maybe my rifle is either really early (like one of first), or some one re-barreled it at some point.

Thanks again for all the feedback and help everyone has been giving me on here

Nimakill
fixed yer pic
Old 06-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Nimakill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
fixed yer pic
Thanks, my comp wouldn't let me haha

Nimakill
Old 06-22-2012, 10:28 PM
LRJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nimakill is your rifle grooved for a scope like this one on Gunbroker that is stamped like you describe. I not sure about the 511 but I think the 550-1 was not grooved untill 1957

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=292765452

Hope this might help

Ray
Old 06-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Nimakill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRJ View Post
Nimakill is your rifle grooved for a scope like this one on Gunbroker that is stamped like you describe. I not sure about the 511 but I think the 550-1 was not grooved untill 1957

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=292765452

Hope this might help

Ray

Yeah, that's the way the barrel is stamped on mine. But it's not a grooved receiver, just flat/smooth.

Thanks for the pic, I had trouble finding one like that.

Nimakill
Old 06-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Nimakill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm taking it out shooting tomorrow (Sunday, 23) to sight in the scope and put it through some what of a torture test and take pics and video of it. I should be able to post the pics on here as soon as I get home from that. This way everyone can see the "unmarked barrel" I have and not trying to guess at what is going on with it based on my own somewhat rough and unrefined descriptions.

Thanks all,

Nimakill
Old 06-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Texas Blues

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Waiting to see how this story ends.......got those pics yet? Thanks TB
Old 07-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Nimakill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I do have the pics, but I need to get them on the comp... and the card reader is acting up. Should be fixing soon (hopefully tonight) *fingers crossed*
Old 10-23-2019, 09:58 PM
santacruzpaul

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Red dot mount, no groove barrel,

Well it's time to revive this thread after 7 years and 3 months,
Was given a 60 something years old 511 scoremaster, no tip off grooves, But has the factory drilled and tapped holes for the rear sight, And after removing the rear sight, I have a dovetail under it. Any help for older eyes here? I have a couple ultra dots sitting around doing nothing. I have Marbles ghost sights on my Savage 24C, But Marbles ghost sight might not work, Since it already shoots high with elevator removed, And rear sight touching barrel. I don't want to fuss around with the beaded front sight.
Thanks, Paul
PS, Have the factory 6 round clip/magazine with it, Ordered a 10 rounder Weiser from Brownell, And a factory used 6 rounder from Ebay,
Another P.S.. Remington marketed their clips/mags as CLIPS, It is written on their factory packaging, An older guy than me pointed this out to me at the range, He called them clips, I corrected him, He then educated me, and corrected me. Lesson learned, OLDER Guys Rule,