Idea For My New Long Range Target - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Joe M
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Idea For My New Long Range Target

I've been thinking the last couple of days of how to go about and what to use for my Long Range Target so I don't have to venture down Range regularly to see where and if I'm hitting anything at 100, 125, 150, 175, & 200 yards. I know my 15x45 Bushnell Spotting Scope (that's 30 years old) isn't going to work for .22 holes... So...

I have some 1/4" thick metal in various shapes and sizes (square and round) and I'm going to take a 32" x 32" piece of plywood, cut out a center hole that is 1" smaller then the metal I'll hang behind it from two chains off of a 2x4 (that will give me a 1.5" space between the wood and metal), and shoot at this hoping to here the report of the bullet striking the metal. I might even hang a large bolt off a chain behind the metal to act as a "clanger" if I hit the metal?

I'll make several different sizes for the different ranges at which they'll set and we'll see what happens. I'm not really shooting for group as much as shooting for fun of hitting the target(s) metal somewhere.

My son and a co-worker will be shooting with me, so we'll still set up the 15x45Bushnell Spotting Scope so we can watch and listen for a metal hit. We'll play it by "ear" so to speak for now, just to see how it goes? We'll also wait for better weather. It's been in the single didgets for the last several days and there's no real warm up in sight for a'while...

I'm also thinking we'll be able to hear the bullet hit wood when we miss the metal. I do have 8x10, 10x12, 14x16, 16x16, 16x18, 1/4" metal and also one
20" diameter 1/4" metal circle.

This past Fall we were shooting at the 1/2" thick NRA Silhouettes (chicken, pig, turkey, & ram) that were hanging out at our local range, but we just couldn't always be sure we were hitting those with such thick heavy metal. The yardage on these are, 50, 100, 150, & 200 yards.

Any target thoughts?
Old 12-16-2008, 06:03 PM
[email protected]
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
the shoot n see targets are a lot easier to deal with. for long range plinking the groundhog one is large enough.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:12 PM
gkn

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Metal swingers are a lot of fun. I found a piece of broken spring shackle from a semi trailer on the road just outside a trucking firm. I cut it to shape (lots of work, as it is extremely hard dense steel), but geez, does it ring like a bell! And the price is right. A pair of Peltor style or similar electronic earmuffs helps with the hearing.
gkn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2008, 02:15 AM
USA Varminter

Chicago, IL. Iowa City, IA. Traverse City, MI
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to USA Varminter
Metal hinges with a plate set to fall over when struck work great.

Rig a string to a bar to reset several at once, might take some tugging to get the slack out, but that is quick/painless, and works great.

Otherwise you find yourself trying to see closed holes, Otherwise those shootnsee targets work alright, and good cardstock cuts pretty cleanly with some firearms.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:34 AM
Joe M

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good idea's, thanks!
Old 12-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Jerry3567

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You might consider painting your metal with a cheap can of very bright yellow paint or something of that nature. As the bullet hits, the paint will be removed leaving a dull mark on a bright surface, kind of a cheaper "inverse" shoot 'n see target. I've shot my centerfires out to 400 yds and can see them pretty well with that setup shooting at a "gong" style target using a 14x scope.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Joe M

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry3567 View Post
You might consider painting your metal with a cheap can of very bright yellow paint or something of that nature. As the bullet hits, the paint will be removed leaving a dull mark on a bright surface, kind of a cheaper "inverse" shoot 'n see target. I've shot my centerfires out to 400 yds and can see them pretty well with that setup shooting at a "gong" style target using a 14x scope.
That's a good idea Jerry. I will do that. The metal is already naturally black so the use of yellow paint makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Jerry3567

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anytime Joe! Just be sure to use high contrast bright colors! I prefer the "farm implement yellow" color. The best thing is, when youre target is all shot up...just paint it again! Be careful what you shoot it with though, my 69gr Matchkings in centerfire blow through anything 3/8" or less any closer than 300yds. Havent tried it further out yet with them, but you'd be fine at about any range with the .22lr.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:37 PM
D Rock

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Someone on the board mentioned that old circular saw blades ring nice when hit.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:33 PM
USA Varminter

Chicago, IL. Iowa City, IA. Traverse City, MI
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to USA Varminter
What about some variety of video camera mounted in front of the target and low, with sand bags around it. Then a cheap tv and watch your targets up close.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Joe M

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
Someone on the board mentioned that old circular saw blades ring nice when hit.
I do have quite a few old blades that I could paint yellow as well and hang them in front of the painted yellow metal and that should give a good report if the blade was hit then it hit the metal. There's some good idea's a flowing here!
Old 12-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Joe M

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Varminter View Post
What about some variety of video camera mounted in front of the target and low, with sand bags around it. Then a cheap tv and watch your targets up close.
I actually have an old camcorder that we never use anymore. If I remember right it had a good zoom on it. I remember when we were at Mt. Rushmore years ago, I could zoom it right in on those faces, and that was before they had the new good access trail to get up to see them.

I'll have to take it along when I get things set up and see what we can do with the thing. Another good idea!