Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Rembrandt
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

banned for advocating animal cruelty
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Next step was to build an adjustable "Piano" style stool that has height adjustment.

Piano style stool uses an 18" disc blade for stability. Piece of black pipe is welded to the base and a notch is cut partially through the pipe about 6" down....this will be used to locate and secure nuts inside the pedestal.

One nut is welded to the base of the All Thread to act as a stop, then a second nut is welded to a washer, but allowed to spin freely on the threaded shaft.

This is then inserted into the pedestal where the washer then lines up with the previously cut slot...then welded.

Top of pedestal is then capped and a mounting plate is installed for the wooden seat. Threaded shaft allows 6-8" of height adjustment.

Finished seat assembly.

Here's pics of some built for our club's outdoor range 12 years ago...heavy duty, weather well, and can be moved out of the way for other shooting disciplines. Smallest kid or biggest adult can use them.

Last edited by Rembrandt; 08-28-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:20 PM
bucks11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice build Rembrandt.....I like the design of the stool...might have to try my hand at one sometime....Right now I'm using a folding hunter's chair I picked up from K-Mart for $10....it works, but you have to dig a hole for adjustments
Old 08-29-2008, 11:52 PM
T191032

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
pipestone,

Nice build! "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!"

how many of us can say we shoot off the grill? LOL

Last edited by T191032; 08-29-2008 at 11:52 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008, 10:30 PM
worriedman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Excellent design and implementation Rembrandt!
Old 10-10-2008, 10:38 PM
JBLee
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Last year I aquired a large quantity of redwood in 2X6X12 from a demolition project and took it out to the range hoping to build a shooting bench out of it. Finally found the time last weekend and here it is..it's "The Cadillac of shooting benches", strong, stable, and big. Now I can look forward to shooting in style and comfort....now, where should I mount the radio?

Old 10-14-2008, 12:44 AM
4D5
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Portable shooting bench

I made it mostly for when I go out to BLM and want to shoot from a bench. Itís not as ridged as a permanent bench but will be nice to use four occasional shooting trips when I donít want to go to the range. Iíll probably use it mostly for rimfire but I figure it can be used for most centerfire.

Itís 36Ē wide and 40Ē long, made from KD Douglas Fir 2X4ís edge glued. All the edges on everything are rounded over. The legs are 2X4ís as well. I used 3/8Ē carriage bolts with 3/8Ē malleable iron washers to attach the legs to the table. This setup allows the legs to be adjusted for height and allows the legs to be folded flat to the table for storage. The rear leg can be put on left or right side rear bracket to give more room for left/right hand shooters. The top is routered so that the carpet is just proud of the top of the table and eliminate raw carpet edges.

I picked up the carpet for $8 and had a gallon of almost white paint from another project that I got tined at not cost. I figure Iíve got less than $30 in the whole project.

Here's some pic's...

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...nch/Bench1.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...nch/Bench2.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...nch/Bench3.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...nch/Bench5.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...nch/Bench6.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...nch/Bench7.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...nch/Bench8.jpg
Old 10-14-2008, 12:55 AM
All4fun

TPC Rating: 
100% (71)
Haven't seen this thread in a while. Some nice work posted recently!

4D5, Do you "set" the legs in position by cranking down on the carriage bolts? Or are there stops built into the legs to set them in a given position when extended? TIA.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:57 AM
4D5
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No preset stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4fun View Post
Haven't seen this thread in a while. Some nice work posted recently!

4D5, Do you "set" the legs in position by cranking down on the carriage bolts? Or are there stops built into the legs to set them in a given position when extended? TIA.
There are no preset stops. Just angle the legs as desired and tighten down the nut. With the paint between the two pieces of wood there is no movement and sometimes I have to actually have to break the connection between the two pieces after losening the nut before folding the legs. There's a lot of clamping power with the large iron washer.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:50 PM
dubbleA

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Here's a semi portable bench I recently made. The top is 3/8" plate and the legs are 2 1/2" square tubing and weighs a little over 300 lbs and is pretty ridgid. The seat is hinged and swingsin and out and adjustable for height to fit different size shooters.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:28 AM
RimfireAU

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
heres some more pictures of my bench

http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=P1000354.jpg
Old 11-10-2008, 10:47 AM
jamesl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shoting bench

I use an ironing board for a bench rest to teach my students sight alignment and trigger contol to deliver the shot.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:50 AM
worriedman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4D5 View Post
I made it mostly for when I go out to BLM and want to shoot from a bench. Itís not as ridged as a permanent bench but will be nice to use four occasional shooting trips when I donít want to go to the range. Iíll probably use it mostly for rimfire but I figure it can be used for most centerfire.

Itís 36Ē wide and 40Ē long, made from KD Douglas Fir 2X4ís edge glued. All the edges on everything are rounded over. The legs are 2X4ís as well. I used 3/8Ē carriage bolts with 3/8Ē malleable iron washers to attach the legs to the table. This setup allows the legs to be adjusted for height and allows the legs to be folded flat to the table for storage. The rear leg can be put on left or right side rear bracket to give more room for left/right hand shooters. The top is routered so that the carpet is just proud of the top of the table and eliminate raw carpet edges.

I picked up the carpet for $8 and had a gallon of almost white paint from another project that I got tined at not cost. I figure Iíve got less than $30 in the whole project.
VERY nice, well done!
Old 11-21-2008, 10:22 PM
chavist93

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to chavist93 Send a message via Yahoo to chavist93
Here is mine. Pardon my silly contraption of a rest. I now have a shiny new Cowan rest.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:46 PM
max it

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4fun View Post
Good idea for a thread. The details on my bench are posted here:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=226919

Here is bjkearns shooting his CZ Varmint on the bench at Orosco Ridge in the Cleveland National Forest:

HI, Can I shoot in the Cleveland National Forest? Is that the one between OC and S.Diego counties? From your address, I am guessing it isnt. Why do they name everything the same: HOw about 'Santiago' or 'Temecula' - there are way too many of those around here. Someone says to me 'you know, by Temecula..' and he doesnt mean the one down the 15 but rather up Simi Valley way. I digress. What about legal shooting in the National Forest and where is it? We are going up to Reagan's ranch tomorrow, should I bring some shooting irons?

much obliged,

Max It
Old 12-31-2008, 05:34 PM
All4fun

TPC Rating: 
100% (71)
Quote:
Originally Posted by max it View Post
HI, Can I shoot in the Cleveland National Forest? Is that the one between OC and S.Diego counties? From your address, I am guessing it isnt. Why do they name everything the same: HOw about 'Santiago' or 'Temecula' - there are way too many of those around here. Someone says to me 'you know, by Temecula..' and he doesnt mean the one down the 15 but rather up Simi Valley way. I digress. What about legal shooting in the National Forest and where is it? We are going up to Reagan's ranch tomorrow, should I bring some shooting irons?

much obliged,

Max It
Hi Max It,

Joseph (bjkearns) and I shoot at a designated shooting area in the Cleveland National Forest called Orosco Ridge. It is just north of Ramona, CA. You can actually do a Google Map of Orosco Ridge and it will show you where it is. Now, if you want to shoot in other national forests or other parts of the Cleveland National Forest then it would be best to get hold of the ranger station to find out what's OK. There is also BLM land (Bureau of Land Management) where shooting is allowed, and other BLM land where it is not allowed. Joseph regularly shoots up in the Stoddard Valley BLM land, but again you have to be careful because there are parts of Stoddard Valley that are reserved for off-road vehicles and shooting is not allowed (or wise) in those parts.

Hope this helps some.