Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:05 AM
M60A1Rise
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Winged Slide ?

Hello all pretty new here. I have a question regarding the winged slides and where I could find one. Purchased a brand new Camper base model and I have to be honest that thing is hard on the thumbs lol. I'm a little old but not yet frail but it feels like i've been using my thumb/finger as a screw driver. I saw the Halo but it won't fit my newer model and i've looked all around the internet and no parts seem to be available to have something added. Any help is appreciated , thanks.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:19 PM
rdas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not sure where to get wings for the slide, but it shouldn't be THAT hard to rack the slide on a Buckmark. On one of ours, it was fairly tight when new, but loosened up significantly after the first couple hundred rounds.

Also make sure that you're putting some oil / lube on the places where the slide is rubbing against the frame and sight rail. That should make it easier to rack by hand, and also prevent / avoid cycling problems while shooting.

Look for places where the slide is rubbing against the frame, along the bottom of the slide, along the top of the slide, around the chamber area, and at the back of the frame. It's hard to get too specific, because they all rub in slightly different spots, but a little lube can go a long way towards making the slide move more easily.

For example, my old Buckmark needs lube where the top of the slide (ok, technically part of the recoil assembly, but it moves with the slide) rubs against the bottom of the sight rail, in the middle. You can only see it if you turn the gun upside down and look inside while the slide is locked back. Just an example of a not-so-obvious place to lube to make the slide move more easily.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:56 AM
northener

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Tandemkross and scg make slide rackers. Here's one link https://www.tandemkross.com/Charging-Handles_c_59.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 08:09 AM
cstuard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you are handy you can drill and tap the slide to add a couple of screws.

I used screws w/ small round heads but you could also use this style.
https://www.boltdepot.com/Socket_cap...nish_8-32.aspx
Old 01-11-2017, 05:37 PM
photoracer
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Or you might find a bare winged slide at MGW and just move your parts over, if you have the new (post 2001) model of slide. Browning still makes some that don't have the tabs on the back. Otherwise go with a slide racker from one of the venders like Tandemkross.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:57 PM
steel_killer
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know what you mean M60. No problem with racking it unless you get a click. Then they are tough. Another option is Billy Striplin's bolt Rackers but you have to mill the bolt to accept it. Works great though.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:28 PM
smith627

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Midwest Gun Works

Currently out of stock but if you click on the red button Email Me When Available , they will notify you when the part is in stock to order. This is assuming that you have a blue steel pistol post 2001 manufacture date that has the black plastic firing pin/guide rod spring assembly housing. I believe that their red bold comment at bottom of ad should say post 2001 instead of prior.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/B5150000
Old 01-17-2017, 01:40 PM
Zip1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Suggestion- no machining necessary - I believe it will work with newer slide, check with manuf

https://www.tandemkross.com/halo-Cha...ark_p_200.html
Old 01-17-2017, 05:21 PM
27 Beck

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M60A1Rise View Post
Hello all pretty new here. I have a question regarding the winged slides and where I could find one. Purchased a brand new Camper base model and I have to be honest that thing is hard on the thumbs lol. I'm a little old but not yet frail but it feels like i've been using my thumb/finger as a screw driver. I saw the Halo but it won't fit my newer model and i've looked all around the internet and no parts seem to be available to have something added. Any help is appreciated , thanks.
Apparently browning is still producing at least one model that has no "ears" that are really needed to rack the slide. Since the gun is a new purchase, I would call browning customer service and politely discuss your issue with them. Possible they may have a solution to your problem.

Edit, just realize you are in CA. Could be a problem as a camper with "ears" may well not be on the permitted list.

Last edited by 27 Beck; 01-17-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:32 PM
cmhbuckmark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Had the same issue (it racks much easier when it is cocked BTW) and solved it with two pieces of non-slip tape (the type you see on stairs or skateboard decks).

You can simply cut two small strips or carefully cut it so it fits the curved edges below and behind the recessed seration area.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:34 PM
DutchCactus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tried that non-slip grip tape but found it would slide a bit on the frame after a while so it wasn't that useful for me, actually a bit risky if the tape itself would suddenly slip off and cause me to unexpectedly slingshot the slide.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:49 PM
M60A1Rise
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok thanks everyone , after some oil a second cleaning and 300 some odd rounds it's not so bad. Thumbs still a little raw lol. Overall a nice little fun weapon. Shoots really well at 25yds indoors haven't been outside with it as i'd have to drive some. Can't find any CPRN CCI but so far the HP's work well ,Federal 501 was ok only had 50 rds of that. Going to try some M22 and hope it's not as bad as some say. This is a nice forum i've been lurking a long time before I ever posted , i'm sorry.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:52 PM
M60A1Rise
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
27 Beck , yes sir Cali stinks to high heaven when it comes to guns. Wasn't always this way though , I always vote against anything put on the ballot and i'm not even Republican
Old 01-29-2017, 02:41 PM
10X1958

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCactus View Post
I tried that non-slip grip tape but found it would slide a bit on the frame after a while so it wasn't that useful for me, actually a bit risky if the tape itself would suddenly slip off and cause me to unexpectedly slingshot the slide.
Before I applied the tape, I used a Q-tip soaked with acetone to remove all the oil. I'm not worried about rust underneath the tape as the pistol is kept in a very dry room. So that avoids the slippage.

I've fired the pistol quite a bit since applying the tape and haven't had any problems.

Besides, the tape is cheap enough that I can remove and replace it periodically to see if rust is developing.

The tape is the cheapest way to go and the easiest solution without machining. It's not very attractive and my pistol is an ugly-duckling after I installed an under barrel rail and Truglo refelx sight. On the other hand, I buy guns to shoot, not look at.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:52 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i just bought the TK halos for both my buckmark and my S&W victory ,