Bolt buffer update. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:40 AM
dewman
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Wink Bolt buffer update.

After reading several posts here about bolt buffers and being told that they were "the cat's pajamas", I bought one and installed it. I've gotta' say my results weren't anything like I had been led to believe. After over 31 years of almost flawless performance as Mr. Ruger designed it, on the first trip to the range with the new buffer installed, I had more jams during that one session than it's had in it's entire life!

That orange piece of plastic is now in the trash and the original steel pin is back in place and will remain there till I'm pushing up daisys!

I should have remembered the old addage...."If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Old 12-06-2006, 08:18 AM
earthdragon090

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
well I am sorry to hear that dewman but stick with what works for you
earth
Old 12-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The bolt buffer caused it to JAM? That's a new one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Horsefly

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Dewman, If I send you a SASE, will you send the buffer to me. I'm going to be helping my son with a build in the future and he could use some parts, he's a student. If you are willing, PM me your addy and I put it in the mail.

H'fly
Old 12-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Hoser
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have also had them give me fits. Seems as though it might be speeding up the bolts forward speed and trapping the empty case.

Now I only use them on my supressed 10/22.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Dakotan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
That is DEFINITELY a new one!
MScales mentioned this once a while back. I'm at a loss, Guys!

WELL….. THAT is interesting!
I just bought a new base gun for my Rhineland 10/22R Project a week or so ago, and finally got to function test it before proceeding with the build.

I just put 125 rounds through the NEW, UNFIRED 10/22 using ONLY Butler Creek HOT LIPS magazines with 3 (Three) malfunctions, all ammo related.
It digested 50 rounds of Stingers, 25 rounds of Velocitors, 25 rounds of American Eagle AE22, and 25 rounds of Dynapoints (with which all 3 failures to feed occurred).
The only thing that I did to this gun besides the usual “field-strip, inspection, cleaning, and lube” before firing, was to remove a burr on the extractor slot on the Bolt that was binding the extractor; that’s it.
I’m amazed. The extractor slot fix aside, this is the absolute best I’ve EVER had a 10/22 function right out of the box.

I installed the Buffer at about round 35. Cleared the gun, pulled the action and threw in a WK Buffer, and continued to blast through the remaining 90 rounds without a hitch.
This has been my experience with every 10/22 I’ve built, but I had the opportunity to try it myself today on a NEW new “zero-time” gun, with Hot Lips magazines, and 4 kinds of ammo… the worst possible scenario. If it was going to start choking I would think this would have been the time!

Besides, if there are problems or even quirks with anything I make, I dang sure want to know about it!

ALL of my 8 10/22s (7 bought new) get Buffers after the first 10 or 20 rounds, and NONE have ever started jammming after installation of the Buffers.

This seems to be a VERY gun-specific malady, otherwise I think I'd be getting a LOT of e-mail!
As it is this is the first I've heard of anyone having problems. There's gotta be something else going on here or ALL the 10/22s with Buffers would be having problems, and that's a LOT of gunsI haven't heard about!

BTW Dewman, there IS a Money-Back Guarantee on all of my products.... yet I don't seem to have heard from you until now?

Let's hear some set-up specifics, guys. Rounds fired? Ammo used? etc etc

I have a feeling that spring rates and ammo are going to come into play here, but I'd really like to figure this one out, even if only a limited number of guns are having problems.

- Reed @ WeaponKraft

Last edited by Dakotan; 12-06-2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:56 PM
AK

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post

Same here. Reed will back up his products as you can see in his post and I'm willing to bet that there is something else causing the malfunction.

Did you fire the rifle after you installed the factory pin?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:15 PM
dewman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile Bolt buffer issue.

I tried several brands of ammo....Mini-mags, Wildcats, Stingers, cheapo-Federal Bulk ammo, Remington GB's, and some standard velocity stuff....with high capacity mags (which I have absolutely NO faith in!) and two factory mags, and had the same results with them all. I'm at a loss as to the problem. When removing the buffer, it had retained a "memory"....read: "curved shape". At any rate, after replacing it with the factory steel pin the problem, at least with the factory mags, the malady went away.

Reed, I have no "hard feelings" about trying your buffer, and certainly don't expect nor would would I accept a refund. It was well worth a try and as was mentioned, probably "rifle specific." Rifles are much like women....you never quite know what the problem is and sometimes it just isn't worth the time nor effort to find out. In no way did I mean to infer that you're selling an inferior product and hope my post didn't in any way suggest such a thing. As you mentioned, if there was a problem with the buffers, I'm sure you would have a lot of e-mails by now.

Last edited by dewman; 12-06-2006 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:19 PM
WVgunsmith

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to WVgunsmith Send a message via Yahoo to WVgunsmith
I guess some rifles dont like them. I know mine does i'v shot over a 1000rds or more through mine. I tell ya i think the rifle shoots better with the buffer. Than it did with the stock steel pin. But i hate to hear that for some of you guys.

Scott
Old 12-07-2006, 01:30 AM
doublechaz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Perhaps through variance and such your buffer has a larger diameter than that rounded notch in the back of the bolt so that things don't fit well at all. I'm waiting for a buffer to show up now.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:11 AM
ElrodCod

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I'd suspect the extractor and recoil spring in a 31 year old gun.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Dakotan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechaz View Post
Perhaps through variance and such your buffer has a larger diameter than that rounded notch in the back of the bolt so that things don't fit well at all. I'm waiting for a buffer to show up now.
Not unless it's Ruger's variation, Chaz.
The Buffer material has a manufacturing tolerance of + or - .007", but it's always usually more like + or - .003" or thereabouts, and I measure every batch several times along it's length during the cutting process.

And there are certainly no hard feelings on my end either, Dewman!
By the way, the "curve" that you noticed in the Buffer is there from the manufacturing process, since the material is extruded directly onto a roll, they're all that way "from birth", as it were.

I'm just trying to figure out what's going on here, and can't get any of my 10/22s to do it, and it's making me nuts!
I've bought three new 10/22s in the last year or so, they've all had Buffers installed from literally day one, and none of them have had a hiccup that wasn't "Hi-Cap magazine break-in" related!

Like I said, even if only a limited number of 10/22s have the problem, it's still a problem to me.
I just want everyone to have the best experience possible with WeaponKraft products.

- Dakotan (aka Reed @ WeaponKraft)

Last edited by Dakotan; 12-07-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:33 PM
K-man

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Reed, i put my first buffer in a 15 year old well shot carbine that i did the works on, nary a hiccup, and I've put 6 more into brand new, unshot, reworked, IE. randyized bolts, with VQ extractors, ttshooter triggers, various barrels, even 17hm2, put them together, and run through 300-500 rounds on their first time out with no problems, as long as i start with Ruger, or TI mags, hot lips and steel lips will clog up sometimes, but it's always been the mag, you know.. you take it out beat it on your leg, put it back in and rip off 2-10 more shots..no problems at all with the bolt buffers, one of the best bangs for the buck..
Old 12-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Horsefly

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Wooo Hoo, I'm gonna' crawl out on a limb on this and bring on the flames if they're deserved. Here goes.

I can't for the life of me figure out how a polyurathane buffer can contribute to extraction problems. The way I see it, is that the poly U will compress and retard the bolt closure by a few fractions of a second compared to the metal pin. This loss of bolt closure time, should facillitate case ejection by allowimg the case more time to clear the receiver.

I would bet my hard earned $$$ that this is not a buffer issue. dewman, think back and make sure that you didn't make other modifications that could have contributed to this problem. I may be very wrong, but I can only see that a softer (compared to the factory pin) buffer would allow for longer extractor/ejection time, which would assist in correcting your problem, not causing it.

H'fly
Old 12-07-2006, 11:46 PM
Shred

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
I can't for the life of me figure out how a polyurathane buffer can contribute to extraction problems. The way I see it, is that the poly U will compress and retard the bolt closure by a few fractions of a second compared to the metal pin. This loss of bolt closure time, should facillitate case ejection by allowimg the case more time to clear the receiver.

I agree , It seems like the WK bolt buffer would only HELP extraction/ejection/feeding, that is unless the original posters Magazines are so fouled/gunked up that the extra shock of the bolt smacking the factory bolt pin is actually helping to keep the magazines feeding.