Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-09-2019, 01:44 PM
Southpaw62
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lonely old 552 in LGS

Hey,

I found a pre 67 552 in a LGS for $99. It's by no means cherry on the outside. No rust, but a few scratches on the receiver and bluing a bit worn on the barrel, like your Dad's old wood handled hammer. Seems to function fine and everything is straight and where it should be and bore is sharp except for the missing sight elevator.

Anyway, it fits a hole in my collection. Think I'm gonna take this lonely stray home, clean it find a sight elevator and shoot it but otherwise leave the patina alone.

Anyone thoughts of things I might have missed.
I figure for $99 plus whatever a sight elevator runs would be worth it.

Thanks SP
Old 10-09-2019, 03:51 PM
GreggieBoy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nicely done. Good to bring home a rifle needing some TLC.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:12 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
For $99, almost anything intact is a gamble worth taking, especially something with the potential to be considerably nicer than a $99 gun. I've taken that sort of gamble a number of times at a local pawn shop and it has paid off every time. For that price, anything mechanically solid makes for a fun project, and for me, those projects have mostly resulted in long term keepers. Perhaps never again valuable in terms of market value, but I've gotten far more than my money's worth in shooting enjoyment when the project is complete.

Only because your post didn't mention it, I might suggest inserting a snap cap to double check function before purchasing. Also, pop the barreled action out of the stock just to get a peek at what may be hiding down in there where you can't see.

Bottom line, I'd buy a functional and used-but-not-abused 552 for that price in a heartbeat.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:13 PM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Way to go. You got your money's worth and then some.

John
Old 10-09-2019, 10:17 PM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
That sounds like a heck of a deal, even if you have to replace a few internal parts.
I really like mine, can't believe I didn't buy one sooner. I have fond memories of shooting my Grandads 572, except for being a pump, pretty similar to the 552.

Mine was made in August of 1959, and it groups RWS Subsonic HP's all touching, and doesn't do too bad with Mini-Mags and Golden Bullets either.
It now has a Weaver RV-7 with Talley rings on it.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:17 AM
Southpaw62

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
That sounds like a heck of a deal, even if you have to replace a few internal parts.
I really like mine, can't believe I didn't buy one sooner. I have fond memories of shooting my Grandads 572, except for being a pump, pretty similar to the 552.

Mine was made in August of 1959, and it groups RWS Subsonic HP's all touching, and doesn't do too bad with Mini-Mags and Golden Bullets either.
It now has a Weaver RV-7 with Talley rings on it.

Beautiful rifle sandog!
Sounds like a great shooter.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:34 AM
Southpaw62

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all the input.

I picked up the old Speedmaster, looks like a 11/60 creation. It's not bad at all for a 59 year old rifle. Remingtons are built to last.

I'll toss some pics up when I get some daylight tomorrow.

Anyone know a good place to find an open sight step (elevator)? Numerich has them but their new manufacture, not sure they would be right for a 1960 Model?

-SP
Old 10-10-2019, 08:00 AM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Southpaw, this is in the 552 schematic on the Numrich site, page #7:
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/87450B.
Looks like the same step as used on the model 121 and several other models.

I am also a southpaw, and the 552 or the Nylon 66 has never bothered me, or have any other semi auto rifles but one.
My first rifle, handed down by my Dad and then to my brother and then me, was a Remington 550-1, and that thing peppered my face with every shot, and I shot it a lot. It was very accurate though. I couldn't wait to be rid of it, and gave it back to my brother, and I went out and bought a Nylon 66 my Junior year of high school.

I'm hoping the Fortmann's left hand safety like I use on the model 870 shotgun will work on the 552, then the safety won't be backwards for me.

Last edited by sandog; 10-10-2019 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:27 AM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
You did great !
You'll love the speedy..yes you will.
Mine is like yours.. not a beauty queen..
But it's been in my family many years.
Enjoy that rifle as is.
You'll be impressed.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:16 PM
Southpaw62

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking

Well, her she is.

The left side of the receiver and stock look like someone kicked it across a gravel road, I don't think that will bother it's functionality at all, lol.
After all what 50+ anything doesn't have a few battle scars that add character?
I know I do.

I might see if I can repair that big chip out of the stock though, and see if I can't get the stock and receiver to line up with each other up top. Maybe try and buff those receiver scratches, but the bore is bright and shiny and the springs seem strong,

I'm pleased with it for what I paid, for now just gonna clean it good and put a few tubes thru it.

Thanks for all the posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8626.JPG (345.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8627.JPG (225.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8630.JPG (386.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8631.jpg (179.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-10-2019, 10:29 PM
Southpaw62

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
Southpaw, this is in the 552 schematic on the Numrich site, page #7:
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/87450B.
Looks like the same step as used on the model 121 and several other models.

I am also a southpaw, and the 552 or the Nylon 66 has never bothered me, or have any other semi auto rifles but one.
My first rifle, handed down by my Dad and then to my brother and then me, was a Remington 550-1, and that thing peppered my face with every shot, and I shot it a lot. It was very accurate though. I couldn't wait to be rid of it, and gave it back to my brother, and I went out and bought a Nylon 66 my Junior year of high school.

I'm hoping the Fortmann's left hand safety like I use on the model 870 shotgun will work on the 552, then the safety won't be backwards for me.
Haha yeah, I have a 550-1 also, I let whomever's with me shoot that!
Thanks, for the link.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:32 PM
Southpaw62

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
You did great !
You'll love the speedy..yes you will.
Mine is like yours.. not a beauty queen..
But it's been in my family many years.
Enjoy that rifle as is.
You'll be impressed.
Thanks buckweet!

Love that old wood and steel
Old 10-11-2019, 02:40 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Judging by the fit of that stock, I'm betting it isn't the original stock. However, with a little elbow grease I bet you can make it look like new. The action is a bit more problematic, but as long as it shoots and functions well you can always mess with it a little at a time. Buffing will probably take all the blue off, so at a minimum a good cold blue will be required to bring it back. If that is the case you could take a hard block and some 800-1000 grit wet or dry paper and polish it down carefully to get the scratches as far out as you can without removing the logos. Then a good cold blue like 44-40 or something similar and it will look like new.

Great buy at the price you got it for. I would have jumped on that deal any day...

Bob
Old 10-11-2019, 05:15 PM
pete379
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The receiver is anodized aaluminum
Old 10-11-2019, 08:13 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete379 View Post
The receiver is anodized aaluminum
Forgot about that. I was just looking at it and wondering exactly that before I read your comment. Might want to look into what it would take to repair this without damaging the aluminum or making it impossible to refinish....