Nylon 66 Sighting Options - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:55 PM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Nylon 66 Sighting Options

I can do O.K. with my 62 year old eyes using the stock sights on the 66, as long as the shooting is fairly close in. Yesterday I was hitting everything I aimed at shooting golf balls and tiny rocks from 10 to 30 yards.
In a quest for a little more distance and precision, I tried using a peep sight that clamps to the scope grooves.
I attempted to use either a Williams peep and a Skinner peep on my MB but realized I was going to need a really tall spacer under the front sight.

I ended up getting some of these Picatinny to 3/8" dovetail adapters so I could mount one of my spare Burris Fastfires on the Nylon.
You turn your dot sight over, slip one of these adapters in the sight's clamp, then put the sight on your .22's scope grooves.
As you tighten the screw knob on the sight, it tightens the spring loaded adapter down in your rifles grooves. Pretty slick, light weight, and keeps the dot nice and low.

Due to the 66's rounded profile between the grooves, I did have to take a round file and make a concave trench in the bottom of the adapter so it would sit all the way down on the receiver.
No biggie, just took maybe 5 minutes to make the rounded bottom in the aluminum adapter.

Now I have a sight that's quick to acquire, great in low light, and all the windage and elevation adjustment you'd ever need.
No more having to focus on a front and rear sight that aren't exactly in sharp focus anymore.

Last edited by sandog; 10-06-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:59 PM
A square 10
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
mine shoots fine with the irons , but being im old i added a scope - i bought a block mount from planet optics that provided a really firm platform on the bent plate cover without distorting it , it has proved a most reliable installation , i was looking for distance focus/shooting , to me a red dot is close quarters
Old 10-07-2019, 05:00 AM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
I can do O.K. with my 62 year old eyes using the stock sights on the 66, as long as the shooting is fairly close in. Yesterday I was hitting everything I aimed at shooting golf balls and tiny rocks from 10 to 30 yards.
In a quest for a little more distance and precision, I tried using a peep sight that clamps to the scope grooves.
I attempted to use either a Williams peep and a Skinner peep on my MB but realized I was going to need a really tall spacer under the front sight.

I ended up getting some of these Picatinny to 3/8" dovetail adapters so I could mount one of my spare Burris Fastfires on the Nylon.
You turn your dot sight over, slip one of these adapters in the sight's clamp, then put the sight on your .22's scope grooves.
As you tighten the screw knob on the sight, it tightens the spring loaded adapter down in your rifles grooves. Pretty slick, light weight, and keeps the dot nice and low.

Due to the 66's rounded profile between the grooves, I did have to take a round file and make a concave trench in the bottom of the adapter so it would sit all the way down on the receiver.
No biggie, just took maybe 5 minutes to make the rounded bottom in the aluminum adapter.

Now I have a sight that's quick to acquire, great in low light, and all the windage and elevation adjustment you'd ever need.
No more having to focus on a front and rear sight that aren't exactly in sharp focus anymore.

Now THAT .. is just slick !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 08:35 AM
sandog

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Thanks, buckweet. I find that if I turn down the dot's brightness to the lowest setting, the dot, even though it is 3 MOA, is nice and round, and easy to see with my old eyes. When the dot is too bright, it doesn't look perfectly round and has some "flare".
I'll be able to shoot my 66 now at a bit more distance and with more precision.
The FastFires are rugged, good battery life, and only weigh one ounce.
At around $220, it cost more than my Nylon did though !
I like the FF, have them on all 3 of my Mini-30s:
Old 10-07-2019, 09:48 AM
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have been using and old Weaver K4 on my 66AB since I got received it in 1969. In all that time the scope has never been off the rifle. It has accounted for many a squirrel, rabbit, crow, grackle, soda cans, floating shotgun shells, and bottle tops over the years. WOrks as good today as it did then.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:01 AM
sandog

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I’ve heard many others beside you say that their 66 is scoped and has held zero just fine.
Many will repeat what a few guys have said, that it’s hopeless to try to put a scope on a 66 due to it’s “flimsy” receiver, but they are deadly with the factory rear sight, as it’s unaffected by the flimsy cover.

Last I checked, the rear sight is attached to the cover, it just happens to hang out over the barrel.

My thoughts are, in an effort to ensure a more “solid” place to mount their scope, some guys overtighten the cover screws.

On the 66 I bought this summer, the cover screws were on so tight I thought I was going to strip the heads trying to get them off.
They were so tight the bolt was being pinched and the rifle wouldn’t function.

And it stands to reason if you are going to put a scope on that cover, keep the scope small and light, don’t overwhelm it.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:51 PM
dustoffer

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Williams peep sight on mine that clamps to the scope mount grooves. Replaced front sight with appropriate height one and done.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:29 PM
sandog

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Dustoffer, what height sight did you end up using ?
As far as I know, the 66 sharkfin sight only came in one height.

I’ve been wondering if the sharkfin sight for the newer 552/572 is any higher, and if it has the same bolt hole spacing.

My levers and older Remingtons with dovetails are easy, just order a taller Lyman or Marbles one
Old 10-07-2019, 03:11 PM
Ferox34
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
sanddog

Do you have a part number, manufacturer or other ID on the scope mount piece? Where can I buy a couple as I have a few Nylons and some spare red/green dots laying about I could set up. Thanks.

Ferox34
Old 10-07-2019, 03:52 PM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you’re talking about that little mount in the pictures above. They sell them on *Bay ,usually come from China ( free shipping)
Old 10-07-2019, 04:05 PM
sandog

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Ferox, I got mine from Amazon, just put “UTG Picatinny to Dovetail Adapter” in the search box and it should come up.
I know Pyramyd Air (air rifle supplier)in Ohio sells them too.
Just be forewarned that you’ll have to round out the bottom of the mount so it will lay down on the receiver all the way.
I had to take off almost down to those spring loaded cross pins.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:28 PM
Ferox34

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
thanks guys

I got a Dremel and a %%%%%%% file....look it up, it is the correct term for a file with one flat side and one rounded side.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:50 AM
dustoffer

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
sandog---I got an after-market front sight from this company:

http://www.skinnersights.com/front_sights_5.html

I used this formula to determine the change in front sight height I needed:

("sight radius" X "amount of correction needed") divided by distance to target in inches

Sight radius = distance between front and rear, amount of correction needed is how much you need point of impact to move to enable zero. Run the numbers and you'll get the amount taller/lower sight needs to be.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:03 PM
sandog

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I’ll try one of those.
I have a couple Skinner sights for lever actions, and was aware of their dovetail front sights, but have overlooked their screw on sights.
Single screw mounting, so no worries about the second screw lining up.
They are .550 tall, I hope that’s enough.
When I put the temporary rubber spacer under my factory front sight, it raised it up almost 7/32”, and that wasn’t high enough.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:57 PM
Ceapea

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Part numbers for mounts

Okay, so this thread got me thinking. I have wanted a good set of peeps for my 66s for years. None that I have seen or read about works for me. So this red dot idea is the best alternative.
I have collected high end German and English air rifles for years. I remembered buying some of those UTG dovetail to pic adaptors a long time ago. So off I go to find them, as I have several unused red dot sights laying around. I ended up finding those, and possibly a better option...already radioused to fit the curve of the 66 receiver. Here are some pics...

And another post with pics of the part numbers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0350.JPG (304.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0351.jpg (273.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0352.jpg (275.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0353.JPG (425.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0354.JPG (407.8 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Ceapea; 10-08-2019 at 06:01 PM.