Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:16 AM
billwunder

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My new/used Savage BTVSS

Just wanted to drop a note regarding my most recent trade. A Savage BTVSS in stainless, thumbhole brown stock. i have looked at these for years. I am a CZ snob owning 2 bolts (452) and a semi 22lr (512). I always questioned the accuracy of the Savage vs. CZ. I am happy to report that the accuracy of this rifle is easily as good as my CZ's and more accurate than my CZ 455 Varmint (heavy barrel), that i just sold off. Never could get that to shoot after screwing with it for 5 yrs. (pillars, bedding, different stock). Beware of the 455 series.

This gun is in like new condition. I replace the bottom metal with a new plate from DIP so I could torque the action appropriately to 24 lbs. This is highly recommended because it will not bend like the factory plate does. I also added a Rifle Basix Trigger. This brought the pull down to just under 1 1/2 lbs. Nothing wrong with the factory trigger, just would not go below 3 lbs.

I shoot in a club competition monthly. We shoot 2 cards of the USBR green monster target. 500 is a perfect score. With the Savage I am consistently shooting 440 - 459 with SK Std. + off a bipod at 50 yds. its not all me. This rifle can shoot.

I am a Savage convert.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:38 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes they can! And some, like your BTVSS are lookers too! Iíve got a BV in a laminate stock, and a fvsr in a Tupperware stock, and a trrsr in the Boydís tacticool stock. And before I bought my CZs they were my precision shooters. And to be honest they shoot just as good. But they donít have the same cache as the CZs. Now I covet the Anschutz, so maybe Iíll sell the 3 Savages and buy an Anschutz.

PS I once had a Savage Rascal, bought it used for $88, put a Cabellas 3x9 Rimfire scope on it and a bipod, And That little fella was MOA all day long with CCI SV. Used to bug the ÄÄÄ£• out of the guys shooting their CZs and Annieís right next to me.But thatís when I could see. Gave it to my 12 year old nephew.

Maybe I wonít sell them , maybe I will rescope them and shoot them some more. Maybe Iíll sell the Marlins first
Old 06-04-2019, 12:31 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
That IS encouraging!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2019, 08:40 AM
jsenick
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Go Savage!

I also have a BTV. I kept the stock trigger that works fine, added the replacement metal and a Vortex CrossFire II 6x24-50. Every time I go to the range I wear a smile because of this rifle. Consistent 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards with SK Standard +. Starting to shoot 100 yards now and getting 1.2 inch groups. Extremely happy with my Savage.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:49 PM
phillipf

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwunder View Post
Just wanted to drop a note regarding my most recent trade. A Savage BTVSS in stainless, thumbhole brown stock. i have looked at these for years. I am a CZ snob owning 2 bolts (452) and a semi 22lr (512). I always questioned the accuracy of the Savage vs. CZ. I am happy to report that the accuracy of this rifle is easily as good as my CZ's and more accurate than my CZ 455 Varmint (heavy barrel), that i just sold off. Never could get that to shoot after screwing with it for 5 yrs. (pillars, bedding, different stock). Beware of the 455 series.

This gun is in like new condition. I replace the bottom metal with a new plate from DIP so I could torque the action appropriately to 24 lbs. This is highly recommended because it will not bend like the factory plate does. I also added a Rifle Basix Trigger. This brought the pull down to just under 1 1/2 lbs. Nothing wrong with the factory trigger, just would not go below 3 lbs.

I shoot in a club competition monthly. We shoot 2 cards of the USBR green monster target. 500 is a perfect score. With the Savage I am consistently shooting 440 - 459 with SK Std. + off a bipod at 50 yds. its not all me. This rifle can shoot.

I am a Savage convert.
I can verify the above for I shoot with bw and he shoots this gun almost like a
semi-auto, he waste no time, now others at the club are buying the Savage.
Also bw has helped me a lot at this sport. thanks

Old 06-22-2019, 07:03 PM
rex979

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Savage BTVSS

BW,
I just recently purchased one of these used the other day and should have it delivered in a couple of days. So I've been reading up on common mods and things to look out for etc. I'm curious on your assertion to torque the action screws to 24 ft lbs ?? Savage specs are 15 in lbs ! I would think that 24 ft lbs would be far too tight and damage something ?? Thanks for your feedback

Cheers
Old 06-22-2019, 07:58 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
He didn't specify foot or inch pounds although I took it as inch pounds. 24 foot pounds is going to strip screws. I have a FV-SR in a Boyd's provarmint stock and 15 inch pounds does not get the job done for it. It scatters it's groups rather badly at that tightness.. 22 inch pounds has tightened thing up nicely and I'm going to go up 2 pound at a time to see where the sweet spot is in torque. I have a pre-e- receiver MK II that doesn't need a torque wrench. Just tighten the screws really tight and there is where it shoots it's best. Loosen them up and the groups open up.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:46 PM
rex979

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Trigger group torque

Arrowhead,

Thank you, quite right, it states 24 lbs, so we will assume INCH lbs. I will check the rifle when I get it, set to 15 in lbs and try it, and then tighten @ 2 lbs at a time to a max of 24 and see what happens.
Thank you for your input
Old 06-23-2019, 11:11 PM
DogT
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Perhaps some of you read about my first BVTSS. It was a dud, the rifling looked like threads. Savage replaced it and this one shoots great, it really competes with my Rem 513T. I haven't done a thing to it, just shot it out of the box. The first one I did all that stuff to it and it all disappeared in the Savage factory. I'm shooting 1/2" or less 50 shot groups at 50yds with it, Eley Club. I may do a bedding on the front receiver screw. I'm not sure if I'll get another DIP plate if I do that. Personally I don't care for the look of the stock, but I have to say it's lots more comfortable to shoot than the 513T, but a lot of it is the trigger difference. I put a $50 Walmart Barska 8-24x50 on it, I had to shim the rear mount .005" to get it zeroed.

Last edited by DogT; 06-23-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:49 AM
billwunder

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
To rex979

Haven't been here in a while. I own a few CZ's 22lr and the maximum factory action screw setting is 25 in. lbs. I have found inaccuracy/inconsistency is some times from action movement in the stock. So I test at various tightness until I achieve the smallest group. I went with 24 lbs. because that worked best for me. I did this with an optional DIP bottom plate. The thin factory plate could not tolerate that setting without bending. Works best for me. The factory recommendation of either hand tight or 15 lbs. seems unusually light for me.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:33 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sometimes the inletting is a little loose , I find that adding a pressure pad ,a piece of rubber, or felt under the barrel Tilts the action backward and that drawing the actionit back into the stock with the screws at the lower torque values is often enough to get a tight secure fit. Not as good as pillar and glass bedding, but easier. I donít like over tightening things itís never worked well for me.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:57 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwunder View Post
Haven't been here in a while. I own a few CZ's 22lr and the maximum factory action screw setting is 25 in. lbs. I have found inaccuracy/inconsistency is some times from action movement in the stock. So I test at various tightness until I achieve the smallest group. I went with 24 lbs. because that worked best for me. I did this with an optional DIP bottom plate. The thin factory plate could not tolerate that setting without bending. Works best for me. The factory recommendation of either hand tight or 15 lbs. seems unusually light for me.
I think the factory recommendation is to protect the cheesy plate they put on the rifle. I've never owned a 22 that shot well with light action screw torque, whatever the brand.