Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-26-2019, 02:54 PM
Skip Ellis
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Getting Back To It - Suggestions

Haven't been shooting in the last few years (outdoor range is 35 miles out of town and expensive to join - one indoor range is not well maintained, and the other two are a little pricey but maybe I could manage occasionally) Anyway, I don't own a handgun at present but getting ready to pick up something for EDC and another for strictly paper punching. Haven't been in the market for a while so looking for suggestions on a good quality, accurate .22 for bullseye type shooting. In the past I've had a High Standard HD Military (1947), a Houston High Standard Victor, and a Ruger SP101, 4" with a red dot sight - all much more accurate than me. So what's out there these days that might fit the bill? another Victor would be nice but probably a little above my pay grade.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:03 PM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Most of the guys shooting target .22 pistol at my club shoot either Browning or Ruger

For an EDC, Glock 17 or SW M&P Shield in 9mm seem to be popular, if you can get those.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2019, 08:55 PM
crankythunder

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
There are three economical 22 handguns to consider

They are the buckmark, the ruger mark 1-4, and do not forget the S&W Victory.

I have been bested by shooters using one of the above. I have not seen many, if not any of the other less expensive 22 handguns on the competition line.

Regards,
Crankster

www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com
www.ccrcrifleteam.weebly.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2019, 10:41 PM
NWFRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One can still occasionally find the IZH-35M for a good price. Not everyone likes them. I paid $600 for my first one and $350 for my second. They've both run several thousand rounds without a single hiccup. I've replaced both action springs with PowerCustom 10/22 action springs. You'll want to replace all the soft slotted screws with tapered hex-head screws. I now have five factory 5rd magazines between them. They're very popular with all my friends. Easy to shoot. Heavy. Very little felt recoil. Ergonomic walnut grips. Safe to dry-fire. Extremely accurate. Removable optics rail. Adjustable trigger.

The Sig Trailside is another good affordable option. I paid $399 for mine when they were still being imported. They haven't really gone up in value. You risk cracking the trigger bow/slide stop if you run HV ammo through them. The base model was pretty bargain-basement but I tuned mine up with some LARY'S GUNS parts (stainlesd guide-rod, action-spring, and barrel weight) and stippled walnut RINK grips. Integral optics rail. Adjustable trigger.

Last edited by NWFRS; 05-27-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:14 PM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
The BuckMark Hunter, Ruger MKIV Competition, S&W Model 41. I have all three. With red dots or scope and/or open sights, I believe all of these will scratch your itch. Needless to say, the Model 41 has the tightest groups with open sights at 25 yards. SK+ all 5 touching from the bench. All three have no problem with the 6" plate at 50 yards. Get what rings your "gong" and have some fun! Later Gator ....... AH
Old 06-27-2019, 03:20 PM
RetiredMSgt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have owned a GSG 1911 .22 for several months. I am one to go for accuracy. I am not a professional shooter, maybe an advanced beginner who has a lot to learn about fine trigger control, breathing techniques, ect. I have the target model which means an adjustable rear sight, over-sized grip and a rail. I went on Amazon and picked up an inexpensive wrap-a-round scope mount and 3X pistol scope. I shoot on an indoor range from a shooting table and plastic $22 Caldwell handgun shooting rest. I have tested over a dozen different kinds of ammo. (Be aware that works in one pistol may not be ideal in another.) I normally shoot 50 to 100 rounds of each kind of ammo. I clean the pistol between each. I shoot at 25 yards. I fire four rounds and measure the best three assuming the flier was operator error. I take the average between 5 and 10 repetitions.

Here are some results: CCI Subsonic -.603, CCI Poly Clean-.625, Rem Golden Bullet-.640, CCI Mini Mag-.660, CCI Standard Velocity Target-.698, Aguila Pistol Match-.700, CCI A/R Tactical-.849, Armscor-.900, Win Super X-1.183, Fed Game Shock-1.235, and Win Wildcat 1.288.
(My best single grouping yet was with CCI Mini Mag at .390 inches.)

Not all ammo works smoothly. While the Golden Bullet shoots reasonably accurately, I did experience several feed/extract problems. I had the same problem with some of the Aguila samples.

I have always been annoyed by reading a review and the writer says the firearm is "accurate" but doesn't give any supporting evidence. This 1911 is an inexpensive handgun. Got mine for around $230 off a website new. I compare it with the reviews of $1,000 plus handguns found in the usual shooting magazines. The good ones will maybe shot a 2-inch group at 25 yards and the writer will praise it for the extreme accuracy. If my 1911 can't group ammo whatever under an inch, I think it is worthless. I just don't understand why the expensive guns can't group better.

Bottom line...The GSG 1911 .22 is a low-cost pistol of reasonable quality with really good accuracy. Should the day come when I wear mine out, I will probably by another.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:16 PM
athappyhiker
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you're going to go for just one 22 handgun, go high quality and get a Browning Buckmark; their triggers are great out of the box, and they have plenty of models to pick from with barrel lengths, grips, sights, etc. Super accurate. Uber reliable. And you can't beat the polished flat sided barrel versions for looks, especially the ones with the wood grip panels.
The Ruger MK series (IV being most recent) are the other go-to, but their triggers from the factory aren't great. THe IV series fixed the pain in the rear take down.
I've heard good things about S&W Victory, but they are kind of ugly to me.
If you're looking for a 22 revolver, the ruger SP101 series in DA, and the Single 10 in SA are super nice.

For EDC, you didn't really ask about that and didn't give any of your preferences re. caliber, type, size etc. but I'd still chime in for the S&W Shield for compact single stack 9mm (or a Kahr CW9 if you like DA-style super smooth triggers).
S&W J frame 5 shot 442 or 642 models in 38 special can't be beat for revolver option.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:11 PM
osbornk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Both my GSG 1911-22 and Ruger Mk III 22/45 are accurate. However, I enjoy shooting revolvers more. I shoot my Ruger Single Six very well as well as my Charter Arms Pathfinder Target. The Single Six was gifted to me but if I was buying new, I would probably buy a Ruger Wrangler (but the sights are different) that is much cheaper with a market price of under $200. Like with a manual transmission in a car, I feel more involved and in control with a revolver.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:20 AM
Indigo22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Check out the S&W M&P22 full sized. I was able to try out my buddies and found it to be very accurate. He is a newbie to handguns and the best part is when he finally gets a centerfire pistol he is planning on getting a M&P also. With the same feel and same controls he will not have to learn the function of a new platform.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:55 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can sympatize with your range distance. I use a free Forest Service range that's 30 miles away. There are two local indoor ranges, but several negatives to both.

I was out of shooting for 20-odd years, so coming back in 2008 made a lot of questions. After several buys and sales, I have settled on a small collection of handguns (5) that was very thought out for my needs, which may not match yours.

My paper punchers are Bearcats and a .22 SP101, all with Wolff springs. I like the option of cowboy type SA, or modern DA/SA. Paper punching, I'm not after super accuracy.

MY EDC is a NAA Guardian 32. All stainless steel, 15 ounces loaded. Less recoil than .380. Smallest gun on the market besides the older .25 ACPs, except Seecamps are a tiny fraction smaller. I like NAA's features better.

House gun is a .357 SP101.

Last edited by bearcatter; 07-01-2019 at 01:06 PM.