Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-16-2019, 03:22 PM
G. Freeman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New 10/22 Receiver; Damage to V-Block Hole Threads

Hello Guys,

Just requesting your input. Just brought home a take-off (brand-new) 10/22 receiver from SAP.

Looked at the hole where the v-block screws thread into and I noticed the hole appears to have been mismachined--like it was about to be drilled, then the drill was withdrawn then repositioned.

The first 2-4 threads are missing on one section but the rest of the threads are good.

Have you guys seen this before? Since I have filled out the paperwork already, I'm unable to return this.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:28 PM
G. Freeman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New 10/22 Receiver; Damage to V-Block Hole Threads

Hello Guys,

Just brought home a take-off (brand-new) 10/22 receiver from SAP.

Looked at the hole where the v-block screws thread into and I noticed the hole appears to have been mismachined--like it was about to be drilled, then the drill was withdrawn then repositioned.

The first 3-4 threads are missing on one section but the rest of the threads are good.

Have you guys seen this before? Since I have filled out the paperwork already, I'm unable to return this.

Is the receiver still good? I figure there is still enough remaining threads to hold the v-block screws. But I am not pleased with this QC.

I'd appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190316_114625.jpg (350.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-16-2019, 05:04 PM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I think you'll be fine with that.
The v-block screws are pretty long..
Try it and see ?
If she snugs up square.. I'd say you're good to go .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2019, 05:41 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Angry contact the place you bought it from

I hope they will make it right, there is no excuse for a crappy job like that getting into a customers hands !
Old 03-16-2019, 05:44 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
From an engineering standpoint I am not thrilled with the v-block anyway. Given your situation I would get/use the Gunsmither block and never look back.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:17 PM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You should have plenty of threads left. 3-4 threads isn't much to worry about. I believe they are fine threads, so that won't be very deep at all, and the screws are pretty long in comparison, anyway.

If you get all geeked out, CPC threads the barrel into the receiver for $45 if you have him do a tune-up.

Good Luck
Old 03-16-2019, 07:05 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Freeman View Post
Hello Guys,

Just brought home a take-off (brand-new) 10/22 receiver from SAP.

The first 3-4 threads are missing on one section but the rest of the threads are good.

Is the receiver still good? I figure there is still enough remaining threads to hold the v-block screws. But I am not pleased with this QC

I'd appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!
That's about as bad as it gets! I would demand a refund + shipping + the transfer fee from SAP. It is no problem sending/transferring it back to them. Let them take it up with Ruger.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:56 AM
Ferox34
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
return it

paperwork be dammed. If it is a defective item it should be returned. What if it was a complete gun?? S&P sells a lot of receivers, I have one from them, I think they would work with you. Keep us posted on what you find out.

Ferox34
Old 03-17-2019, 10:47 AM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you cant get it ironed out you could turn it into a take down with an Archangel qbd stock.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:54 AM
Lupey
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
If you cant get it ironed out you could turn it into a take down with an Archangel qbd stock.
https://www.centerfireguns.com/proma...blk-aaqbd.html

dang it, just when I thought I might have enough 10-22 stuff,
Old 03-17-2019, 12:38 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well you broke the cardinal rule of gun buying, Always inspect before you sign anything.Sure there can be hidden defects, but cosmetic flaws are obvious, and if you donít sign , the gun goes back. I have bought 3 stripped receivers from SAndP , they went to the FFL, I inspected them, then I did the paperwork. Mine were fine. But if i gotten one like yours it wouldíve been on its way back. Let me guess the ffl was busy, had you do the paperwork, and then handed you the package, which you didnít even open unti you got home. So Iíd say you and the ffl are culpable in this instance. The real responsible party is Ruger, so you might have to send it back to them. But Iíd try SAnd P first. Be nice and reasonable, and if it costs you a few bucks , just do it, cause you arenít completely innocent here. Fortunately itís only a $70 receiver, and it probably will work fine, but youíve learned your lesson. Always inspect before you sign.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:19 PM
Atonic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send it back if you can. Otherwise, just use it.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:54 AM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Iíve been working on 10-22s for about 35 years and have seen all manner of machining errors. Those holes are overdrilled in order to allow the unthreaded part of the vblock screws to pass through the vblock without binding.
If your VBlock fits up true, and the extractor hook is centered in its slot with the barrel seated, it likely wonít cause any problems with function.
Still, itís a new rifle and you have every right as a consumer to return it as a poorly machined part.
Return it if you can-
If you canít- do as someone else already suggested- use a Gunsmither block, which creates much better alignment to push straight back on the barrel- provided that the sharp lip on the barrel is filed down true/perpendicular to the axis of the bore.
Donít overtighten the Vblock screws. 15-20 inch/lb is adequate and will keep you from pulling down on the barrel.

Good luck with your rifle-

DrGunner
Old 03-18-2019, 01:49 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
From an engineering standpoint I am not thrilled with the v-block anyway. Given your situation I would get/use the Gunsmither block and never look back.
Very good advice, Gumsmither makes a much better V-Block...........

Last edited by Tomcat21; 03-18-2019 at 01:53 AM.