How can I make my 10/22 LOUDER - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:04 PM
Hicksville Kid
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How can I make my 10/22 LOUDER

Iíve recently purchased a shot timer for practicing for Steel Challenge. I took it for a spin today and it worked fine with my 22/45 Lite. I clipped it to my shirt chest high and it worked great. The 10/22 was another matter. It would only pick up 2 or 3 of 5 shots. I moved it around and maxed out the sensitivity to no avail. Iíve heard a compensator will help but I donít have a threaded barrel. Do I have to change barrels and add a compensator? Or are there other options? Iím shooting CCI SV and they are great, so Iíd rather not switch ammo.

Wudda ya think?
Old 03-08-2019, 05:20 PM
92lowrider
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Every time you pull the trigger yell "BANG" as load as you can

Sorry, I'm no help but I thought it was funny
Old 03-08-2019, 05:37 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Might need to use a watch with a second hand...

We shoot rimfire steel challenge and I like using a variety of guns. Using a tube fed Remington pump with standard velocity .22 shorts, the noise would not activate the timer at all. They ended up looking at the second hand on a watch and recorded the time that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2019, 05:56 PM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicksville Kid View Post
Iíve recently purchased a shot timer for practicing for Steel Challenge. I took it for a spin today and it worked fine with my 22/45 Lite. I clipped it to my shirt chest high and it worked great. The 10/22 was another matter. It would only pick up 2 or 3 of 5 shots. I moved it around and maxed out the sensitivity to no avail. Iíve heard a compensator will help but I donít have a threaded barrel. Do I have to change barrels and add a compensator? Or are there other options? Iím shooting CCI SV and they are great, so Iíd rather not switch ammo.

Wudda ya think?
You need to get an assistant to hold the timer at arm's length like the RO would do in a match. In reality you would be better off not recording the time and just try to practice shooting fast. It doesn't really matter what your practice time is or does it? It doesn't.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:58 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Stuff a 17 HMR in it.. only good for one usage tho.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:00 PM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Valdina View Post
We shoot rimfire steel challenge and I like using a variety of guns. Using a tube fed Remington pump with standard velocity .22 shorts, the noise would not activate the timer at all. They ended up looking at the second hand on a watch and recorded the time that way.
Must be at best a fun only match. I wouldn't be having much fun if my timed fire was recorded by someone looking at a watch. Just saying.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:20 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Muzzle brake. If your muzzle is not threaded you can get an adapter or a clamp on. It will direct the blast to the side or up depending on which one you get. Do not confuse flash hiders with muzzle brakes. Just in case muzzle brakes are legal in CA but not flash hiders. Oddly they do know the difference.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:27 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Take off the muffer and put on a straight pipe

Oops
Wrong forum....

Try setting the timer Out Toward the muzzle more? (NOT in front of the muzzle)

Last edited by gcrank1; 03-08-2019 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:07 PM
pans858
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
We've had the same issue in our Steel Challenge matches. In my opinion, not a good idea to hold the timer closer to the muzzle... that's potentially unsafe, and it is also distracting to the shooter.

I solved the problem by making some sticks to which the shot timers are attached. Either remove the timer for the pistol shooters, or just choke up on it. On most rifles, holding the shot timer nearer the ejection port is sufficient, but the stick also allows holding the timer near the rifle muzzle, while being unobtrusive and allowing the SO to be safely aside and rearward.

If you orient the timer so you can see the display it is apparent whether it is recording shots. If not, Just be certain to get it right near the end of the string, as time of the last shot is really the only one required.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:54 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Steel Challenge matches, don't take to seriously...

"Must be at best a fun only match. I wouldn't be having much fun if my timed fire was recorded by someone looking at a watch. Just saying."

It is a fun match, at least for most all of us. A few may take it seriously. I have used pump, lever, bolt as well as semi-auto rifles and have used revolvers as well as semi-auto handguns. Of course the times are longer. I like shooting what I have and giving everyone in the gun safe a day at the range from time to time. One thing I have noticed is that there are a lot of mechanical failures with semi-auto guns. I might have started with using a revolver rather than a pistol due to mechanical failures. I don't remember. But with the rifles, I think I end up using iron sights on the non-semi-auto rifles more than the scoped Ruger 10/22.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:12 PM
roddy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Best thread title of the day...made me look.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:14 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Put the steel buffer back in. The clack should set off the timer.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:54 AM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Switch to mini-mags. I wasted the best run of a stage last month because the timer missed a shot. First time I've ever had it happen. CCI SV, Tacsol Compensator on the rifle. I sighted it in for mini-mags and will use that next time around though I'll stick with the SV in the pistol.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:09 AM
Hicksville Kid
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Put the steel buffer back in. The clack should set off the timer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_80 View Post
Switch to mini-mags. I wasted the best run of a stage last month because the timer missed a shot. First time I've ever had it happen. CCI SV, Tacsol Compensator on the rifle. I sighted it in for mini-mags and will use that next time around though I'll stick with the SV in the pistol.
Iíll try both of these. The shoot is tomorrow if it doesnít rain.

I donít know about a Comp as yet. I have a standard 10/22 tapered barrel. Iíll look around for a ďclamp onĒ one for starters.

Thanks for the help.