10/22 Custom Shop Competition tear down, review, range report - Page 8 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:05 PM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbore View Post

Remember how Rod Serling would say "Do not try to adjust your television sets, you're about to enter the Twilight Zone". The summary is, do not try to shoot CCI SV in your RCSC. 4 other types of ammunition functioned almost flawlessly but the SV was problematic.

More on this and two sheets of targets tonight.
This is what I am starting to believe as well. I was planning to shoot quite a bit this weekend but they are calling for rain.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:34 AM
Bigbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

More on this and two sheets of targets tonight.
I shot a box of Aguila Super Extra. I was given a few to try a few weeks back and it flies pretty good for being dirt cheap. I bought a brick and will work with it in my guns. It didn't group great overall but it shot some nice tight clusters within the 10 shot groups. 2 Fail to feed, no fail to extract. They were first and a good warm-up. I designate the groups with "A#" as I mixed in two groups of SV on the right.

CCI SV was problematic. I shot 5 10 shot groups and had 7 fail to feed properly. A few had big visible deposits of wax on the tips and the magazine feed ramp was getting wax deposited on it too. They did turn in some nice clusters if you will throw out one or two from some of the groups.

Sheet one:

Sheet two has three vertical groups of ten. CCI SV on the left, CCI Greentag in the center and Wolf Match Target on the right. The CCI GT turned in the group of the day top center at pretty close to MOA if you let me throw out just one. I think the Wolf will shoot better so I'll continue to work with it also. I don't know what the difference is between the GT and SV but there is definitely something to it. The CCI AR Tactical doesn't shoot out of this barrel, it does great in some of my GM barrels. I shot the three groups across the bottom just to function check the gun. The GT, Wolf and CCI Tac all shot flawlessly; 3 magazines each. The Aguila had only 2 FTF out of 50. CCI SV was miserable.

Sheet two:

I'll catch a calm day someday and tighten them up. You can see there are some high count tight clusters, the gun will shoot. I was using a cheap bipod and my hand to stabilize the rear. Range conditions were poor at best. Most of the first sheet was shot with only one leg of the target stand in a mounting hole, the other hole was hidden under a weed. I figured it out after a couple of rounds but it was just one of the adversities I had to deal with, waiting on the gusts being the worst. I put a tattletail on the target and it was horizontal 90% of the time.

P.S. Round count ~ 540 IIRC.

Last edited by Bigbore; 03-29-2019 at 01:00 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:47 AM
rodent shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Looks like the Green Tag works well for you Bigbore. Pretty much a ragged hole and all were pretty good despite the conditions. My RCSC doesn't really do well with the CCI SV either. It seems to like the hotter loads, especially the Mini Mag Target. I've noticed some complaining about how it feeds hollowpoints-don't think it was made with them in mind although mine feeds the Federal Bulk well.

Just got my BX trigger back from Brimstone today. One pound, eight ounces of pure joy. I'll take it to the range Sat. to see if it helps my groups.

This rifle is really starting to grow on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2019, 10:16 AM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bigbore those groups look fine to me and glad to here it ran well. Thanks for continuing to do real work with this rifle.

Rodent glad to here your trigger turned out so well, I'm planning to get mine to Brimstone soon.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:12 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac Gunner View Post
Bigbore those groups look fine to me and glad to here it ran well. Thanks for continuing to do real work with this rifle.
I love this rifle. IMO, it is just "the total package". I prefer to run it without the muzzle brake to reduce the length and if I could change one thing it would be to reduce the rail to only 20 MOA of adjustment to broaden the choice of scopes, 30 is just too much for 1200 fps 40 grain IMO. It doesn't affect me because I did the math and made sure my scope would work but it may cause a headache for some people. There may be some special application that I'm not aware of that this amount of adjustment lends itself to, but I think it is too much.

I'm really liking the 10 shot groups, I think they tell a better story about the shooter and ammunition. When you start to see 6,7 & 8 shot clusters in a 1.5" group, it is more likely the shooter and not the gun or ammunition.

I'm going to put in a standard charging handle assembly and run 5 or 6 different types of ammo to function test a theory, and then I'm going to clean it and put it away for a while. This rifle is consuming all of my attention, it is like there is nothing else and I have WAY too many other things to do.

Last edited by Bigbore; 03-29-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:23 PM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love mine and am extremely happy I bought it. I understand it getting too much attention though. Recently I've been getting to shoot maybe once a week and it isn't a whole lot but when I'm not shooting the rifle I'm handling the heck out of it. I just enjoy how it feels and looks. I'm really ready to get some time on the range with just myself, the rifle, and about 500 rounds to see what I can truly do with the gun.

I am glad you brought up running the numbers to make sure you have enough scope adjustment. My Mueller is about one full turn off being completely bottomed out. I'm planning to buy a new Primary Arms 4-14 and need to make sure it will zero at 50yds with standard velocity match ammo.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:11 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac Gunner View Post

My Mueller is about one full turn off being completely bottomed out. I'm planning to buy a new Primary Arms 4-14 and need to make sure it will zero at 50yds with standard velocity match ammo.
That is actually pretty good. How many MOA of adjustment do you get per full turn? My Bushnell has a little over a half turn before running out of adjustment; about 3 milliradians(over 4" @ 50 yards) and I don't need any of it. I get just over 2 full turns in either direction, ~11 milliradians, 22 total. Mine is a mildot scope. I used the windage mildots to shoot a lot of my off center groups. At 16 power they fit perfectly inside half of the #8 on the target I used.

I happen to have a new, complete OEM charging handle assembly. I'm going to test a theory that this assembly is over sprung for SV. We'll see. I swear I could hear a distinct sound when it failed to load the SV. I knew to check before pulling the trigger most of the time.

So far, the gun gets a lot of attention at the range. I don't need my ego stroked or my purchase validated,and it distracts from getting work done, but it has happened every time so far. One of the guys that works there couldn't believe that GT group of the day. Rare to see an autoloader cut a ragged 9 shot hole like that at 50 yards.

Last edited by Bigbore; 03-29-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:28 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent shooter View Post

My RCSC doesn't really do well with the CCI SV either. It seems to like the hotter loads, especially the Mini Mag Target.
I think you're on to something here. We'll test it next week.

You guys seeing all that wax on your CCI SV?

Last edited by Bigbore; 03-29-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:48 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is the wax caked on the tips of the CCI SV:

Old 03-30-2019, 06:58 AM
Luvthemtorts

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
That is actually pretty good. How many MOA of adjustment do you get per full turn? My Bushnell has a little over a half turn before running out of adjustment; about 3 milliradians(over 4" @ 50 yards) and I don't need any of it. I get just over 2 full turns in either direction, ~11 milliradians, 22 total. Mine is a mildot scope. I used the windage mildots to shoot a lot of my off center groups. At 16 power they fit perfectly inside half of the #8 on the target I used.

I happen to have a new, complete OEM charging handle assembly. I'm going to test a theory that this assembly is over sprung for SV. We'll see. I swear I could hear a distinct sound when it failed to load the SV. I knew to check before pulling the trigger most of the time.

So far, the gun gets a lot of attention at the range. I don't need my ego stroked or my purchase validated,and it distracts from getting work done, but it has happened every time so far. One of the guys that works there couldn't believe that GT group of the day. Rare to see an autoloader cut a ragged 9 shot hole like that at 50 yards.

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised by using a lighter charging handle spring.

In desperation, on yesterday's outing I used the lightest spring in the kit from Kidd and the gun rolls through CCI SV, and even several subsonic loads.
Still no joy with any brand hollow point I'm afraid.

The lighter spring also alleviated a huge majority of the failure to eject issues.

I am thankful the idea hit my while at the range because I was right on the verge of selling the gun for a significant loss.

For those having issues, I'd highly recommend giving it a whirl since it's a small price to pay to alleviate some huge headaches.

Last edited by Luvthemtorts; 03-30-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:40 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvthemtorts View Post
I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised by using a lighter charging handle spring.

In desperation, on yesterday's outing I used the lightest spring in the kit from Kidd and the gun rolls through CCI SV, and even several subsonic loads.
Still no joy with any brand hollow point I'm afraid.

The lighter spring also alleviated a huge majority of the failure to eject issues.

I am thankful the idea hit my while at the range because I was right on the verge of selling the gun for a significant loss.

For those having issues, I'd highly recommend giving it a whirl since it's a small price to pay to alleviate some huge headaches.
The supplied spring actually lends itself to modification, coil clipping. If we can nail down the formula, it can probably be done without cost.

Thanks for the testing! I'll try to get some confirmation early next week and encourage others to try a lighter spring to see if we can get a larger sample size.

P.S. I was going to say "Nice pair" but it just sounded wrong!

Last edited by Bigbore; 03-30-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:54 AM
Pizzmo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello! I'm new to the group, but I also am having a problem with the CCI sv. I have only put maybe 300 rounds thru the the rifle and most, if not all, have been Federal 36 grain, copper plated, hollow points. these were the Black Friday Black box specials. They work like a champ , but the CCI sv will not feed. I'm sending my rifle back to Ruger this week, I'm very disappointed right now.
Oh by the way I also have a Precision Rimfire Rifle, love it too!
Old 04-04-2019, 03:25 PM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzmo View Post
Hello! I'm new to the group, but I also am having a problem with the CCI sv. I have only put maybe 300 rounds thru the the rifle and most, if not all, have been Federal 36 grain, copper plated, hollow points. these were the Black Friday Black box specials. They work like a champ , but the CCI sv will not feed. I'm sending my rifle back to Ruger this week, I'm very disappointed right now.
Oh by the way I also have a Precision Rimfire Rifle, love it too!
Sorry to hear you too are having problems. Seems like at this point CCI SV is the culprit of most people's problems which is disappointing. Hopefully all you who have sent them back to Ruger will be returned a properly functioning rifle. I have tried any SV recently to see how mine is doing after running high velocity through it.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:54 PM
Johnthebaptism

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Sorry to hear you too are having problems. Seems like at this point CCI SV is the culprit of most people's problems which is disappointing. Hopefully all you who have sent them back to Ruger will be returned a properly functioning rifle. I have tried any SV recently to see how mine is doing after running high velocity through it.
Looks I dodge a bullet or 5000 rounds of them since i was on the fence between sv or mini mags for 5000 round case
Old 04-04-2019, 08:06 PM
Tn-maddog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnthebaptism View Post
Looks I dodge a bullet or 5000 rounds of them since i was on the fence between sv or mini mags for 5000 round case
I bought 2500 rounds of CCI SV. I sent my rifle back to see what they can do. It is supposed to be delivered back to me tomorrow. Sure hope it does better.