10/22 Custom Shop Competition tear down, review, range report - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:32 PM
Bigbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnthebaptism View Post
I zeroed my rifle at 50 and my scope's adjustments are pretty much in the middle. I was expecting to have to compensate for the 30 moa rail.

If you guys looks at your screw on top of the barrel under the rail that is supposed to reduce barrel droop, can you guys see the thread remaining on the screw? My screw is still showing some thread and it looks like I can turn it in some more but its already really tight. Let me know your thoughts.

My barrel also lean slightly to the left but only after I tighten the receiver to the stock. If I just rest the barrel and receiver in the stock without tightening it, it lays perfectly in the middle. This left leaning is only noticable if you are really OCD, it is less than 2mm at the very end of stock on the barrel end.

I was able to get a little less than 1 inch at 50 yards with cci mini mags and it is my 2nd time shooting any rifle ever. I shot 200 rounds and had zero feeding/extracting issue. You will have to strip and clean or else you will have reliability issues since all the tolerances are so tight, I would expect this of all "competition or match grade" rifle. I think for $650, it is the best semi 22lr you can get with a full factory warranty on all the parts.
When you say your scope adjustment is in the middle, you mean you did not have to adjust the scope down at all to compensate for the 30 MOA rail? I had to adjust somewhere around 8 milradians. I calculated 8.3 and an online conversion site gave me 8.9 IIRC. My scope has ~9.4 in one direction. It came out pretty comfortably around 8 somewhere, I'm not exactly sure, but I'm nowhere near bottomed out and I should be able to dial out to 175 yards before going to mildots. I doubt I'll every shoot nearly that far.

I haven't looked at the barrel droop feature yet. I've spent WAY too much time fooling around with the rifle so far but I suspect eventually I'll get there.

I'm really shining a light on the barrel channel and am in the process of confirming any dimensional flaw in the receiver machining. Had I not made a big issue out of it, it may have gone unnoticed by 90% of shooters and so far owners are getting great results as is. I am also going to investigate if there is stress being put on the receiver/barrel assembly by the stock, but it will be an ongoing process and I am going to shoot the heck out of it as is for a while. I really like it.

CCI SV, CCI Tactical, Wolf Target and some Aguila I was given shoot really well and I expect to get these to shoot MOA out of my rifle with a rest. I didn't see the CCI Greentag deliver more than the SV so I'll shoot up what I have left and doubt I'll buy more. The Wolf Target produced the best groups, I've ordered a brick, but I think I can dial in the CCI too. The CSC seems to shoot a variety of the better performing common ammo well.

Last edited by Bigbore; 03-07-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:59 PM
Johnthebaptism

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
When you say your scope adjustment is in the middle, you mean you did not have to adjust the scope down at all to compensate for the 30 MOA rail?
Yes, I didn't have to adjust my scope down at all to compensate for the 30 moa rail. If it didn't come with the 30 moa rail I assume i would have to dial my scope up by 30 moa.

I was wondering if this is caused by my top barrel screw not screwed in all the way since i can still see some thread exposed on that screw.

Can you check to see if your top barrel screw looks like its not screwed in all the way? I tried to screw in the remaining threads on it but its already tight and I didnt want to strip anything. I even loosen the bottom v block screw first to make sure theres no downward pressure from it.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:17 PM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I took a couple of boys I work with out to my range on lunch (benefit of having a private range 5mins from where I work) and both of them were able to run my KYL rack at 50yds on their first try, it goes down to 1/4" target. They were also both able to land rounds on a 2" target at 100yds with ease. The more I shoot the rifle the hapoier I am about trading in my Ruger American target and getting the CSC.

When I sighted mine in at 50yds I ran the elevation all the way down and came up about a turn and a half. I'm not sure of a specific moa or mil amount, I don't pay much mind to my turrets as I just use the mildots to hold over, I do know each click is an 1/8" at 50yds.

I will check my top barrel screw tonight when I clean the rifle. Now that the rifle has gotten dirty I am having the same issue I described in my review. It will load a round but not fire. Cycle the bolt and the round stays in the chamber. Pull the trigger again and it fires, loads a round and then you have to do it again. We had this happen about 8 times today but then it would go a whole magazine with no issue. I'm using CCI SV. I'm not sure if it is where the tolerances are tighter and once the bolt face gets dirty it cause the bolt to sit just a smidge too far off the rim to get a solid primer strike or if it is the ammo. The last time it did this I cleaned it and it got about 150-170 rounds through it before it started doing it today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2019, 03:12 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Yes, I didn't have to adjust my scope down at all to compensate for the 30 moa rail. If it didn't come with the 30 moa rail I assume i would have to dial my scope up by 30 moa.

I was wondering if this is caused by my top barrel screw not screwed in all the way since i can still see some thread exposed on that screw.

Can you check to see if your top barrel screw looks like its not screwed in all the way? I tried to screw in the remaining threads on it but its already tight and I didnt want to strip anything. I even loosen the bottom v block screw first to make sure theres no downward pressure from it.
I would suspect the scope. If the turret is centered and it is on target, either your mounts or scope are off. All things being proper, A centered turret should send them over the top of the target.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:27 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac Gunner View Post

When I sighted mine in at 50yds I ran the elevation all the way down and came up about a turn and a half. I'm not sure of a specific moa or mil amount, I don't pay much mind to my turrets as I just use the mildots to hold over, I do know each click is an 1/8" at 50yds.

Now that the rifle has gotten dirty I am having the same issue I described in my review. It will load a round but not fire. Cycle the bolt and the round stays in the chamber. Pull the trigger again and it fires, loads a round and then you have to do it again. We had this happen about 8 times today but then it would go a whole magazine with no issue. I'm using CCI SV. I'm not sure if it is where the tolerances are tighter and once the bolt face gets dirty it cause the bolt to sit just a smidge too far off the rim to get a solid primer strike or if it is the ammo. The last time it did this I cleaned it and it got about 150-170 rounds through it before it started doing it today.
I'm not a scope dialer but I did take the time to figure it all out because of the extreme amount of elevation built into the rail. I strongly advise others to do the math at least once before scoping.

I forgot to mention that the light strike scenario you mentioned happened to me exactly as you describe it on the first round I tried to shoot at the range. I pulled the bolt back and it failed to eject the cartridge but another pull of the trigger sent the bullet on its way and that problem never occurred again. I've only shot about 130 rounds so far. My trip to the range turned into an impromptu shoot party with the guys that were there, it was hard to get any serious work done.

When I was writing up my review on the main forum, I mentioned that I fired 3 and cleaned between rounds. I photographed the 3 strikes, posted them and then, again, sat back and waited for comment. None. Nobody found it odd that a guy posts strikes for no reason. The strikes looked shallow from the edge to me and didn't have the "brass smear" upwards that is typical of the unpinned OEM. Perhaps a poor execution of the venerable "pinning". Maybe a poor pin face? Extracting issues will probably fall into the same category as all of the other well documented tight chamber offerings.

Last edited by Bigbore; 03-07-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:31 PM
Johnthebaptism

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

I would suspect the scope. If the turret is centered and it is on target, either your mounts or scope are off. All things being proper, A centered turret should send them over the top of the target.
It might be my warne scope mount then. The mount closest to the eye piece is on the last notch of the rail. I wonder if that is causing but I would assume the 30 moa offset is throughout the whole rail and not just a section of it.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:47 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
It might be my warne scope mount then. The mount closest to the eye piece is on the last notch of the rail. I wonder if that is causing but I would assume the 30 moa offset is throughout the whole rail and not just a section of it.
The rail should be high in the back closest to the shooter and slope downward toward the front away from the shooter. It points the scope downward forcing the shooter to elevate physically necessitating clicking/dialing the scope down to get the POI on target.

You can probably measure it at the front and the back. A sine calculator can produce the numbers.

P.S. maybe the mount has droop built in and it is backward cancelling out the rail droop?

Last edited by Bigbore; 03-07-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:08 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm going to move my targets to this post since this is the unofficial RCSC repository.

All targets 50 Yards. All 10 shot groups:

I'm also going to give up the "Mystery". I shot these two last. I removed the rear receiver screw because I am skeptical about the claimed benefits. They turned out to be my best groups and you can see that with two types of ammo, excluding two shots in each group, the gun was stacking them! I don't necessarily think the rear hold down screw interferes with accuracy, I think it might be a fool proof work-around for a poor fitting receiver. Get the receiver fit right and it is not necessary IMO. Getting warmed up and a better target sheet probably helped most.

Last edited by Bigbore; 03-07-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:50 PM
Luvthemtorts

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
For those who have mentioned occasionally having to assist the bolt forward the chamber, I would encourage you to pull that round and examine it.

This is what I found was happening with mine when it didn't go completely into battery by itself.
The gun would chamber and fire if assisted forward but as you can see, the varying degrees of damage were completely unacceptable.

Mine has since been rebarreled by Ruger and the problem has largely been eliminated with round nose soft points. Hollow points still wreak havoc and aren't worth the effort of even trying.

And For those who might doubt it's accuracy potential, here is my current best 5 shot group with cheap Automatch at 50 yards.

Last edited by Luvthemtorts; 03-07-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:13 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvthemtorts View Post
For those who have mentioned occasionally having to assist the bolt forward the chamber, I would encourage you to pull that round and examine it.

This is what I found was happening with mine when it didn't go completely into battery by itself.
The gun would chamber and fire if assisted forward but as you can see, the varying degrees of damage were completely unacceptable.

Mine has since been rebarreled by Ruger and the problem has largely been eliminated with round nose soft points. Hollow points still wreak havoc and aren't worth the effort of even trying.

And For those who might doubt it's accuracy potential, here is my current best 5 shot group with cheap Automatch at 50 yards.

There probably will be some issues, and early adopters like us will have to sort them out, but I think this rifle is going to be quite a good value " straight out of the box".

As I stated, my first range session was out of the box with only a barrel cleaning.

I've only had one so far that got shaved like the rounds you show.

Last edited by Bigbore; 03-07-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:22 PM
Johnthebaptism

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvthemtorts View Post
That happened to me. I then isolate it to 1 magazine then I isolate it to only the last round in that magazine. Everytime, the last round in that particular magazine always mis-feed. 1 magazine came with the gun and I bought a new 3 pack and it was the one in the 3 pack that cause problems. I just stopped using that one particular magazine and everything ran perfectly for 200 rounds so far. I think it has something to do with the rotary spring but I'm a new shooter so I am not that motivated to find the root cause for now since I still have 3 other magazine to use.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:37 PM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My rifle feeds fine and doesn't shave the bullet at all, it just doesn't fire on the first strike everytime. I am going to continue to do work on figuring it out and pay more attention to which magazine I am using. I have had my mags labeled for years but haven't paid attention to which one I am using when I have the problem.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:32 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tac Gunner, Have you tried the thread protector from the Target Lite on the CSC? It probably fits. If it does, I would like to order one from Ruger.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:19 AM
rodent shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Custom Competition Quirks

I have noticed that the blow comp on my Ruger CC loosens up after around 100 rounds fired. No lock washer or crush washer so I might blue Loctite it. I like to take it off to clean the barrel as the patches fall off inside of it a lot.
My chamber also was shaving lead at first on a rare occasion. I remedied that by a few light passes with a chamber iron and then polished inside with a mop soaked with Flitz. No more shaving lead. The only ammo that doesn't come out by gravity when chambered on the disassembled is the Winchester 555 bulk which I measured at .224 in. at the bullet crimp. All other ammo I measured miked at .223 to .2235 in. and dropped free when the barrel is inverted. Try the ammo you are having trouble with by chambering it and then pouring it out. The case should only swell a little after firing. My friend also has a Ruger CC and his comp. loosened up on the first firing session and was rarely ( like 3 times in 100 rounds) shaving lead. So far there has only been minor issues and they seem to go away as it gets more rounds through it.
Does anyone know if the production of this model is still ceasing after 1500 units?
If you don't get one soon , Mr. T would say "pity the fool"
Old 03-08-2019, 06:55 AM
Tac Gunner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bigbore the TL thread protector works just fine.

Rodent my comp came loose after about the first 100 but I cleaned the threads off and gave it a few good cranks and have not had any issues since. I had not heard of the 1500 limit but if that is the case I'm glad I got one as I kind of figured it wouldn't be in production long. Mine is #731.