Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:45 PM
gr8guns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Dan Wesson .22

Guys and Gals, I truly would like to see the Dan Wesson Revolver brought back in

.22 long rifle. I had one , stolen in a break in, and tried replacing it with a

different brand, but I wonder if there is anyone else that would like to see that

revolver offered by CZ. Thoughts?
Old 03-02-2019, 10:47 PM
lonestardiver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I hear you, while I have the pistol pack in .22lr, it did come with an additional cylinder and crane for .22mag.

One of the finer .22lr revolvers I have ever shot.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:47 PM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I would like to see all the Dan Wesson revolvers back in production, but all CZ is interested in is the 1911 market.

≡✪≡
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2019, 10:59 PM
lonestardiver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 View Post
I would like to see all the Dan Wesson revolvers back in production, but all CZ is interested in is the 1911 market.

I can understand that, that is where the money is. Revolvers arenít cool to the masses these days.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:39 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dan Wesson revolvers were revolutionary with their changeable barrels held in tension by their shroud design. But they were not very popular despite their superior accuracy. Maybe they were just the right gun at the wrong point in time as revolver ownership was diminishing.

I have owned a DW22, a 357Magnum, and a 357Maximum versions, all bought many decades ago. Every one had to go back to the factory for a broken extractor assembly in the day. They all shoot stellar, though. The 22 is gone many years ago. The 357Magnum is with my adult son. The 357 Maximum has not been shot in a year or more.

But not all is rosy. We recently decided the long barrel of the 357 was too cumbersome and attempted to change it out for a 4 inch barrel and shroud. But it seems the Never-Seize compound I used on the barre nut threads decided to turn to cement. I tried every mechanical scheme to unscrew the retaining nut (access is limited as it is back inside the shroud), to no avail. I finally had to cut the shroud with a hacksaw to get access to the shroud retaining nut. I was able to remove and change out the barrel but at the loss of the longer shroud.

I rarely shoot revolvers anymore (I still have several) unless I schedule them in my shooting plans. I love my S&W revolvers but love my semi-auto's more, it seems, base on how often I shoot the revolvers.

Should CZ bring back the Dan Wesson revolvers? I don't really think so. The time for them has passed. CZ has better things to do: like continue to make great semi-auto pistols and great rifles (I have many CZ's and love them all).

LDBennett
Old 03-03-2019, 11:04 AM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
They make the 715.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBennett View Post
Dan Wesson revolvers were revolutionary with their changeable barrels held in tension by their shroud design. But they were not very popular despite their superior accuracy. Maybe they were just the right gun at the wrong point in time as revolver ownership was diminishing.

I have owned a DW22, a 357Magnum, and a 357Maximum versions, all bought many decades ago. Every one had to go back to the factory for a broken extractor assembly in the day. They all shoot stellar, though. The 22 is gone many years ago. The 357Magnum is with my adult son. The 357 Maximum has not been shot in a year or more.

But not all is rosy. We recently decided the long barrel of the 357 was too cumbersome and attempted to change it out for a 4 inch barrel and shroud. But it seems the Never-Seize compound I used on the barre nut threads decided to turn to cement. I tried every mechanical scheme to unscrew the retaining nut (access is limited as it is back inside the shroud), to no avail. I finally had to cut the shroud with a hacksaw to get access to the shroud retaining nut. I was able to remove and change out the barrel but at the loss of the longer shroud.

I rarely shoot revolvers anymore (I still have several) unless I schedule them in my shooting plans. I love my S&W revolvers but love my semi-auto's more, it seems, base on how often I shoot the revolvers.

Should CZ bring back the Dan Wesson revolvers? I don't really think so. The time for them has passed. CZ has better things to do: like continue to make great semi-auto pistols and great rifles (I have many CZ's and love them all).

LDBennett
My point was they still make the 357, why not the .22 ?
Old 03-03-2019, 11:20 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There were two frame sizes: 22/357 and the larger one for 357Maximum and larger cartridges. Obviously the firing pins are different between the 22 and the 357Magnum but you would think the 22 version is a no brainer for production today. It may be the market is just not there.

CZ is no slouch outfit. They came from nowhere in about 2000 (when the embargo on communist country products was lifted) to a competitor for most American gun manufacturers. In the process they gave us excellent well made accurate guns across the board. Their market studies may indicate a minimal viable market for a 22 revolver (??).

My testing of my DW 22 showed it to be more accurate than any of the semi-auto or even the famed Model 17 S&W (had one of those at the time) I had at the time when shot off bags. But once I shot it standing the semi-auto's won every time. I do not know why. So those two 22 revolvers got passed on.

LDBennett
Old 03-03-2019, 12:42 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Smile Dan Wesson revolvers

I've really enjoyed shooting mine in silhouette competitions.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:00 PM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dan Wesson had a close relationship with the then national silhouette association of the 1980's. They were very popular in those competitions. I considered the 357Maximum thinking I might like that kind of competition but backed down once I saw how good of a shooter you had to be. I like the DW SuperMag in 357 Maximum so I bought one in the late 1980's. I later bought a 357 Magnum for my son and just had to try their 22. My son really like the DW 357 Magnum. I sold the 22.

LDBennett
Old 03-03-2019, 01:29 PM
Keeley
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
DW

I likeum
Old 03-03-2019, 04:29 PM
shagg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had 2 of the 22's a stainless and a blued sold the blued one a few years ago but just picked one up off gunbroker last week awaiting it to arrive, if CZ start making them they need to be in the price range that can be competitive with the 617 or Gp100.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:59 PM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guns View Post
My point was they still make the 357, why not the .22 ?
Probably because no one would pay over $1000 to buy a new .22 Dan Wesson. The main reason their new 715's aren't very popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL SHOOTER View Post
I've really enjoyed shooting mine in silhouette competitions.
Absolutely! I still have my couple dozen Dan Wessons and still shoot them in IHMSA matches.

There were a lot of QC problems in the early days of Dan Wesson. Many of them were sent back to the factory to correct them...I sent a couple of mine back...but when they were fixed, they were outstanding guns, and they fixed them for free. Kinda of hard to make money when you have to build a gun twice and sell it once.

≡✪≡
Old 03-03-2019, 10:16 PM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
If the 715s are holding up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 View Post
Probably because no one would pay over $1000 to buy a new .22 Dan Wesson. The main reason their new 715's aren't very popular.

Absolutely! I still have my couple dozen Dan Wessons and still shoot them in IHMSA matches.

There were a lot of QC problems in the early days of Dan Wesson. Many of them were sent back to the factory to correct them...I sent a couple of mine back...but when they were fixed, they were outstanding guns, and they fixed them for free. Kinda of hard to make money when you have to build a gun twice and sell it once.
I'm pretty sure the growing pains and early design flaws were dealt with by

CZ.

If the 715s are holding up now, no reason a rim fire shouldn't. There is a

market for anything that shoots these days....The 617 Smith and Wesson

revolvers I have wouldn't shoot with my Dan Wesson, and some .22 revolvers

are selling for a lot more than a thousand. I have an older 617 , six shot, and

because I am a glutton for punishment, I just bought a new 617. It came in

trashed, with dents in the lug, and an area that had not been polished and

buffed the size of a dime. It is off to Smith and Wesson as we speak, and I bet

a big cup of tea it will have to go back at least twice.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:55 AM
rimfiresrule2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I bought a seized- upped .357, unknown to me and put the wrench thingy in a vice and turned the gun off the thingy. The wrench was trashed but I used the metal part to make a new one which has worked for years. I doubt that CZ would do well with a .22, at least in sales.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:13 PM
Neal77

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bought a new 8" 22 back in 1978. I didn't use it much until years later and found it didn't shoot well. Sent it back to DW and they found the cylinder was bad. They were under new owners at that time and charged me about $70 for a new cylinder. It wouldn't chamber a round when they returned it. Was told someone at the repair center must have dry fired it before returning it. They repaired it right the second time. At that point it would out shoot my S&W M41! Sold it about 10 years ago. One of the few guns I wish I had back !