Single Six Opinions? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:49 PM
Spunk_Puppy
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Single Six Opinions?

I have this vision in my mind of the 5.5” blued Single Six .22 convertible.

My plans are to use it as a trail gun. Carry it with the magnum cylinder and Speer Gold Dot .22 WMR loads for defense against rabid yotes etc. and even people if need be, but have the .22LR cylinder and ammo in my day pack for plinking and small game hunting.

Seems versatile. Also would be using it with the LR cylinder for target practice and the range and also plinking tin cans and whatnot.

So are the new Single Sixes junk? Seems any time anyone ever mentioned getting a gun that’s been out for some time, they always say “the new ones aren’t nearly as good as the old ones” so does that ring true in this case? I’d prefer new but not if they’re no good.

Thanks!

-S. puppy.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:35 PM
Trabzon
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Trail Gun

I've had my 5.5 inch barrel two screw Single Six for about 10 years. To me it is a perfect trail gun. I keep the magnum cylinder in it at all times. This being Arizona, in the first cylinder to come under the hammer, I have a snake load. After that, hollow points.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:39 PM
Spunk_Puppy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabzon View Post
I've had my 5.5 inch barrel two screw Single Six for about 10 years. To me it is a perfect trail gun. I keep the magnum cylinder in it at all times. This being Arizona, in the first cylinder to come under the hammer, I have a snake load. After that, hollow points.
THATíS what Iím talking about!! Glad you use it now I imagined it could be used. In my area, there are 0 bears or anything big like that so Iím thinking the .22 Magnum should be more than enough out of the 5.5Ē barrel and like I mentioned I can carry the LR cylinder and a pouch full of shells for cheap fun shooting and game getting.

Are the new Single Sixes accurate enough for such purposes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2019, 06:56 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a new model Hunter with 7.5" barrel and had and old three screw with 6 and 5/8" barrel. The old one only wishes it could shoot like the new one and I doubt the extra inch in barrel length is the difference.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:17 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ive had all three lengths and for a piece that gets more carry time than shootin' time I prefer the 4 5/8" (or whatever it is).
For a while I used the mag cylinder as the walkabout then decided to just carry a bigger caliber for more serious possibilities.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:08 PM
shootbrownelk
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For a trail gun I'd get that single-six or single-10 in stainless.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:05 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bought one new several years ago. In stainless. It's accurate with both .22lr and the WMR. Get one, you'll enjoy it. They're superb revolvers.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:51 AM
Spunk_Puppy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks! I am NOT interested in the stainless steel guns because I greatly preferred the blues ones and itís 6 ounces less weight to carry about. The alloy framed blued model is a lot lighter.

Also, thereís something about the six shots that appeals to me, and I certainly do not want to be limited to just magnums or just LRs like the Single 9 and Single 10 rare respectively.

So the newíns are good to go, rimbusterbuddys?
Old 03-03-2019, 10:44 AM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Blue or stainless is personal preference. The accuracy should be equivalent. New Model blued Single Sixes can be found for really good bargains today. At the time, I was shopping, the spread in price between new and used Stainless was around $50ish. Not enough savings IMO.

As a field gun, I prefer the added drop safety of New Model's transfer bar. Load six and there's no firing pin in a position to make contact with a live round. This is right in line with your stated use.

Plus, if by chance you buy a dud, Ruger customer service is top notch and they stand behind their products.

Last edited by Bradical; 03-03-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:52 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Any half-way serious revolver and rimfire fan should try a Ruger Single Six at some point, iffn ya dont yer just a slacker
Old 03-03-2019, 11:34 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a 5.5 inch stainless SS until I bought my first stainless Bearcat. At little over half the size of a SS, and 2/3 the weight (24 oz), the Bearcat beat the SS hands down and I sold the SS. Bought a second Bearcat..........I really like them having a loading notch, like a Colt SAA.

If you want some extra oomph, you can use Velocitors or Stingers. The Bearcat can easily take it; there are custom Bearcats chambered in .32.

Last edited by bearcatter; 03-03-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:38 AM
Four52 shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
So are the new Single Sixes junk? Seems any time anyone ever mentioned getting a gun that’s been out for some time, they always say “the new ones aren’t nearly as good as the old ones” so does that ring true in this case? I’d prefer new but not if they’re no good.
I bought my 5.5" Single Six new almost 20 years ago but if I wanted another I would not be afraid of buying a brand new one.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:48 AM
MPBde84

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the exact Single Six that you are considering. I wear it on my hip with an old leather Hunter brand holster that I had cut down and stitched to the proper length. When I am working on the family ranch it is loaded with 22 WMR and is a trusty companion. I have noticed that my particular revolver prefers the mags better than the long rifles. In my lifetime I have purchased and traded quite a few guns, however my Single Six has been with me for well over 20 years. I highly recommend this model and barrel length.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:46 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
whats not to like , these are great revolvers in any length
Old 04-03-2019, 05:49 PM
gunsisme
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I have 2 of the Ruger single six's. One is an older 3 screw 6.5 bbl never converted and a New convertible single six 5.5 bbl both are very accurate