Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:27 PM
Bigbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
2019 Ruger "Competition"

Was there already a thread on this?

Ruger is incorporating most of the aftermarket modifications into this offering. I think they're reading here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI_V...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Bigbore; 01-23-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:10 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
that is NICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbore View Post
Was there already a thread on this?

Ruger is incorporating most of the aftermarket modifications into this offering. I think they're reading here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI_V...ature=youtu.be
wonder what they will sell for on the street? last shot hold open ? hum ? looks like they incorporated the auto bolt release, finally !! LOL
Old 01-24-2019, 04:28 AM
Furluge
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was looking at these myself. Street price here is $640-$670.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2019, 07:34 AM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furluge View Post
I was looking at these myself. Street price here is $640-$670.
I saw a price online at Impact Guns which was $730.

I was running the numbers in my head and $730 is close to a base model with aftermarket upgrades. The scope rail looks like it is machined into the receiver. The receiver has a tab looking section at the rear which may be some type of hold-down scheme, oversize bolt knob, extended mag release, muzzle brake, upgraded trigger group, "tighter chamber"(Hmmmm?) and auto bolt release. Quite a fair price if it can be had for $650.

I believe I heard free floated barrel. If that is the case, It will be interesting to see how they do it.

At least they are watching what the high performance group is doing with an open mind. This and the Ruger Precision bolt gun are finger on the pulse offerings IMO.

Last edited by Bigbore; 01-24-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:59 AM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
I saw a price online at Impact Guns which was $730.

I was running the numbers in my head and $730 is close to a base model with aftermarket upgrades. The scope rail looks like it is machined into the receiver. The receiver has a tab looking section at the rear which may be some type of hold-down scheme, oversize bolt knob, extended mag release, muzzle brake, upgraded trigger group, "tighter chamber"(Hmmmm?) and auto bolt release. Quite a fair price if it can be had for $650.

I believe I heard free floated barrel. If that is the case, It will be interesting to see how they do it.

At least they are watching what the high performance group is doing with an open mind. This and the Ruger Precision bolt gun are finger on the pulse offerings IMO.
What recipe would you use to build a rifle with a comparable aftermarket receiver and stock for $730. To even get close the Ruger barrel would have to be GTG.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:36 AM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
What recipe would you use to build a rifle with a comparable aftermarket receiver and stock for $730. To even get close the Ruger barrel would have to be GTG.
Tastes will vary WILDLY, but to answer your question I have been very happy with these Archangel stocks:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/33...0-22-synthetic

and I have two Green Mountain tapered bull barrels that I paid ~$120 shipped IIRC and I can't rave about their price/performance enough.

These match the features of the new Ruger offering with the exception of the scope rail which can be had for about $35 as an aftermarket offering.

The receiver with integrated scope rail will drive up the price if replaced in its entirety. Aftermarket bolt-ons have served thousands well for decades so that would have to be the choice in this scenario. Having said that, you make the case for the value of the new offering although there will be some that don't like something about it like the stock for instance.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:46 PM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK, its official, rear receiver hold-down screw and a slightly different barrel mount, "top and bottom". The bolt is "milled stainless, nitrite coated", not additive manufacturing.On a different video I believe they said cleaning hole in the back of the receiver. Yeow!

Aftermarket suppliers are under pressure now. Ruger is delivering the total package.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj4r5yGZVfM
Old 02-05-2019, 08:49 AM
chuckbiscuits

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Whatís not to love? Milled billet receiver with integral picatinny rail, rear receiver hold down, no barrel droop, nitrided CNC SS bolt, sweet hammer-forged barrel with tight chamber AND threaded with a muzzle brake. Wonder what trigger they put in it...from the length of pull, it appears to be a BX. Never thought Iíd need another 10/22, but Iím all atwitter!!
Old 02-05-2019, 09:01 AM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbiscuits View Post
Whatís not to love?

it appears to be a BX.

Never thought Iíd need another 10/22, but Iím all atwitter!!
I think the first video says BX trigger. I can't imagine it would be anything else.

If I can pick one up locally for around $675, I'm probably in. The phrase "screaming deal" is so cliched but...
Old 02-05-2019, 09:17 AM
linux_author
US Coast Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i like the new rifle, but a few interesting quotes from new owners:

"Unfortunately I never got more than two shots sequentially because of numerous double feeds and FTE. It was brutal but I managed to get around 50 rounds downrange in 1.5 hours."

"Spent casings just don't want to eject, so perhaps the extractor isn't fit properly."

"Non-stop failures to extract, failures to feed, double feeds, stop piped and multiple light primer strikes with different Ammo, different mags, and changes made of their current mag. This thing is going back! Ruger UP YOUR QA!"

"Sent it to Ruger. They have to replace the whole receiver and ship it to my FFL because itís technically a new gun."

i understand this happens with any firearm, but i would think that something coming out of a "Custom Shop" would indicate better QC... but then again there is S&W's "Performance Center," which I understand hasn't 'performed' to some new owners' expectations?

unfortunately, if these new 'features' of the design trickle down to the regular line, will some 10/22 basic parts change and older design parts be eliminated?

(yes, i know there are *millions* of current/older 10/22 parts out in the wild)

and it looks like Ruger finally got around to the idea of a slingshot release for the 10/22, but didn't take as long as the quick-release for the Mark IV pistols?

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico
Old 02-05-2019, 09:39 AM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by linux_author View Post
i like the new rifle, but a few interesting quotes from new owners:

i understand this happens with any firearm, but i would think that something coming out of a "Custom Shop" would indicate better QC... but then again there is S&W's "Performance Center," which I understand hasn't 'performed' to some new owners' expectations?

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico
While these are legitimate concerns, a search of this forum will probably not exclude ANY manufacturer of this design from having some issues. Tighter tolerances leave less room for error. At the end of the day the good companies support their products and resolve the problems. Ruger is a name most will want in their corner.

There is nothing new here, Ruger just wants to compete for a share of the market we have created. My guess is these guns will fly off the shelf.

Last edited by Bigbore; 02-05-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:48 AM
linux_author
US Coast Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
While these are legitimate concerns, a search of this forum will probably not exclude ANY manufacturer of this design from having some issues. Tighter tolerances leave less room for error. At the end of the day the good companies support their products and resolve them. There is nothing new here, Ruger is just getting their share of the market we have created.

My guess is these guns will fly off the shelf.
i would have guessed some feed/extraction problems due to low-quality rimfire and the chambering of this new rifle? i'm no expert, but i thought that target or general plinking rimfire was aimed for use on certain barrels?

i'd like to now more about this 'specification' from Ruger for the rifle, and how the chambering differs from standard, Bentz, target, etc.:

"Proprietary, enhanced semi-auto chamber proven to increase accuracy and precision while not compromising reliable feeding and extraction."

i'd like to learn how to measure the chambering of the 10/22 family's variety of barrels (still a n00b to the 10/22)

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico
Old 02-05-2019, 10:02 AM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by linux_author View Post
i would have guessed some feed/extraction problems due to low-quality rimfire and the chambering of this new rifle?

Know more about this 'specification' from Ruger for the rifle, and how the chambering differs from standard, Bentz, target, etc.:

"Proprietary, enhanced semi-auto chamber proven to increase accuracy and precision while not compromising reliable feeding and extraction."

i'd like to learn how to measure the chambering of the 10/22 family's variety of barrels (still a n00b to the 10/22)

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico
It will be tough to know at this point but my guess would be any extraction issues would probably be a result of the new chambering and the design's sub-optimal extractor which was designed for the loose chamber. They'll probably need to dial that in. Hopefully, if I'm right, they improve the quality of the extractor and not reduce the precision of the chamber. Production runs may prove to be a challenge but we all probably agree they know how to make guns and had to have thought of these things.

Last edited by Bigbore; 02-05-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:21 AM
Bigbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
It will be tough to know at this point but my guess would be any extraction issues would probably be a result of the new chambering and the design's sub-optimal extractor which was designed for the loose chamber.
One other thought occurred to me. It would not be fair to think shooting this gun will be like shooting the standard model. The tighter tolerances will require the same attention to ammo selection and maintenance as other higher precision offerings. To think you can run 500 rounds of the filthiest, cheapest ammo through it without a failure is unrealistic.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:45 AM
openspaces

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Maybe I missed it in the videos/website. Is there a last round bolt hold open feature?