Who else still uses Rugers steel bolt buffer ?? - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:05 PM
armtx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I have KIDD buffers in both my LTV's. It seems to have a dampening affect, over the stock steel one.

My guess, several million 10/22's out there. With only God knows how many rounds down the tube, on a OEM buffer.

Lets be honest, none of US knew any better, until we read it here on RFC.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:28 PM
Chard
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I purchased a new carbine back in 1973. Sold it sometime in the eighties. It was the only 10/22 I saw develope elongated hole. It was pretty obvious. It still functioned fine.

I use the Tuffer buffer type in most of mine today. Got a couple of the KIDD buffers.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:37 PM
Westchester Guy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had the OEM steel buffer on my 10/22 for 50 years. I've run 5,000+ rounds thru it. With no apparent bolt hole elongation. I then decide to upgrade. Did my own trigger job, Kidd Bbl, etc. Decided to try Kidds buffer thingy. Bolt no longer makes that noise. As I get older I throw money at this 10/22 and it is now accurate beyond my dreams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2019, 06:47 PM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem-E View Post
I know of a mid 70s 10/22 that a close friends dad bought new that only saw HV brick ammo. after about 40k miles, .

40 thousand miles .......wow!
Old 03-01-2019, 11:34 AM
aztlan
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Many builders say to replace the steel bolt stop with a bolt buffer. If you are asking yourself if you need one? The answer is no. So why do many people recommend them? The answer is you do not hear a clang when the bolt hits the steel bolt stop. People using suppressors can really tell the difference. The rifle shoots quieter with an aftermarket bolt buffers. I like them. I have made my own and have used serval aftermarket buffers. This has nothing to do with accuracy but it does eliminate noise in the receiver. Replacing the steel bolt stop pin with an aftermarket bolt buffer will soften the bolt impact.

Remember, a perfectly tuned 10/22 bolt should barely touch the bolt stop or not at all. The bolt should move back just enough to eject the spent shell, strip, and a new round, and chamber it.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:01 PM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is a bag of 50 OEM steel bolt buffers on eBay auction. No one is bidding!
Old 03-01-2019, 12:57 PM
RCP Phx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't even use Ruger parts, period!
Old 03-01-2019, 01:41 PM
Horsefly
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
aztlan - The bolt should move back just enough to eject the spent shell, strip, and a new round, and chamber it

And re-set (cock) the hammer.