Who else still uses Rugers steel bolt buffer ?? - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:45 AM
Pa22Rimfire
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox34 View Post
But PA22Rimfire, I think the Ruger Target guns come with the BX trigger, rather than the standard crappy OEM unit. And maybe you got a real decent BX, its sort of luck of the draw.

Ferox34
It is not a BX trigger but it is better than the standard OEM trigger that comes on most other 10/22's. I can live with it for now. I may switch it out at some point for a BX.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:25 PM
22/45 Fan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa22Rimfire View Post
It is not a BX trigger but it is better than the standard OEM trigger that comes on most other 10/22's. I can live with it for now. I may switch it out at some point for a BX.
Or, for slightly more money than a BX, send your OEM trigger group to Brimstone Gunsmithing for their Tier 2 trigger job. You will also get the auto-bolt release upgrade at no extra cost. You will be pleased.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:50 PM
joe45c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22/45 Fan View Post
Or, for slightly more money than a BX, send your OEM trigger group to Brimstone Gunsmithing for their Tier 2 trigger job. You will also get the auto-bolt release upgrade at no extra cost. You will be pleased.
Dids that about 4 years ago, and really happy with the results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2019, 05:14 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
If anyone needs OEM's I have approx. 60 in a bag When that total reaches about 100 I am gunna make that bag full into a boat anchor.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:55 PM
Ferox34
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
throwing away money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
If anyone needs OEM's I have approx. 60 in a bag When that total reaches about 100 I am gunna make that bag full into a boat anchor.
Plain Jane OEM trigger groups go for $30-$35 on ebay, send them to me, I'll sell 'em.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:51 PM
sevendozen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2omike View Post
Randy at CPC uses Nylon. If you send your gun there for a tune-up, it will come back with a nylon bolt stop. He knows more about these guns than anyone else here, so I'll go with what he likes. .
I have no doubt this guy know has forgotten more about 10/22 than I will ever know. However, I would be apprehensive about using a nylon. I'm not saying "it doesn't work" I'm saying I would be apprehensive. Especially in New England.

Nylon is a semi-crystalline polymer, and not only does it have a melt temperature, but more importantly it has a glass transition temp. This temp is when the nylon can sort of anneal itself and grow more crystals in itself which will not only cause shrinkage, but make the plastic "stronger"..."stronger" isn't necessarily a word we want to associate with this pin...we want more impact resistance.

Now the temperature at which this happens is pretty low. Depending on the nylon it can happen around 125 degrees Fahrenheit. Your receiver can get that hot. Also, cold weather will have the same effect on the strength. The strength raises (as in tensile, and flexural modulus), and the impact resistance lowers. It's not uncommon for me to shoot at 10 degrees or lower. I get the range to myself. And at those temps nylon can break.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:54 PM
sevendozen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I notice KIDDs and Volquartzen uses TPU (polyurethane) which is noted for its chemical resistance, its impact resistance, and sound deadening qualities. it's also an amorphous polymer which is resistant to shrinkage
Old 01-14-2019, 06:56 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox34 View Post
Plain Jane OEM trigger groups go for $30-$35 on ebay, send them to me, I'll sell 'em.
Just the Steel Buffer Pins...
Old 01-14-2019, 08:04 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I know of a mid 70s 10/22 that a close friends dad bought new that only saw HV brick ammo. after about 40k miles, my friend cleaned it when we were teenagers. he lost the bolt stop pin and put it back together without one. she another 60k after that and it ran fine. rifle shot great, but was filthy. i took it completely apart several years ago and put it back together. still as accurate, was always really accurate for a factory carbine. runs just as good with the buffer. didnt seem to have any elongation of the receiver hole for using the factory pin all those years and rounds. i think with the factory recoil spring the factory bolt stop is probably fine. i run buffers in mine anyway.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:31 PM
sevendozen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Also, Polycarbonate is prone to environmental stress cracking. Tough as hell, but when you introduce chemicals or solvents...that's when it runs into trouble
Old 01-14-2019, 11:00 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
This is pretty much 4 pages about a whole lot of nothing when it comes down to it.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:12 AM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_80 View Post
This is pretty much 4 pages about a whole lot of nothing when it comes down to it.
Yeah, I do not see the sense in it.

It is one's own predilection if he so chooses to install a buffer or not.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:23 AM
sevendozen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Plenty of good info. I don't see anything wrong with this
Old 01-17-2019, 09:29 PM
mperry07
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My 1974 10/22 steel bolt stop had no issues and still didn’t right up until I swapped it out for a nylon stop, man is the nylon stop reduce the recoil noise. Shoot with some sub-sonic and a silencer and you’ve got one quite 10/22 for the range or backyard plinking.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:02 PM
22MagRuger
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Steel Buffer

Except for the long term wear that the Steel Bolt Stop/Buffer can cause...I'm sure there's nothing technically wrong with them. I do like the fact it is much 'softer' on the Bolt...and has to cause much less vibration to the entire assembly. It just makes sense to me that whenever we can reduce or prevent metal to metal contact probably mean longer life and much more smooth operation.