Who else still uses Rugers steel bolt buffer ?? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:39 AM
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

pocked up a1/4" x 12" piece of black polycarbonate rod for $1.88 from McMaster-Carr, was meant for an auto trans shifter upgrade in a Jeep project but ended up not using it..may cut it up and experiment with it's use as a buffer material
Old 01-12-2019, 08:43 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking i like a soft buffer because

it makes the action more QUIET, I could hear the difference when I changed to a poly buffer. just my observation.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:03 AM
Ferox34
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have posted

on here a couple times about making them from nylon bolts from Home Depot. Just search Home Depot here and you can find it.

I can buy a pack of 2 bolts and make 4 buffers for a total cost of about 80 cents.

OR you can buy one from VQ for $12. Its a free country.

Ferox34
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2019, 09:12 AM
PhilF
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Buffers

I shot 10/22's in the 60's before buffers even existed. Gun worked fine. Forward to 2010, re-discovered 10/22's, found out about buffers, tried the Volquartson, had trouble getting it in/out, finally settled on the Kidd, for me, easy in/out, rationally, it quieted the action and lessened the battering. I just like the concept as a refinement to a classic and successful design. But I prefer thunk to clank! JMHO
Old 01-12-2019, 09:50 AM
m17hm2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
I like to run nylon buffers on my mach2's and hunting rigs that see HV stuff, but generally do the stock steel in rifles fed standard velocity..
Why nylon instead of rubber?
Old 01-12-2019, 10:03 AM
linux_author
US Coast Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No way I am going to pay $10 or so to get one when I can just get a foot-long stick of Delrin 150 and make my own - you can find the stick on the 'zon for less than $7 at the time of this writing, which is enough to make at least nine 1.25-inch by 1/4 buffers. I cut them with a Dremel, then slightly chamfer the edges. They seem to work, with little to no wear after several hundred rounds.

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

p.s. for however long this URL works (currently $6.60 w/free shipping):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-12-2019, 10:13 AM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've found most of the commercial plastic buffers are made a bit oversize and have to be driven into and out of the receiver for bolt removal.

I have one from TandemKkoss that miked 0.254" (the OEM steel pin and matching hole are 0.250") and it wouldn't go in without excessive force. I chucked it in a drill chuck and sanded it down to 0.251". Now it's a firm press fit by hand but it should have been the right diameter to start.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:15 AM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m17hm2 View Post
Why nylon instead of rubber?
want it stiff enough to be easily inserted and removed from receiver, also wanted it solvent resistant
Old 01-12-2019, 12:55 PM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
want it stiff enough to be easily inserted and removed from receiver, also wanted it solvent resistant
You also want it stiff enough to stay in the receiver after impact with the bolt. A flexible rubber buffer would bend enough to pop out. Kidd's buffers are soft rubber but have a steel insert pin to keep them in place.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:42 PM
Wiley Coyote
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
NEVER had a problem out of any of the OEM Bolt Stop Pins. The same can not be said for every Buffer I've tried. And that's been with OEM Triggers and the Kidd Single Stage Triggers. Haven't had a problem yet with the Kidd Two Stages units.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:01 PM
m17hm2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Are you making your own? All the after-markets seem to be one kind of rubber or another...
Old 01-12-2019, 03:18 PM
Outrider
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon p View Post
it makes the action more QUIET, I could hear the difference when I changed to a poly buffer. just my observation.
Imo, your observation is spot on. I have a couple of 1022s that are shot with suppersors installed; with the steel stop installed, the loudest sounds perceived by the shooter, in my experience, are those made by the action cycling, which overshadow the pop of the cartridge going off. After installation of the synthetic buffer, the pop of the cartridge going off is perceived by the shooter as louder than the action cycling. Unfortunately, I didn't think to have someone else shoot them in both conditions so that I could listen and get the non-shooter's perspective. Oh well....
Old 01-12-2019, 06:31 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m17hm2 View Post
Are you making your own? All the after-markets seem to be one kind of rubber or another...
Quote:
picked up a1/4" x 12" piece of black polycarbonate rod for $1.88 from McMaster-Carr, was meant for an auto trans shifter upgrade in a Jeep project but ended up not using it..may cut it up and experiment with it's use as a buffer material
maybe

figure I can easily get 9 buffers from a 1 foot rod that cost $1.88, so that's about $0.21 a buffer

their longevity compared to the aftermarket may be a different story..but some experimenting with that might be fun
Old 01-12-2019, 09:08 PM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by linux_author View Post
No way I am going to pay $10 or so to get one when I can just get a foot-long stick of Delrin 150 and make my own - you can find the stick on the 'zon for less than $7 at the time of this writing, which is enough to make at least nine 1.25-inch by 1/4 buffers. I cut them with a Dremel, then slightly chamfer the edges. They seem to work, with little to no wear after several hundred rounds.

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

p.s. for however long this URL works (currently $6.60 w/free shipping):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wish that link still worked....
Old 01-12-2019, 10:01 PM
eric123
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I use a cut off nylon bolt. Does quiet things down...Was less than $2 at The Home Depot...Never did have any issues with the stock metal pin though...