Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:00 PM
Tfarkas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Loose Slide, Worn Disconnector? FTF

My Buckmark is about 2 years old, was a Cabelas case model, and may have seen a few thousand rounds. Today it showed a complete failure to fire at the range, with the trigger pull resulting in a "click!", as if pulled when the hammer was not cocked.

I disassembled it (for the first time), played around, and discovered that the "click!" is the disconnector slipping off the sear. There's maybe some wear on the disconnector (a bit rounded?), but no wear on the sear. So I could replace the disconnector.

That said, there is some lateral play in the slide, so that if I apply lateral pressure to the slide, solid contact between the disconnector and sear is ensured, and the trigger will release the hammer every time.

Should I just buy a new disconnector, or worry about the play in the slide?

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2018, 08:48 PM
aprilian
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
What about the disconnector spring? It is U shaped and they can wear out.

Also, check the top strap screws are nice and tight.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:29 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
$ to donuts, the top screws were loose. Especially the back one. They are bad about that.

I doubt that the disconnector is that badly worn. The V spring could be getting weak. Spread it a bit and put it back in and see if you still have the FTFs.

If that was your first time disassembling the pistol, it was probably all gunked up.

VH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2018, 07:52 AM
chim
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
One possibility is the right grip interfering with movement of the disconnector pin. This is the pin in trigger that goes through the disconnector's front hole. Some grips are not relieved enough to allow free travel of that pin, and (rarely) the pin isn't set deep enough in the trigger for aftermarket grips.

When the pin contacts the grip, it doesn't allow the disconnector to move rearward and upward sufficiently to catch the arm of the sear.

Buck Mark Disassembly/Reassembly Page here:

http://chim.embarqspace.com/#
Old 12-14-2018, 11:33 AM
aprilian
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Another possibility (which I have personally dealt with twice) is the pin which goes through he safety click plate. If that pin isn't fully engaged, you get a click without the hammer falling. Solution is simply restaking the pin end.

Sorry for not having the schematic handy so that I could use the correct terms.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:53 PM
rdas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Why not bend the little tab at the top rear of the disconnector to the left a small amount (towards the middle of the gun)? That would prevent it from slipping off the sear.

I'd also take the slide off and check the wear inside, where it rubs the top of the disconnector. Perhaps that ramp is worn at an angle, causing the disconnector to get pushed to the right a little? If so, flatten that with a small file so that the slide only pushes the disconnector straight down, not down and out.

Similarly, I'd examine the wear on the top of the disconnector hump. It should be rounded in profile (from the side), but the bearing surface (top edge) should be flat.

One small thing I'm confused about with your description... do you really hear an audible "click"? I'm surprised that the disconnector slipping past the sear arm would make a clicking sound.

Dave