Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:57 PM
darticus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BROWNING MARK PRO TARGET QUESTION

Does this Pro model exist. I have heard people refer to this as a PRO. Do they make a Pro Target? Is this an older model? Is one Browning a better target gun than another. Any place on the web to see the Pro model?
How do these to the Ruger target models? Thanks Ron
Old 12-06-2018, 07:20 AM
chim
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
"Pro Target" is a catchy term that refers to a sight type and not a model.

My first choice would be a 5.5 Target or 5.5 Field, followed by a (steel) 5.5 Contour. The balance of these pistols feels good to me. The older Buck Marks and the UFX-gripped frames allow for a greater selection of grips.

I have both Rugers and Brownings. I have always favored the Brownings. If you go ask the question on a Ruger board the answer will likely be different there.

Several years ago I started shooting the old Brownings (mostly Challengers and different versions of Medalists) and the Buck Marks didn't get much range time. I'm now shooting a Nelson 1911/.22 top on a Kimber frame in matches and for the past two years have used it almost exclusively.

Buck Mark Disassembly/Reassembly Page here:

http://chim.embarqspace.com/#
Old 12-06-2018, 08:40 AM
darticus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chim View Post
"Pro Target" is a catchy term that refers to a sight type and not a model.

My first choice would be a 5.5 Target or 5.5 Field, followed by a (steel) 5.5 Contour. The balance of these pistols feels good to me. The older Buck Marks and the UFX-gripped frames allow for a greater selection of grips.

I have both Rugers and Brownings. I have always favored the Brownings. If you go ask the question on a Ruger board the answer will likely be different there.

Several years ago I started shooting the old Brownings (mostly Challengers and different versions of Medalists) and the Buck Marks didn't get much range time. I'm now shooting a Nelson 1911/.22 top on a Kimber frame in matches and for the past two years have used it almost exclusively.
Glad I asked I was looking at a 7.25 barrel Browning hunter but now you have me thinking differently. I do like target grips. Does a longer 7.25 barrel have an advantage in target shooting. Thanks Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2018, 11:39 AM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darticus View Post
Glad I asked I was looking at a 7.25 barrel Browning hunter but now you have me thinking differently. I do like target grips. Does a longer 7.25 barrel have an advantage in target shooting. Thanks Ron
The Hunter model has the same standard/UFX grip frame as the Field, Target, and Field-Target models that chim mentioned. The two other types of Buckmark grip frames are called URX and UDX. The Contour models are usually (always?) URX grip frames. There is a sticky thread about the differences between the types of grip frames.

The Hunter makes a nice target pistol (I have one, and use it for that), assuming you want the fiber-optic front sight and/or the short Weaver (not Picatinny) rail. The longer barrel doesn't noticeably increase the accuracy of the gun, but will help you shoot more accurately when using the iron sights due to the increased sight radius (which is the distance between the front and rear sights). If you're going to mount a red dot, the barrel length is less of a factor.

Since you're asking about advantages, what kind of target shooting are you looking to get into?

Dave
Old 12-06-2018, 12:43 PM
darticus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdas View Post
The Hunter model has the same standard/UFX grip frame as the Field, Target, and Field-Target models that chim mentioned. The two other types of Buckmark grip frames are called URX and UDX. The Contour models are usually (always?) URX grip frames. There is a sticky thread about the differences between the types of grip frames.

The Hunter makes a nice target pistol (I have one, and use it for that), assuming you want the fiber-optic front sight and/or the short Weaver (not Picatinny) rail. The longer barrel doesn't noticeably increase the accuracy of the gun, but will help you shoot more accurately when using the iron sights due to the increased sight radius (which is the distance between the front and rear sights). If you're going to mount a red dot, the barrel length is less of a factor.

Since you're asking about advantages, what kind of target shooting are you looking to get into?

Dave
I' m older and don't know which target group to get into. I go to the range just to shoot bulls. I do have some nice guns but always looking to try new ones. I have a High Standard "The Victor", a HS Supermatic Citation, a Woodsman Match Target, a S&W 41 a Ruger Hunter MK III and a Ruger Competition. All nice shooting guns.
The brownings seem hard to find named the correct way. I think you said a browning hunter target is a model but can't seem to find. Thanks for all your info. Ron
Old 12-06-2018, 04:44 PM
darticus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I looked today and see the current models but I don't see a 5.5 target by this name. You said Target 5.5 first choice than 5.5 field and 5.5 contour. What is the real name of the best target pistol they make? I was thinking hunter but maybe your suggestions are much better. Ron
Old 12-07-2018, 10:40 AM
chim

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darticus View Post
I looked today and see the current models but I don't see a 5.5 target by this name. You said Target 5.5 first choice than 5.5 field and 5.5 contour. What is the real name of the best target pistol they make? I was thinking hunter but maybe your suggestions are much better. Ron
The 5.5 Target and 5.5 Field have been discontinued. Those were the names the pistols were given by Browning. Current production shows a Buck Mark Field Target with a 5-1/2" barrel. If someone told me to help myself to one Buck Mark in the display case this would be it:

https://www.browning.com/products/fi...ld-target.html

It looks like it doesn't have a setscrew for overtravel adjustment like the discontinued models I listed. The 5.5 Target came with shields over the sights and the front sight was a pin. The 5.5 Field had sights that resemble those on the current model in the link above.

I've drilled triggers for overtravel screws and bought some from Browning over the years. Also, there are now some aftermarket triggers w/ overtravel screws. In my opinion, an overtravel screw is the largest improvement that can be made.

Here are the older pistols. You can see the OT screws high on the back side of the triggers:

https://www.browning.com/products/fi...55-target.html

https://www.browning.com/products/fi...-55-field.html

Buck Mark Disassembly/Reassembly Page here:

http://chim.embarqspace.com/#
Old 12-07-2018, 02:23 PM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chim View Post
If someone told me to help myself to one Buck Mark in the display case this would be it:

https://www.browning.com/products/fi...ld-target.html
+1

I have both a Hunter model and two of the now-discontinued "5.5 Target" models. All three are good target pistols. I use them for NRA Precision Pistol, aka Bullseye competitions. They are capable of shooting Master-level scores (I shot 572 out of 600, which is 95.3%, with one of the 5.5 Target models just last night).

Dave
Old 12-07-2018, 03:03 PM
darticus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdas View Post
+1

I have both a Hunter model and two of the now-discontinued "5.5 Target" models. All three are good target pistols. I use them for NRA Precision Pistol, aka Bullseye competitions. They are capable of shooting Master-level scores (I shot 572 out of 600, which is 95.3%, with one of the 5.5 Target models just last night).

Dave
Great shooting!

From what I see the field target 5.5 and the hunter 7.25 are very similar accept for barrel length. Are we saying both should make great target guns. Thanks Ron
Old 12-07-2018, 08:10 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Just a couple of thoughts from my ownership and shooting experience.

First, if your going to shoot informally, then any of the guns mentioned above will work. If your going to compete then you need to match the features (mainly sight type, barrel length and ease of mounting an optic) to the type of competition you are going to get into. ( For instance, for bullseye, a steel framed pistol with traditional black "target sights" along with a solid rail and a 5.5" barrel seem to rule.).
Where as speed shooting at steel usually calls for a quick pointing pistol with a lighter frame and fiber optic sights on a longer barrel. (Unless shooting with an optic then sights and barrel length don't matter so much.)
FWIW, I shot mostly Rugers (and then a Pardini) in my Gallery competition days but recently picked up a 5.5" Contour that I know would work very well in that game.