Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:03 PM
ml1209

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
A sim card fixed my Buckmark

Just got a Buckmark URX and I noticed the mag release button is really stiff to depress. I thought about getting an aftermarket mag release part from Tandem Kross, until I took the rubber URX grip off. The magazine latch spring fell out easily (which is normal), and I looked around. I found an old sim card and put it on top of the mag latch spring. Then I screwed the rubber grip over it, tightening the screw so that the grip presses against the mag latch spring, with the sim card wedged in between.

Of course, you can use any small, flat plate, but I found the sim card was just the right thickness and size.

Problem solved! The mag release button, when pressed, doesn't take nearly as much force to depress and the magazine falls out quickly and freely.

(Sim card shown in red outline)

Old 11-29-2018, 01:20 PM
rdas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's funny, and also kinda cool.

If you're concerned about the sim card moving around while shooting, and then interfering with the disconnector or magazine disconnector safety wire, maybe a little rubber cement to attach the sim card to the inside of the grip would keep it in place?

In trying to imagine why putting extra pressure on the magazine latch spring (via the sim card) would make a significant difference in the effort required to release a magazine... I'm wondering if a notch or burr developed where the T-shaped magazine latch spring rubs against the magazine latch. If so, perhaps smoothing that out and lubing it would eliminate the need for the sim card?

In this photo, you can see where the magazine latch spring rubs against the magazine latch; it's the greyish rectangle.

Dave

P.S. I'm happy to see people making good use of my Buckmark photos.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:20 PM
ml1209

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdas View Post
That's funny, and also kinda cool.

If you're concerned about the sim card moving around while shooting, and then interfering with the disconnector or magazine disconnector safety wire, maybe a little rubber cement to attach the sim card to the inside of the grip would keep it in place?

In trying to imagine why putting extra pressure on the magazine latch spring (via the sim card) would make a significant difference in the effort required to release a magazine... I'm wondering if a notch or burr developed where the T-shaped magazine latch spring rubs against the magazine latch. If so, perhaps smoothing that out and lubing it would eliminate the need for the sim card?

In this photo, you can see where the magazine latch spring rubs against the magazine latch; it's the greyish rectangle.

Dave

P.S. I'm happy to see people making good use of my Buckmark photos.

I examined the parts before putting in the sim card and didn't any anomaly. I tried with and without the sim card twice before leaving the sim card in. There is a difference. I don't know why the sim card would make a difference either, unless it was holding the top half of the mag latch spring firmly in place to allow for the spring part to do its thing. Anyway, I'm really happy with the mag release now, and it didn't cost me $30.

I appreciate your photo by the way. I forgot to take a pic when I had it apart, and was too lazy to take the grip off again to snap one. So I found yours for my illustration.