Typical 17HMR accuracy - Page 7 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:54 PM
John125

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Hoestly, Have not put the to them to the test on game yet. I bought the rifle about a month back and hadn't been happy with the accuracy so it stayed home.

I built a 10/22 with a Kidd barrel years back and it holds .5" and under with a variety of ammo. It has been my squirrel killer... until now.

I may have a report on the NTX's very soon.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:48 PM
MN22LRFan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
About the best I have done for 50 shots, 5X groups, 50 yards, Remington 547C. Excluding the flyer in the 10th group, upper right, the group average, c-to-c, was about 0.370", under 3/8". Great results for a sporter weight trigger and barrel.
Hornady V-Max 17 gr. Sure is fun shooting tiny groups !

Update March 21, 2019, same rifle best 5 shot group with Federal Spitfire brand 17 gr v-max tipped ammo, 50 yards again, finally a really nice day, 48F sunny low wind. Best I could measure was about 7/32" c-to-c, 0.22":

Last edited by MN22LRFan; 03-21-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:00 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MN22LRFan,

Those look pretty good to me. I would be happy and satisfied if mine shot that well. Next week my Tikka in 17 HMR will finally get here. I will have a shootout with my Anschutz 17 LP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019, 03:39 PM
plumas
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My goodness...shoots well...sight it in at your preferred yardage and leave it alone...looks to be doing as good as it gets! Congrats on a fine accurate rifle.

I've got mine zero'd at 125...for squirrels can hold dead on to 150 yards, it's somewhere between 3/4"high at 75 yds to 1.5" low at 150 so a low chest cross-hair always hits...bout my limit for the 17.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:33 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I finally got to shoot my Tikka 17 HMR. I'm pretty happy with it. I'll have photos up later on.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:38 AM
Tgilmer

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
HMR accuracy

I've had an old 452 for years. I worked on the bedding and the trigger and used it heavily for everything. Mostly with 20grain XTPs. In the early ammo days this gun shot 17gr vmax and XTP loads to the same point at 100 yards and most groups on calm days were .4-.6 with an occasional flyer making ot a 1" gun. I was in love. Still am. But these days the ammo does not seam as consistent. It seams that every 5 shot group has a flyer or two. Also this rifle only shoots like this for about 25 rounds. Then it goes south real quick.
Next I believe I owned the only right side safety Anschtz 1717 Meistergrade that made it to the US. This thing was wicked! It shot everything great. Shot the best a little dirty up to 200 or so rounds. At 100 yards you could cover most groups with flyers with a nickle. And the good ones were way under a dime. BUT.... It was a HB gun and the wood was just OK. Here in Missouri we hunt tree squirrels not prairie dogs. So I sold it.
I also now have a Sako Quad with a Lilja barrel and McMillan stock. The core groups are almost as good as the Annie but the flyers seem be farther out. It will put 3-4 rounds on a 1/4" bug hole at 100 then drop one 1/2-3/4 out. I'm still breaking this one in and getting to know it. And it's getting better.
I just received a 547c from the custom shop at Remington/Dakota built on a blank I sent them. I shot it for the first time last week with 5 different ammo styles. The good groups were 1". The bad around 1-1/2". It needs broke in. The groups are fairly symmetrical so it will be good enough for hunting. All these guns depend on the batch of ammo. I'd also like to say the XTP and Game Point loads are amazing on game. They don't over explode edible game, and penetrate much better on Coyotes. Also thes days I have had the best groups and most consistent groups from CCI Gamepoints.
Old 05-11-2019, 01:48 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tgilmer,

Thanks for that information. I have come close a few times buying a 1517 but haven't. It doesn't come threaded and I love using the Sparrow. On this gun it made my DB drop from around 100 to 87. I use an app called Decibel X on my phone and placed the phone under my trigger guard. The sound difference is much greater than 13 or so DB. Shooting without the Sparrow and muffs makes my left ear ring and hurt. This isn't sustainable on the bench. With the Sparrow, ear protection is not needed at all. A suppressed 17 HMR is much more effective than I ever thought.

On with the Tikka. You mention CCI Gamepoints shot the best but in my Tikka they shot the worst, I only had 2 out of 9 5-shot groups under .5". Low ammo prevented me from shooting 10 groups. I thought I had more ammo as a whole than that I did which is why I didn't shoot my Anschutz 17LP.

In order of shooting, I shot groups as listed here from top to bottom. The last target is all 10-shot groups. I didn't have enough ammo to get ten 5-shot groups so I thought 10-shot groups would be best. My only fear in doing this is stray's interfering with other groups but thankfully that didn't happen. Individual commentary to follow.

First up, CCI VNT 17 Grain. This was my new ammo. Just bought 100 rounds to test with and hadn't used it before now. Used this ammo to sight in with and then proceeded to shoot this target. It did good, neither great nor bad but I would consider good. My personal goal is 10 for 10 5-shot groups, 1/2" or better.

Next was CCI TNT 17 Grain. I only had 50 rounds to shoot so I shot all on this plate. It shot about the same as the VNT did.

Next was the CCI Gamepoint 20 Grain. I only had 45 rounds of this ammo so I shot all on one plate. I have no plate to show because I only had 2 of 9 at 1/2" or less. I do keep all my targets for future reference but I don't always take time to photo, download, describe and upload bad groups.

Last plate; 10-shot groups were shot at all 10 bullseye's. Shooting order is top-left to right and repeat. Only exception this time is I shot the CCI VNT last. After shooting the first ten shot with Winchester Varmint HV I made a scope adjustment, after that no scope adjustments were made. The shot to shot consistency among all brands and bullet weights really surprised me. It appears the Tikka is getting better with shooting?? The last group I shot, I had a few screwups, lost concentration and all the previous groups was very satisfying so I was in a "let's get this over with" moment.

Overall I believe I have a winner with this Tikka T1x 17 HMR. I have said several times now, "I think everyone should own at least one Tikka T1x"...well, now I think everyone should own at least two.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:28 AM
Eddyb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I want to find a good 17 HMR scope. Can someone share the experience for me?
Old 05-16-2019, 02:22 AM
plumas
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Without defining the use for the rifle it's pretty open to anything you want.
So, decide what do you want to shoot and at what distances.

My 17HMR has an Athlon 3-12x and is perfect for ground squirrels out to 175 yards. Amazon for under $150.
Good glass and a 3rd turret. It's not a $500 model, but I don't need to make 400 yards shots with it either.

Last edited by plumas; 05-16-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:42 AM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My scope choice...

I have a Ruger .17 HMR with a Leupold A.O. 4-12 power scope and it is the last in a number of scopes I have had on the rifle. I think it is the best compromise of power range and size, at least for me. Overall appearance does matter in my decisions concerning guns. I have been please with Leupold as a company and a product over many years, you won't go wrong choosing one.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:54 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyb View Post
I want to find a good 17 HMR scope. Can someone share the experience for me?
Welcome to RFC Eddyb!
Check out this Forum for more info about scopes.~ https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...splay.php?f=32
Old 05-21-2019, 07:56 PM
coloradokid

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Its hard to beat Leupold or Burris, lifetime warranty receipt or not. Am especially fond of scopes in 4.5-14 magnification range. My favorite for hunting, from 5yards to 200yards. Pick your magnification range, pick the reticle you want, clarity is a must, then look at brands that meet your want / need list. To me money comes last on list, quality costs. If you are not gonna cheap on gun, ammo or experiences, then don't cheap on scope either. Go to local gun stores and shows, look through every scope you can and then make up your mind.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:54 AM
Eddyb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Welcome to RFC Eddyb!
Check out this Forum for more info about scopes.~ https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...splay.php?f=32
Thanks so much
Old 05-25-2019, 11:16 PM
bob hardy
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm convinced that our rifles are better than the ammo we're fed. When I bought my Sav. Btvs some years ago, I bought 10 boxes of Remington. This stuff was fantastic. 100 yd gps.un.5 was normal. Some way under. I bought a brick of Hornady, and it too was great. The ammo hasn't been nearly as good since no matter the brand.
Bob
Old 05-27-2019, 06:53 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Neither CCI or Winchester manufacture rimfire ammo for precision shooting.
As they are the only makers of 17hmr and for it's intended use as a small game
or varminting cartridge, they are adequate. Some batches are better than others
and your results depend on the ammo assembly line lottery. Do you feel lucky?